Boys Names

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boys Names

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 pm

what about guys like Art Rooney II - can you give any boy the same name as one of his ancestors and tack on II?

my dad was a JR, what if I gave my kid his/his dad's exact name? Would he be W.R.M. III/the 3rd?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:what about guys like Art Rooney II - can you give any boy the same name as one of his ancestors and tack on II?

my dad was a JR, what if I gave my kid his/his dad's exact name? Would he be W.R.M. III/the 3rd?

That is how Popes and Kings work...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Garner and the etiquette folks would say that Art Rooney should drop that "II" because the "I" is no longer alive. I'm not sure if the rule applies if the name skips a generation. Either way, something like Jr. or III only applies to differentiate people who are actually alive. If the people higher up the chain are dead, then the appellation is dropped.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby obhave on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm one of those crazy women that already knows what I am naming my first boy (both first and middle name) hopefully my future partner doesn't care and it flows with the last name.

I like Logan. Ambiguous names are really not that big of an issue. I think names that are hard to spell or pronounce are a much bigger issue for kids when growing up.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 pm

I've always favored Zod. But with the new Superman movie out there to popularize it, can't see it happening now.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR