Microsoft changes its DRM requirements for the new Xbox

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Microsoft changes its DRM requirements for the new Xbox

Postby PhantomJB93 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 am

Spangler wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:Obviously they needed to, but it's too little too late for me. They overplayed their hand assuming the PS4 would have similar restrictions. They just look like huge ******* now because you know they never would have made these changes if Sony didn't come out at E3 and give the PS4 everything their customers were asking for. Sony forced them to do this to win back the customers they lost but, especially with the extra $100 price tag, they've already lost me, and I can only assume it's too late for several others too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had some of the limitations that Microsoft was going to implement, but they chose to hide it to see what Microsoft was going to do. Once that disaster exploded in Microsoft's face, Sony knew they needed to scrap it right away.

Remember Sony never really explained a whole lot when they had their original conference.

Honestly though, if Sony had given the PS4 the same restrictions on used games and such, the gaming world would have gotten over it eventually. Not saying it wouldn't have sucked for us as the consumers but if the Wii U was the only other option everyone would have eventually just sucked it up and dealt with it instead of boycotting. That's why Sony coming out and doing what they did was such a game changer and why I was so surprised by it, yeah there was the initial backlash at Microsoft at the XB1 reveal but the endless criticism and boycott threats would have never amounted to anything if Sony didn't give them the exact alternative they were looking for, and they did. They could have easily made the PS4 a cheaper XB1 with the same limitations and done well with sales just because of the price difference, making a quick buck off the used games BS in the process, and instead they sacrificed whatever profit would have come of restricting used games and probably made a whole lot more by simply stealing Xbox fans away from Microsoft.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am

Here's a good Xbox discussion. They also talk to the guy that broke the news about Microsoft's change in the beginning of the video.

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:41 am

They have now lost me as a customer, i'm getting a PS4.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR