Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:36 pm

shmenguin wrote:i also think there's a significant difference between someone "using the word at some point" and someone who is a grown adult who has had years of diverse, cultural exposure who, after all their years of enlightenment, still uses it. being young and dumb is one thing. at a certain point, it becomes utterly abhorrent.

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:40 pm

shmenguin wrote:i also think there's a significant difference between someone "using the word at some point" and someone who is a grown adult who has had years of diverse, cultural exposure who, after all their years of enlightenment, still uses it. being young and dumb is one thing. at a certain point, it becomes utterly abhorrent.

I believe she admitted under oath to using it 'years ago' - long BEFORE she was a public figure or employed by FN. Anything else is nothing but an accusation at this point.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I think what has most people kind of scratching their heads over this is the totally casual manner in which she claims to have used the epithet in the past. When asked if she ever used the n-word, she replied, "Of course". That's just not the best way you could answer that kind of question.

Honestly, I'd be absolutely shocked if you could find more than a handful of people born in segregated 1947 Georgia who didn't use the word at some point.

It's not just that she said it. It's the casualness with which she admits using it, as if it's just another adjective in her vocabulary. Also problematic is the not-at-all-compelling manner in which she attempted to disavow the language.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:51 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Get on the right side of history, Willie. Defending the status quo is not cool. It sounds like you think the use of the n-word is okay or you think it's okay in certain situations like in reference to "the bad black people." The n-word is not okay, period. That cannot be emphasized enough.

I will defend anyone's right to say ANY word they wish, whenever and wherever they wish (excepting public panic situations eg. FIRE! in a theatre). Maybe I should be offended every time I hear 'Polack' or 'Dago' or 'Honky', but guess what - I'm not. In the end it's just a word and only has the power you give it.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I think what has most people kind of scratching their heads over this is the totally casual manner in which she claims to have used the epithet in the past. When asked if she ever used the n-word, she replied, "Of course". That's just not the best way you could answer that kind of question.

Honestly, I'd be absolutely shocked if you could find more than a handful of people born in segregated 1947 Georgia who didn't use the word at some point.

It's not just that she said it. It's the casualness with which she admits using it, as if it's just another adjective in her vocabulary. Also problematic is the not-at-all-compelling manner in which she attempted to disavow the language.

And that's where I think differing interpretations come in. To me it's not necessarily a flippant attitude, just an admission that almost everyone she knew used it at some point.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm

For the record, here is the precise passage from the deposition:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?

Deen: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?

Deen: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?

Deen: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?

Deen: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?

Deen: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?

Deen: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?

Deen: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?

Deen: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?

Deen: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?

Deen: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm not seeing the big deal. If that story about the bank is true, I can completely understand her emotionally using that word. Is it technically "right"? Well, not really. But, for example, if a black man held a gun to my wife's head and came within inches of killing her, I would like to be forgiven if I may have lashed out with an emotionally charged N-bomb.

I am far from a Paula Deen fan (I don't get it, to be honest), but this seems ridiculously overblown (even with the apparent other incident).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The damn pc nazis takes all the fun out of racism.

:thumb:

I find it absurd to equate firing someone for using the N-Word with being overly sensitive and PC. C'mon.

It is just a bunch of PC hypocrisy. So in your opinion everyone that has ever used a racial slur, even if just in conversation and not directed at someone, should be fired? C'mon.

You've taken that way beyond this situation. But, yes, I would fire any prominent, highly paid, figurehead or spokes person for my company that used the n-word pejoratively.

This is Jay-Z. You can read any of his lyrics and I guarantee he says it multiple times a day.

Until he goes down like Deen, this is 100% sham and the height and definition of hypocrisy.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Because Paula Deen and Jay-Z using it is in whatever context is exactly the same.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm not seeing the big deal. If that story about the bank is true, I can completely understand her emotionally using that word. Is it technically "right"? Well, not really. But, for example, if a black man held a gun to my wife's head and came within inches of killing her, I would like to be forgiven if I may have lashed out with an emotionally charged N-bomb.

I think you would be forgiven.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Gaucho wrote:Because Paula Deen and Jay-Z using it is in whatever context is exactly the same.

Why do people go down this road of, "well, a black guy says it, so why can't I?" It's all about context, and I don't think it's really that hard to see that, is it? So many words rely on context.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:Because Paula Deen and Jay-Z using it is in whatever context is exactly the same.

It exactly matters zero.

But if you think does, read his lyrics and those of his label mates and tell me if you detect anything redeeming about their context.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Eismann wrote:

It exactly matters zero.

But if you think does, read his lyrics and those of his label mates and tell me if you detect anything redeeming about their context.

life =/= art

/
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life

:pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Eismann wrote:

It exactly matters zero.

life =/= art

/

Art?

Dear heavens, man.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I didn't say it was a good art.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 am

Guy Fieri now becomes entrenched as the Food Network's resident frosty haired rosy cheeked roly poly flavor town ambassador.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:10 am

“I feel like the South is almost less prejudiced,” Deen says, “because black folks played such an integral part in our lives. They were like our family.”

That statement alone is awkward — she’s referring to servants, presumably — but she doesn’t stop there. Motioning to the inky backdrop behind her and Severson, she notes that her beloved driver, bodyguard and assistant, Hollis Johnson, is as “black as that board.”

“Come out here, Hollis,” she adds, looking offstage and directing the audience’s attention there. “We can’t see you standing against that dark board.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/opini ... c=rss&_r=0

Is that anything worse than just cringe-worthy? Probably not, but it certainly adds to the flavor of her world view.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 am

I agreed with her being fired, but the way people are reacting here is not consistent with the line of questioning. The Lawyer tries to paint her into a corner of saying that she says it frequently and in specific instances and fails.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:05 am

I frankly think the NY Times interview is more indicitive of her world view than the bank robbing scenario.

I think the most liberal of us might let fly with a racial slur if a gun were held to our heads. (Afterwards, not during. That would be a sure way to get killed...)
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 am

llipgh2 wrote:I frankly think the NY Times interview is more indicitive of her world view than the bank robbing scenario.

Absolutely.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:28 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 am

http://www.chronicle.su/news/paula-deen ... ide-at-66/
She has apparently killed herself by OD'ing on her pre-packed deserts.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 am

pittsports87 wrote:http://www.chronicle.su/news/paula-deen-commits-suicide-at-66/

And this is different from what she did how?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:http://www.chronicle.su/news/paula-deen-commits-suicide-at-66/

And this is different from what she did how?

.........it's satire, duh. :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR