Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm

^^^

Brought to you by the butter industry.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:46 pm

I demand that the Food Network investigate the Neely's to see if they ever used the term "Cracker" or "Honky". And the same action should be taken against them.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

The damn pc nazis takes all the fun out of racism.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:Wouldn't you consider this evidence that the free market can provide adequate punishment for discrimination, thereby rendering anti-discrimination laws outdated?

Because every business owner has a national profile that can potentially bring huge amounts of unwanted press and pressure.

Perhaps, but places like Google+, Facebook, Yelp, Foursquare, etc. permit one to quickly and easily publicize reviews of a business or person.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:Wouldn't you consider this evidence that the free market can provide adequate punishment for discrimination, thereby rendering anti-discrimination laws outdated?

Because every business owner has a national profile that can potentially bring huge amounts of unwanted press and pressure.

Perhaps, but places like Google+, Facebook, Yelp, Foursquare, etc. permit one to quickly and easily publicize reviews of a business or person.

This allegedly happened six years ago.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm

This is just the icing on the cake with her :pop: . She already created controversy by hiding the fact she had diabetes for years while pushing her sugar, butter, and lard filled foods, and at the same time negotiating a contract with Novo Nordisk for Victoza (a new diabetes drug).
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Wonder if Bourdain has commented yet
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:The damn pc nazis takes all the fun out of racism.

:thumb:

I find it absurd to equate firing someone for using the N-Word with being overly sensitive and PC. C'mon.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Smithfield Foods just dropped her as spokesperson:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/06/24/smithfield-foods-drops-paula-deen/?hpt=hp_t2

My take on it is, I'm not surprised. This is a woman that thought a slave themed wedding would be cute. Seriously.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Smithfield Foods just dropped her as spokesperson:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/06/24/smithfield-foods-drops-paula-deen/?hpt=hp_t2

My take on it is, I'm not surprised. This is a woman that thought a slave themed wedding would be cute. Seriously.

There are loads of other diverse segments of our great country that celebrate in themes and ways like this, and yet they themselves are celebrated for doing so.

It is indeed the market speaking. But it's speaking as a puppet of PC witch hunt.

Who else said what when?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Now now, that's "plantation wedding" to you and me.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:48 pm

jimjom wrote:Wonder if Bourdain has commented yet

I have not seen anything yet, but I sort of suspect his move to CNN came with a bit of a muzzle. That said, what sparked the feud between him and Deen was him calling her a cynic. So this is kinda the same thing. I think what has most people kind of scratching their heads over this is the totally casual manner in which she claims to have used the epithet in the past. When asked if she ever used the n-word, she replied, "Of course". That's just not the best way you could answer that kind of question.

But remember, this case isn't even about black-white stuff. This is a sexual harassment and hostile work environment claim. The main complaint centers on Deen's brother viewing pr0n at work and making the plaintiff watch videos on the office computer and having pr0n-type emails sent to their shared email account. All the racial stuff that's been elucidated has been background for the suit, and they aren't directly related to the hostile work environment claim. They've just been trying to establish Deen and her brother as entirely tolerant of racial shenanigans, running the gamut from open use of the n-word to antisemitism.

So it's more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 pm

I discussed this with my one of the few people I work with, who is actually from Savannah.
Her best line, "What's up with that overdone, sugary accent? No one from around here talks that way."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:12 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

I find it absurd to equate firing someone for using the N-Word with being overly sensitive and PC. C'mon.

It is just a bunch of PC hypocrisy. So in your opinion everyone that has ever used a racial slur, even if just in conversation and not directed at someone, should be fired? C'mon.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, she grew up far inland. Maybe the salt air at the coast corrodes the sugar from the accent. Or she could just be faking.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

It is just a bunch of PC hypocrisy. So in your opinion everyone that has ever used a racial slur, even if just in conversation and not directed at someone, should be fired? C'mon.

3things...
1-she isn't being fired, just not being renewed
2-as pointed out above, she is being sued for many other reasons, not just using a certain word. If your behavior effects your workplace in a negative way, that's a great reason for your employers not to keep you around.
3-the lives of people who live in the public eye are not analogous to yours or mine. If you are in the public eye, you NEED to watch what you say. period.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I think what has most people kind of scratching their heads over this is the totally casual manner in which she claims to have used the epithet in the past. When asked if she ever used the n-word, she replied, "Of course". That's just not the best way you could answer that kind of question.

Honestly, I'd be absolutely shocked if you could find more than a handful of people born in segregated 1947 Georgia who didn't use the word at some point.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:27 pm

My parents grew up in the segregated South and I've never heard them use it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Froggy wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote: I find it absurd to equate firing someone for using the N-Word with being overly sensitive and PC. C'mon.

3things...
1-she isn't being fired, just not being renewed
2-as pointed out above, she is being sued for many other reasons, not just using a certain word. If your behavior effects your workplace in a negative way, that's a great reason for your employers not to keep you around.
3-the lives of people who live in the public eye are not analogous to yours or mine. If you are in the public eye, you NEED to watch what you say. period.

1. I was responding more to Hammer's comment than this case.
2. This I can agree with, but the 'story' is all about the N-word.
3. Perhaps she should have pulled a Reagan and 'not recalled'.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:33 pm

columbia wrote:My parents grew up in the segregated South and I've never heard them use it.

And perhaps they never did. I'm not saying it was unavoidable, just pervasive to an extent that I don't think people really understand.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Froggy wrote:3-the lives of people who live in the public eye are not analogous to yours or mine. If you are in the public eye, you NEED to watch what you say. period.

:thumb: This.

No one cares if the fry boy at McDs says, "N this" and "N that". But a TV celebrity whose career is built on being well liked, "folksy", charming, etc. should know that you are putting your career at risk when you start throwing around racist/derogatory comments or talking about how cute it would be to have a slave themed wedding.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Willie Kool wrote:So in your opinion everyone that has ever used a racial slur, even if just in conversation and not directed at someone, should be fired?

So it's cool, as long as you're being general...... "n***ers are idiots" is acceptable, but "that n***er is an idiot" is out of bounds. Even if the latter is said 'just in conversation', you know all casual like?

When you're talking about someone who is a television personality - effectively a spokesperson for your network, as well as the various products you've been asked to endorse - there is an elevated standard you're expected to meet. For example, I'm sure every contract she's signed since joining the Food Network has included a morals clause.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

You've taken that way beyond this situation. But, yes, I would fire any prominent, highly paid, figurehead or spokes person for my company that used the n-word pejoratively.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I think what has most people kind of scratching their heads over this is the totally casual manner in which she claims to have used the epithet in the past. When asked if she ever used the n-word, she replied, "Of course". That's just not the best way you could answer that kind of question.

Honestly, I'd be absolutely shocked if you could find more than a handful of people born in segregated 1947 Georgia who didn't use the word at some point.

LOL. And Thomas Jefferson had slaves. Get on the right side of history, Willie. Defending the status quo is not cool. It sounds like you think the use of the n-word is okay or you think it's okay in certain situations like in reference to "the bad black people." The n-word is not okay, period. That cannot be emphasized enough.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:33 pm

i also think there's a significant difference between someone "using the word at some point" and someone who is a grown adult who has had years of diverse, cultural exposure who, after all their years of enlightenment, still uses it. being young and dumb is one thing. at a certain point, it becomes utterly abhorrent.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR