Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:37 pm

malkinshair wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:I don't get the "it was used in a special circumstance and you might too" argument.
The implication is that it is some sort of deep seeded, default (and therefore "natural") response that one is holding onto for special occasions.

exactly.

Wha?

So then any non-african-american who has ever said the 'n word' is a racist, regardless of context?
Any man who has used the 'c word' is a misogynist?
Any straight person who has ever used the 'f word' is a homophobe?

This is dangerous thinking. I don't particularly care for any of the 'offensive' words above, but assuming and assigning such damning personal character attributes based on use of language is, well, ignorant at best. Deen may or may not be a raging racist that hates all black people, but her admitted use of the 'n word' doesn't prove that. Ironically, I'd think that if you read and believe the actual account of her 'admission', you'd see a person that grew up in a certain culture that accepted that word, learned that the use of that word was hurtful, and stopped using it as a result. Isn't that what the most vocal of you in this thread want?

The use of language is a very powerful thing, but not as powerful as the suppression of language...even offensive language.

If someone is robbing you, you feel anger towards them. Why would you use that word in that instance? Why not a******, or motherf******? Why go to the word that has a specific racial intent? If you see a black person doing something bad, do you think of them as a n******? To me it doesn't seem like, "well, obviously I'd call them that because they're robbing me."
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:38 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Boy, I wish some parents could be held to the same standards. :wink:

I have not comment on that. :pop:
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Waaaah. I got called a name.

Next.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Idoit.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 pm

MWB wrote:If someone is robbing you, you feel anger towards them. Why would you use that word in that instance? Why not a******, or motherf******? Why go to the word that has a specific racial intent? If you see a black person doing something bad, do you think of them as a n******? To me it doesn't seem like, "well, obviously I'd call them that because they're robbing me."

I've had more than a few blacks, both blue and white collar, use the word to me to describe young, gangsta wannabe blacks.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:09 am

MWB wrote:Do I think I'm being actively watched? No. My principal is awesome and really down to earth. I know he checks Facebook pages before he hires people to see more about them, which I don't have a problem with. He's also Facebook friends with several of the teachers. If a teacher is stupid enough to put something stupid on Facebook, they get what they get, and I don't have a problem with that. Parents are the bigger issue. If I say or do something inappropriate and it gets back to a parent and then it gets to someone else, then it's a problem. I've always been very conscious of what I say, but the job makes me even more careful about everything I say.

In your profession, I do understand why you would want to be a bit more self-censoring than most. :thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:00 am

Willie Kool wrote:
MWB wrote:If someone is robbing you, you feel anger towards them. Why would you use that word in that instance? Why not a******, or motherf******? Why go to the word that has a specific racial intent? If you see a black person doing something bad, do you think of them as a n******? To me it doesn't seem like, "well, obviously I'd call them that because they're robbing me."

I've had more than a few blacks, both blue and white collar, use the word to me to describe young, gangsta wannabe blacks.

I don't think Paula Dean was paying homage to the old Chris Rock bit that you're describing here.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Willie Kool wrote:I've had more than a few blacks, both blue and white collar, use the word to me to describe young, gangsta wannabe blacks.

You're throwing a twist to this whole discussion and you're right.... the N word is sometimes used to describe a youth as a degenerate, not pointing at all to his race.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:56 am

So Alec Baldwin wants to beat up gay people, and the only people upset are gays:

@andersoncooper

Why does #AlecBaldwin get a pass when
he uses gay slurs? If a conservative talked of beating up a "queen" they would be vilified.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 am

Alec Baldwin is knuckle dragger.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 am

Pitt87 wrote:So Alec Baldwin wants to beat up gay people, and the only people upset are gays:

@andersoncooper

Why does #AlecBaldwin get a pass when
he uses gay slurs? If a conservative talked of beating up a "queen" they would be vilified.

He venomously called the reported a "queen" and it was indeed a 100% gay slur.

Will any people who like Alec Baldwin or share his political beliefs at least admit that what he did was bad? Then apply the same passion used on people of opposing political views to attack his character and work towards affecting financial and social consequences?

Do it, people.
Last edited by Eismann on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 am

Does anyone really like Alec Baldwin? Not joking either, I thought he was widely regarded to be a complete and total scumbag.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 am

Hockeynut! wrote:Does anyone really like Alec Baldwin? Not joking either, I thought he was widely regarded to be a complete and total scumbag.

He gets paid millions to be on TV still.

What he said and how he said it were at least comparable to Paula D. she's now losing money, credibility, opportunity and standing.

The gay community needs to make sure the same happens to him, or else keep their hypocritical voices down in the future.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:06 am

The gay community doesn't have the power to do anything. Do you think they're out celebrating that he said that?

Paula Deen's career was hurt because her brand was built entirely on being nice and folksy and neighborly, etc. Her personality is her brand. Seriously, her cooking (a can of peas and a stick of butter) wasn't anything groundbreaking, but people liked her. That's why she went down over this perceived "negative" side to herself.

Everyone knows Alex Baldwin is a creep. Didn't he threaten his exwife and call his own daughter a fat pig a while ago? If he is still working, it's because people think he's a talented actor. I doubt anyone truly likes "him".
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 am

It's all about money. The more money a person brings in, the more they have to do be cut out by their employer. The free market speaks.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:The gay community doesn't have the power to do anything.

????

Representatives and viewpoints are seen, heard and read in all kinds of media every day, all around the country, influencing what people think and do about issues. Been following DOMA at all?

They need to make public statements demanding apologies and retributions from Baldwin, as they've done plenty of times in the past when less fashionable targets have committed affronts.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 pm

I know, this is outrageous! Why aren't gay people reacting like you want them to?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Eismann wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:Does anyone really like Alec Baldwin? Not joking either, I thought he was widely regarded to be a complete and total scumbag.

He gets paid millions to be on TV still.

What he said and how he said it were at least comparable to Paula D. she's now losing money, credibility, opportunity and standing.

The gay community needs to make sure the same happens to him, or else keep their hypocritical voices down in the future.

The Baldwins are from the town here on LI that I've lived in for the past 12 years.

His father taught at the local HS.

Even the locals don't like him. Meh
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:50 pm

MWB wrote:I know, this is outrageous! Why aren't gay people reacting like you want them to?

:lol:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Eismann wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:The gay community doesn't have the power to do anything.

????

Representatives and viewpoints are seen, heard and read in all kinds of media every day, all around the country, influencing what people think and do about issues. Been following DOMA at all?

They need to make public statements demanding apologies and retributions from Baldwin, as they've done plenty of times in the past when less fashionable targets have committed affronts.

I'm saying it isn't within their power to fire him. Search Twitter for Alec Baldwin. There's plenty of outrage over this. And Anderson Cooper is about as big of a gay public figure as you'll find. What else do you want them to do?

Again, Baldwin is a first class scumbag and everyone knows it. This is just one more thing in a laundry list of nasty things he has said and done. Comparing his pre-slur persona to Deen's pre slur persona is like comparing Stalin to Gandhi.

I'm also confused about the "hypocritical voices" of which you speak in the gay community. Were they demanding Paula Deen's head on a platter? I certainly didn't see any big gay outrage from them over what Paula said so I'm not sure why you're blaming them for what isn't happening to Baldwin.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 pm

MWB wrote:I know, this is outrageous! Why aren't gay people reacting like you want them to?

Not like I want them to, just consistent with how people who use gay slurs are shamed and attacked. You really don't know how common that is?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Alec Baldwin isn't being condemned because he is one of their own. Period.

More utter hypocrisy, but I can't see how anyone is surprised. It's fun watching his political allies on ABC News trip over themselves defending him.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Eismann wrote:

Not like I want them to, just consistent with how people who use gay slurs are shamed and attacked. You really don't know how common that is?

Why does it matter how any one "group" of people reacts to what someone says? The group is made of of individuals, and if enough of those individuals are upset about something, then it comes across that the group as a whole is. But the group isn't a single-minded thing that will always react the same to every individual action. So expecting any group to be consistent is an exercise in futility. Do all Penguins fans have the same reaction to Matt Cooke? We're all looking at the same information, so why aren't we, as a group, all thinking the same thing when we've all got the same end-goal? I would bet there are many gay people who hate what Baldwin said. However, he doesn't have a history, as far as I know, of making homophobic remarks. Usually the people who have a history of words or actions against a certain groups are the ones who get the reaction from the group.

How does this relate to Deen... Public reaction and perception is a funny thing, but it usually carries the day. Foodnetwork made a decision based on the early reaction to Deen and how they figured it would go. They decided that more people would react negatively to her than would actively support her. If it turns out they are wrong, Deen will end up on another network somewhere doing the same thing, and ultimately hurt Foodnetwork. If they are right, we won't hear much of anything from Deen after this firestorm blows over.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:11 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Alec Baldwin isn't being condemned because he is one of their own. Period.

What does that even mean?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:13 pm

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Alec Baldwin isn't being condemned because he is one of their own. Period.

What does that even mean?

i think he means it's a Left v Right thing?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR