Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:48 pm

obhave wrote:I guess some of us may have a different definition of a "fitting comment" when one is angry. I would never use the n, c, or f word towards someone. In the case of the n and f word, they hold so much more weight than any swear word due to their history and I grew up learning that. They aren't just swear words, they are derogatory.

The N word should be off limits because that is a racist remark. The C word is just like the B word and I have no problem with that being in play. I know some women find it more offensive than the other, but I've yet to hear the explanation. The F word was in use a whole lot when I was growing up and it meant a feminine guy, just recently it seems to have been taken over by that side so now it's off limits. Just like word 'gay'. That used to mean happy, now I can't even use it anymore without feeling like I'm offending somebody. Maybe if all these people went to a psychologist and worked on some issues they have with being so offended by everything said, looking for racism or bigotry where a word is just a word, we wouldn't have these issues.

You know what's a cool way of dealing with the F word? I was hanging out with this guy I know, who is gay, and some of this friends where there and a passerby called one of them a 'F'. His reaction was to laugh and start repeating that word with a French accent. I thought it was fantastic and the other guy who wanted to insult him just walked away. That's how you deal with that crap and stop getting so damn hysterical. It almost feels like a mental issue some people have with being so offended when others say things like it matters so much. I don't care what someone calls me. I know me and I know better and I just don't care.

And what is your problem with 'derogatory' now? If you're fighting with someone and you feel they're a total a-hole, what, you want to be respectful then too? What kind of silliness is that.

Hey, soon they're gong to make it socially unacceptable to call someone an idiot or a moron. It's this culture where we are being forced to watch our mouth because everybody is just so sensitive all of a sudden.

Now don't you go start thinking I walk around using words like that daily because that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that people get offended too easily.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
MWB wrote:It has nothing to do with being proper and polite. I swear more than I should, but there's some words that I don't really use or don't use in certain ways. I don't understand why you think I must live in a bubble or be lying about it. It's basically a handful of words that I find offensive. As for offensive jokes, yes, I'm sure I've told offensive jokes before. Again, I'm not saying I've never offended people or said inappropriate things. It's kind of weird that you seem to think I live in some sort of sheltered world because I don't say n*****, or that I'm not calling someone a c*** or f*****. If you're comfortable using those words, fine, have at it. I'm not judging you or anyone else based solely on saying a word. Not sure why you'd want to judge people for it in the opposite way.

I'm not judging you at all. You seem like a cool dude, I just have a hard time believing you would never get angry at some crazy chick and call her an 'annoying C' under your nose. Or that you never called one of your buddies the F word to mean a wimp or a coward. I think we all did that. I mean, what are we to do, get rid of all the descriptive/swear words? First the C word, then the B word, and then we just have to be polite to each other all the time. F that. Some people are a-holes and deserve a fitting comment. I think people get too easily offended anyway and all this political correctness is nauseating. Can't even use the word '******' anymore, which was perfectly accepted at one point. Pretty soon they'll install filters in our mouth.

edit: wow, the R word is banned here.... you know, mentally-challenged.

It's not like the b word is a gateway to the c word or other words. Again, there are a handful of words I choose not to say. As for other swear words.... well, I say them quite a bit. And again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't say them or be polite all the time. I really don't know why you keep going that route. That's not what I'm saying at all. Just because I don't say a couple words doesn't mean I'm PC and say things like, "That man really seems to have a bee in his bonnet!" I say or think, "What a f****** a******!"

And btw, you can use whatever words you want. Why get mad at others because they find them offensive? Is it that important?

obhave wrote:I guess some of us may have a different definition of a "fitting comment" when one is angry. I would never use the n, c, or f word towards someone. In the case of the n and f word, they hold so much more weight than any swear word due to their history and I grew up learning that. They aren't just swear words, they are derogatory.

I feel the exact same way.

Sarcastic wrote:
The N word should be off limits because that is a racist remark. The C word is just like the B word and I have no problem with that being in play. I know some women find it more offensive than the other, but I've yet to hear the explanation. The F word was in use a whole lot when I was growing up and it meant a feminine guy, just recently it seems to have been taken over by that side so now it's off limits. Just like word 'gay'. That used to mean happy, now I can't even use it anymore without feeling like I'm offending somebody. Maybe if all these people went to a psychologist and worked on some issues they have with being so offended by everything said, looking for racism or bigotry where a word is just a word, we wouldn't have these issues.

You know what's a cool way of dealing with the F word? I was hanging out with this guy I know, who is gay, and some of this friends where there and a passerby called one of them a 'F'. His reaction was to laugh and start repeating that word with a French accent. I thought it was fantastic and the other guy who wanted to insult him just walked away. That's how you deal with that crap and stop getting so damn hysterical. It almost feels like a mental issue some people have with being so offended when others say things like it matters so much. I don't care what someone calls me. I know me and I know better and I just don't care.

And what is your problem with 'derogatory' now? If you're fighting with someone and you feel they're a total a-hole, what, you want to be respectful then too? What kind of silliness is that.

Hey, soon they're gong to make it socially unacceptable to call someone an idiot or a moron. It's this culture where we are being forced to watch our mouth because everybody is just so sensitive all of a sudden.

Now don't you go start thinking I walk around using words like that daily because that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that people get offended too easily.

I agree that people should deal with bigotry or words they find offensive in the way you stated. But why does me or someone else not wanting to say certain words matter in this sense? That's a personal decision on my part. Honestly, you seem like you're more sensitive about this than I am.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm

the N word and the C word aren't even in the same category. one is a targeted insult used as a response to some sort of voluntary behavior. the other has no meaning other than to demean an entire race of people. i kind of get the tangent this thread took, but the 2 words aren't comparable.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Quite a few women think they are. And in the sense the Dean admitted to using the n word, it was in response to a person voluntarily acting a certain way, ie robbery.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

MWB wrote:Quite a few women think they are. And in the sense the Dean admitted to using the n word, it was in response to a person voluntarily acting a certain way, ie robbery.

it's a nasty word, but those women are wrong.

i think if someone uses it in the way you just described, 9 times out of 10, that person has been waiting for an opportunity to say it, and has either a latent or overt dislike of black people.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

I don't get the "it was used in a special circumstance and you might too" argument.
The implication is that it is some sort of deep seeded, default (and therefore "natural") response that one is holding onto for special occasions.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:27 pm

columbia wrote:I don't get the "it was used in a special circumstance and you might too" argument.
The implication is that it is some sort of deep seeded, default (and therefore "natural") response that one is holding onto for special occasions.

exactly.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm

shmenguin wrote:
i think if someone uses it in the way you just described, 9 times out of 10, that person has been waiting for an opportunity to say it, and has either a latent or overt dislike of black people.

I agree with that completely.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Frankly, it makes the argument that a person IS a racist and spends 99.99% of the time containing it.

That's a terrible defense.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:30 pm

How is the "c" word not very similar? That word isn't saying a woman is a b***h, it's saying that women are nothing more than genitalia only good for one thing. It's a disgusting, demeaning word and shows a lack of respect for all women. Anyone who says that word is only used for women acting a certain way is the same as someone using the n word saying, "I don't have anything against black people but I hate n's."
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:How is the "c" word not very similar? That word isn't saying a woman is a b***h, it's saying that women are nothing more than genitalia only good for one thing. It's a disgusting, demeaning word and shows a lack of respect for all women. Anyone who says that word is only used for women acting a certain way is the same as someone using the n word saying, "I don't have anything against black people but I hate n's."

that word is used as a targeted response to behavior. it isn't used abstractly towards women. that's the difference.

of course some nuts out there probably throw it around left and right, but those are the exceptions.

but like it said, it's a nasty word and i don't really care for it. but it is not the N word. not even close.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:44 pm

I have seldom used the C-word... but I assure the times I have used it, it was well deserved.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:05 pm

MWB wrote:And btw, you can use whatever words you want. Why get mad at others because they find them offensive? Is it that important?

Who's getting mad? But this is actually what I tried to bring up in the political thread a few weeks back. People are getting punished, fired, and forced to apologize for not being politically correct these days and it's getting out of hand.

I agree that people should deal with bigotry or words they find offensive in the way you stated. But why does me or someone else not wanting to say certain words matter in this sense? That's a personal decision on my part. Honestly, you seem like you're more sensitive about this than I am.

I never said you shouldn't say them. I just said I have a hard time believing you never ever ever ever do.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:06 pm

the wicked child wrote:I have seldom used the C-word... but I assure the times I have used it, it was well deserved.

I generally don't swear either. Unless there's a situation that begs for it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:How is the "c" word not very similar? That word isn't saying a woman is a b***h, it's saying that women are nothing more than genitalia only good for one thing. It's a disgusting, demeaning word and shows a lack of respect for all women. Anyone who says that word is only used for women acting a certain way is the same as someone using the n word saying, "I don't have anything against black people but I hate n's."

And yet you're perfectly OK with calling a guy a DICK.

What if someone called you 'Genitalia' instead of the C word... would that be better? You'd probably start laughing.

And, no, it doesn't mean disrespect for all women, just the one that's acting crazy.

I sometimes talk to this funny camgirl from Canada. Every time a guy tries asking her for too much (she's in the non-nude category), she throws the C word at him and goes off. She loves that word. Apparently, there wasn't any official voting done by women in this regard yet.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 pm

you could argue women have had it almost equally as bad as african americans. so the c word definitely ranks up there.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I have seldom used the C-word... but I assure the times I have used it, it was well deserved.

I generally don't swear either. Unless there's a situation that begs for it.

Oh I swear... I just save the big words for the right time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
MWB wrote:And btw, you can use whatever words you want. Why get mad at others because they find them offensive? Is it that important?

Who's getting mad? But this is actually what I tried to bring up in the political thread a few weeks back. People are getting punished, fired, and forced to apologize for not being politically correct these days and it's getting out of hand.

Mad isn't the right word, you just seem to get worked up about it. And I get the overly PC thing. But that's not a whole different discussion. Me not saying a word doesn't really have anything to do with people who are easily offended by words. If someone called me a f******, I wouldn't really care.

Sarcastic wrote:
MWB wrote:I agree that people should deal with bigotry or words they find offensive in the way you stated. But why does me or someone else not wanting to say certain words matter in this sense? That's a personal decision on my part. Honestly, you seem like you're more sensitive about this than I am.

I never said you shouldn't say them. I just said I have a hard time believing you never ever ever ever do.

If you'd feel more comfortable thinking that I say them, go ahead, I won't be offended. :pop:

Keep in mind as well, that given my profession, I have to be very, very careful about the words that I use.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Grunthy wrote:you could argue women have had it almost equally as bad as african americans. so the c word definitely ranks up there.

The C word has nothing to do with bigotry. I agree about women having it rough over the years.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 pm

MWB wrote:Mad isn't the right word, you just seem to get worked up about it. And I get the overly PC thing. But that's not a whole different discussion. Me not saying a word doesn't really have anything to do with people who are easily offended by words. If someone called me a f******, I wouldn't really care.

You keep saying I am getting mad or worked up, yet I'm just talking with you. Feels like you're trying to convince me this is somehow bothering me.

Keep in mind as well, that given my profession, I have to be very, very careful about the words that I use.

That I totally understand and I was going to bring it up but forgot. Do you think you're being watched on the internet? They probably at least look at your facebook, no?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Grunthy wrote:you could argue women have had it almost equally as bad as african americans. so the c word definitely ranks up there.

The C word has nothing to do with bigotry. I agree about women having it rough over the years.

Last I looked, sexist was a form of bigotry.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

I never really saw it that way, either, but I see now what people mean. There can be an implication that is the only thing the woman is good for, which would make it bigoted and demeaning. Guess we're just a couple of dumb polacks. :fist:

:pop:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby malkinshair on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 pm

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:I don't get the "it was used in a special circumstance and you might too" argument.

exactly.

Wha?

So then any non-african-american who has ever said the 'n word' is a racist, regardless of context?
Any man who has used the 'c word' is a misogynist?
Any straight person who has ever used the 'f word' is a homophobe?

This is dangerous thinking. I don't particularly care for any of the 'offensive' words above, but assuming and assigning such damning personal character attributes based on use of language is, well, ignorant at best. Deen may or may not be a raging racist that hates all black people, but her admitted use of the 'n word' doesn't prove that. Ironically, I'd think that if you read and believe the actual account of her 'admission', you'd see a person that grew up in a certain culture that accepted that word, learned that the use of that word was hurtful, and stopped using it as a result. Isn't that what the most vocal of you in this thread want?

The use of language is a very powerful thing, but not as powerful as the suppression of language...even offensive language.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
MWB wrote:Mad isn't the right word, you just seem to get worked up about it. And I get the overly PC thing. But that's not a whole different discussion. Me not saying a word doesn't really have anything to do with people who are easily offended by words. If someone called me a f******, I wouldn't really care.

You keep saying I am getting mad or worked up, yet I'm just talking with you. Feels like you're trying to convince me this is somehow bothering me.

That I totally understand and I was going to bring it up but forgot. Do you think you're being watched on the internet? They probably at least look at your facebook, no?

The only reason I'm saying you seem worked up is because you keep saying that you have a really, really, really hard time believing that I never, ever, ever say certain words. Worked up, also probably the wrong phrase.

Do I think I'm being actively watched? No. My principal is awesome and really down to earth. I know he checks Facebook pages before he hires people to see more about them, which I don't have a problem with. He's also Facebook friends with several of the teachers. If a teacher is stupid enough to put something stupid on Facebook, they get what they get, and I don't have a problem with that. Parents are the bigger issue. If I say or do something inappropriate and it gets back to a parent and then it gets to someone else, then it's a problem. I've always been very conscious of what I say, but the job makes me even more careful about everything I say.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 pm

MWB wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

The only reason I'm saying you seem worked up is because you keep saying that you have a really, really, really hard time believing that I never, ever, ever say certain words. Worked up, also probably the wrong phrase.

Do I think I'm being actively watched? No. My principal is awesome and really down to earth. I know he checks Facebook pages before he hires people to see more about them, which I don't have a problem with. He's also Facebook friends with several of the teachers. If a teacher is stupid enough to put something stupid on Facebook, they get what they get, and I don't have a problem with that. Parents are the bigger issue. If I say or do something inappropriate and it gets back to a parent and then it gets to someone else, then it's a problem. I've always been very conscious of what I say, but the job makes me even more careful about everything I say.

Boy, I wish some parents could be held to the same standards. :wink:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR