Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby Eismann on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Gaucho wrote:I've probably said it when quoting Public Enemy, William Faulkner, or The Wire. *shrug*

So pretty much:

Gaucho: Say, my fellow physics chess club chums, would any of you happened to have examined the poetry in that new Public Enemy ditty?

Fellow physics chess clubber: Eh what, my good man? Pray thee tell, recount it for us as we sip juniper tea and roll our mustaches.

Gaucho: "this is what I mean: an anti-nword machine."

All: Brilliant!
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:lol, will any of you admit you used it when you got pissed off or something? no. Ok, all angels here.

I’ve certainly said it, most likely in the context of racist jokes that were not uncommon when I was younger.

thank you

btw, oh my lord, no, i don't think you're racist
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Sarcastic wrote:lol, will any of you admit you used it when you got pissed off or something? no. Ok, all angels here.

I said it for the sake of bad comedy when I was younger and dumber. But again, I don't understand its utility as an expletive.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Yes, of course.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Sarcastic wrote:btw, oh my lord, no, i don't think you're racist

Thank you. My experience is that it’s completely unnecessary to dislike people on a broad basis like race (something that’s beyond anyone’s control anyway) when there are often so many good reasons to dislike them individually.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Shyster wrote:

Thank you. My experience is that it’s completely unnecessary to dislike people on a broad basis like race (something that’s beyond anyone’s control anyway) when there are often so many good reasons to dislike them individually.

So true.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Shyster wrote:

So true.

I'm not sure racism even makes sense (to the ones who look for it) in this modern era when there is so much variety among people.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 pm

No... I was brought up to believe that it is an awful word that has no worth. I don't really get why someone would use it when they are mad either. I'm not going to call a woman the C word when I'm mad at her or a gay person the f word when I'm mad at him. Those are derogatory terms meant to single a person out for a specific reason, which would seemingly be viewed as a negative if you're using it when you're mad only. It's not like dropping the other f bomb. I think words do have weight.... And I don't say that to say I'm better than anyone. I just view it differently than others I guess.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:05 pm

MWB wrote:

No... I was brought up to believe that it is an awful word that has no worth. I don't really get why someone would use it when they are mad either. I'm not going to call a woman the C word when I'm mad at her or a gay person the f word when I'm mad at him. Those are derogatory terms meant to single a person out for a specific reason, which would seemingly be viewed as a negative if you're using it when you're mad only. It's not like dropping the other f bomb. I think words do have weight.... And I don't say that to say I'm better than anyone. I just view it differently than others I guess.

+1 million
:thumb:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TPW on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:As did Bill Maher.

His opinion on this isn't very surprising, considering the fact that he got fired by ABC "just for saying something", and I was pretty surprised he didn't make a nod to it while he was making his point about this situation.
TPW
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 am

MWB wrote:

There is no way you can be this proper and this polite. You never used the word C even. OK. Or F. OK. Either you're lying or you've lived in some sort of a bubble and I don't mean to offend you, I just don't think that's very realistic. Ever rapped a song with the N word? No. How about told an offensive joke or some kind... a racist one or a blonde joke. There is true racism or bigotry and there is saying stupid stuff just to say stupid stuff for a reason or another. I would guess 99% of us are guilty of that on occasion.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 am

It has nothing to do with being proper and polite. I swear more than I should, but there's some words that I don't really use or don't use in certain ways. I don't understand why you think I must live in a bubble or be lying about it. It's basically a handful of words that I find offensive. As for offensive jokes, yes, I'm sure I've told offensive jokes before. Again, I'm not saying I've never offended people or said inappropriate things. It's kind of weird that you seem to think I live in some sort of sheltered world because I don't say n*****, or that I'm not calling someone a c*** or f*****. If you're comfortable using those words, fine, have at it. I'm not judging you or anyone else based solely on saying a word. Not sure why you'd want to judge people for it in the opposite way.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:25 pm

TPW wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:As did Bill Maher.

His opinion on this isn't very surprising, considering the fact that he got fired by ABC "just for saying something", and I was pretty surprised he didn't make a nod to it while he was making his point about this situation.

Yeah, for being such an open atheist he certainly does like to trot out that cross every now and again.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm

I don't even know who bill maher is upset with. He can't be mad at the food network. It's a simple business decision. Is it society for giving the food network the impression that they needed to get rid of her? It's not "thanks obama", but it's not the opposite either.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a video of her making some pretty cringe-worthy comments. I think this video sort of illustrates the casualness of racism in southern culture.

If I'm understanding her correctly, her great-grandfather committed suicide after the Civil War (referred to only as 'the war' by Deen) because he couldn't adjust to life post-slave. Going from having 30 people "on the books" to zero overnight was just too much for him to bear, apparently.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a video of her making some pretty cringe-worthy comments. I think this video sort of illustrates the casualness of racism in southern culture.

If I'm understanding her correctly, her great-grandfather committed suicide after the Civil War (referred to only as 'the war' by Deen) because he couldn't adjust to life post-slave. Going from having 30 people "on the books" to zero overnight was just too much for him to bear, apparently.

it's surprising that she can be so profoundly ignorant even after all these years in the entertainment industry.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 pm

So why is it still OK for black people to say "white people this that etc".

If it's racist for Deen, it's racist when the exact same thing is said only with colors reversed.

That this amaxing hypocrisy is allowed to flourish is a horrible hallmark of a regressing society.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:45 pm

For example...
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 pm

MWB wrote:For example...

Everything Whoopie Goldberg has ever said.

Everything every black comic has ever said.

Almost everything every other black commentator on TV, radio and teh internetts has ever said.

Almost everything any black artist or musician has ever said.

Paula Deen: "Yall black people are just so crazy!"

Public reax: "Racist, hating evil! Fire her! ARRRRRRGGHHH"

Whoopi: "Yall white people are just so crazy!"

Public reax: "Ha ha ha! She's so smart. Give her a tv show and millions of dollars,"
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Oh, ok.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Eismann wrote:Everything every black comic has ever said.

Almost everything every other black commentator on TV, radio and teh internetts has ever said.

Almost everything any black artist or musician has ever said.

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:43 pm

MWB wrote:It has nothing to do with being proper and polite. I swear more than I should, but there's some words that I don't really use or don't use in certain ways. I don't understand why you think I must live in a bubble or be lying about it. It's basically a handful of words that I find offensive. As for offensive jokes, yes, I'm sure I've told offensive jokes before. Again, I'm not saying I've never offended people or said inappropriate things. It's kind of weird that you seem to think I live in some sort of sheltered world because I don't say n*****, or that I'm not calling someone a c*** or f*****. If you're comfortable using those words, fine, have at it. I'm not judging you or anyone else based solely on saying a word. Not sure why you'd want to judge people for it in the opposite way.

I'm not judging you at all. You seem like a cool dude, I just have a hard time believing you would never get angry at some crazy chick and call her an 'annoying C' under your nose. Or that you never called one of your buddies the F word to mean a wimp or a coward. I think we all did that. I mean, what are we to do, get rid of all the descriptive/swear words? First the C word, then the B word, and then we just have to be polite to each other all the time. F that. Some people are a-holes and deserve a fitting comment. I think people get too easily offended anyway and all this political correctness is nauseating. Can't even use the word '******' anymore, which was perfectly accepted at one point. Pretty soon they'll install filters in our mouth.

edit: wow, the R word is banned here.... you know, mentally-challenged.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Pretty soon they'll install filters in our mouth.

Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm

:lol:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
MWB wrote:It has nothing to do with being proper and polite. I swear more than I should, but there's some words that I don't really use or don't use in certain ways. I don't understand why you think I must live in a bubble or be lying about it. It's basically a handful of words that I find offensive. As for offensive jokes, yes, I'm sure I've told offensive jokes before. Again, I'm not saying I've never offended people or said inappropriate things. It's kind of weird that you seem to think I live in some sort of sheltered world because I don't say n*****, or that I'm not calling someone a c*** or f*****. If you're comfortable using those words, fine, have at it. I'm not judging you or anyone else based solely on saying a word. Not sure why you'd want to judge people for it in the opposite way.

I'm not judging you at all. You seem like a cool dude, I just have a hard time believing you would never get angry at some crazy chick and call her an 'annoying C' under your nose. Or that you never called one of your buddies the F word to mean a wimp or a coward. I think we all did that. I mean, what are we to do, get rid of all the descriptive/swear words? First the C word, then the B word, and then we just have to be polite to each other all the time. F that. Some people are a-holes and deserve a fitting comment. I think people get too easily offended anyway and all this political correctness is nauseating. Can't even use the word '******' anymore, which was perfectly accepted at one point. Pretty soon they'll install filters in our mouth.

edit: wow, the R word is banned here.... you know, mentally-challenged.

I guess some of us may have a different definition of a "fitting comment" when one is angry. I would never use the n, c, or f word towards someone. In the case of the n and f word, they hold so much more weight than any swear word due to their history and I grew up learning that. They aren't just swear words, they are derogatory.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR