Car Audio Questions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Car Audio Questions

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Looking to get a CD playing/mp3/HD radio put into the Candy Mobile. Can anyone offer up a good place somewhere between Monroeville and Greensburg that I can buy said radio and have it installed? Also is there that big of a difference between HD radio and regular radios? Any kind of input would be helpful. Don't want to break the bank here.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Car Audio Questions

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 pm

what kind of car is it? installing them is really easy if you dont need to rip your dash/climate control apart. ive done at least 10 of them. if your car isnt a mess to do id be more than willing to help.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:38 pm

2004 Saturn Ion
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Do yourself a favor and get one with bluetooth. Using google music, pandora, or other related service will make you never use a CD again.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Go to http://www.crutchfield.com and buy one. It will come with the installation kit, wiring harness, and exact instruction for your car for free. I've installed over a hundred head units and it really is something anyone can do. Speaker installation can get tricky though so I don't recommend it for a beginner.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Here is the one I have and works great-

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT555U/ ... T555U.html
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:29 am

Does the Stereo Shop in Greensburg still exist? I used to get stuff there, but that was 15 years ago.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:40 am

Crutchfield is usually WAY overpriced for just about anything. Amazon will beat the pants off them.

As for the install instructions that crutchfield come with, you can learn anything you need to know off the net.

What you may need:

Wiring harness adaptor (10 - 20 bucks for most vehicles) This goes between your factory wiring and you new radio.
Radio Mounting Kit (10 - 20 bucks) This is basically a piece of plastic that fills in the space where the old factory radio was that the new radio doesn't fill.
Antenna adaptor (5 - 10 bucks) - Some car models (mainly GM) need this to hook the new unit to the cars factory antenna.

This process is really really easy most of the time. You get your new radio harness and use butt connectors or solder to the Wiring harness adapter that you buy for your vehicle. Basically making it one adapter.

Then you remove your old radio from your car by usually popping out a few plastic connectors and 2 or 4 screws.

Then you insert your metal cage that comes with the new radio into the plastic mounting kit by bending a few metal tabs with a screwdriver.

Then you slide the mounting kit with the metal cage installed into the car and secure it using the same mounting bolt that the factory radio did.

Hook up one end of the wiring harness to the factory connector and the other end to your new radio and slide it into the wire cage. You may also have to find somewhere to hook up a ground wire as well if the new harness doesn't have the ground included.

All of the parts you need to buy (wiring harness and Mount kit) will some with instructions with pictures and etc.

Honestly most of the stuff can be found on youtube or car audio forums for specific information about your specific vehicle. I would look there for info before I paid all the extra money for crutchfield. It usually cheaper to just let BestBuy do the install than to pay for crutchfield if you don't want to DIY.

PS -- HD radio is pretty much a scam now. Its something that never really caught on and most stations are abandoning it.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 am

ffemtreed wrote:Crutchfield is usually WAY overpriced for just about anything. Amazon will beat the pants off them.

As for the install instructions that crutchfield come with, you can learn anything you need to know off the net.

What you may need:

Wiring harness adaptor (10 - 20 bucks for most vehicles) This goes between your factory wiring and you new radio.
Radio Mounting Kit (10 - 20 bucks) This is basically a piece of plastic that fills in the space where the old factory radio was that the new radio doesn't fill.
Antenna adaptor (5 - 10 bucks) - Some car models (mainly GM) need this to hook the new unit to the cars factory antenna.

This process is really really easy most of the time. You get your new radio harness and use butt connectors or solder to the Wiring harness adapter that you buy for your vehicle. Basically making it one adapter.

Then you remove your old radio from your car by usually popping out a few plastic connectors and 2 or 4 screws.

Then you insert your metal cage that comes with the new radio into the plastic mounting kit by bending a few metal tabs with a screwdriver.

Then you slide the mounting kit with the metal cage installed into the car and secure it using the same mounting bolt that the factory radio did.

Hook up one end of the wiring harness to the factory connector and the other end to your new radio and slide it into the wire cage. You may also have to find somewhere to hook up a ground wire as well if the new harness doesn't have the ground included.

All of the parts you need to buy (wiring harness and Mount kit) will some with instructions with pictures and etc.

Honestly most of the stuff can be found on youtube or car audio forums for specific information about your specific vehicle. I would look there for info before I paid all the extra money for crutchfield. It usually cheaper to just let BestBuy do the install than to pay for crutchfield if you don't want to DIY.

PS -- HD radio is pretty much a scam now. Its something that never really caught on and most stations are abandoning it.

Crutchfield has superior service to any place. I order for best price, but for someone who has never done an install before the free phone help can be invaluable.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:46 am

Also HD I don't see how HD radio is a scam. Nearly every quality head unit comes with it standard now. Also many OEM cars stereos have it as well.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 am

Also best buy costs $60 for labor on the head unit install + wiring harness and installation kit + any other deemed necessary fees for other equipment .
Last edited by thepittman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 am

thepittman wrote:Also HD I don't see how HD radio is a scam. Nearly every quality head unit comes with it standard now. Also many OEM cars stereos have it as well.

How many stations are actually broadcasting in Radio HD and how many stations have recently started broadcasting in radio HD?????? Its a dying fad and I wouldn't spend any extra money picking a radio that specifically supports it.

Crutchfields extra price isn't worth the extra they charge you for their cookie cutter instructions. If you can't do the install by using the instructions that come with the stuff and what is available on the internet, DIY probably isn't for you.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 am

thepittman wrote:Also best buy costs $60 for labor on the head unit install + wiring harness and installation.

And most Head Units are that much cheaper on Amazon than buying from Crutchfield or at lease close. Considering you don't have to do any work by using best buy or any other installer.

I was not promoting best buy, just saying that an installer might now be that much more than buying from crutchfield and having to put the unit in yourself. I just used best buy's name because I know they do the work and pretty much everyone has a best buy around them.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:57 am

ffemtreed wrote:
thepittman wrote:Also HD I don't see how HD radio is a scam. Nearly every quality head unit comes with it standard now. Also many OEM cars stereos have it as well.

How many stations are actually broadcasting in Radio HD and how many stations have recently started broadcasting in radio HD?????? Its a dying fad and I wouldn't spend any extra money picking a radio that specifically supports it.

Crutchfields extra price isn't worth the extra they charge you for their cookie cutter instructions. If you can't do the install by using the instructions that come with the stuff and what is available on the internet, DIY probably isn't for you.

It comes with wiring harness and installation kit which easily equals $20. The head unit that I posted is $140 on crutchfield with free shipping, superior customer support in case something breaks or anything random happens, and everything needed for installation. Amazon costs $114 + shipping + wiring harness + installation kit. I don't see where your savings comes into play.

I would say 75% of the stations I know of in philly are HD. Not that I care because I don't really use the radio. Should you buy a radio just because it has HD? no. Is it a scam if it is already included into a quality head unit that has all of the features you need? no
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am

thepittman wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:

It comes with wiring harness and installation kit which easily equals $20. The head unit that I posted is $140 on crutchfield with free shipping, superior customer support in case something breaks or anything random happens, and everything needed for installation. Amazon costs $114 + shipping + wiring harness + installation kit. I don't see where your savings comes into play.

I would say 75% of the stations I know of in philly are HD. Not that I care because I don't really use the radio. Should you buy a radio just because it has HD? no. Is it a scam if it is already included into a quality head unit that has all of the features you need? no

Just beware the kit that comes with the crutchfield is JUNK, I installed a couple kits from there for friends. The plastic mounting kit is really thin and has tabs that easily break off compared to a good quality kit that you pay 20 dollars for. You get what you pay for. As for your pricing, The radio I bought was 249 on Crutchfield and i got it amazon prime for $179. I don't remember the model # but it was a pioneer unit. Even add in the wiring harness (6 dollars) and the mount kit (13 bucks) it was significantly cheaper than crutchfield. Install took me less than 30 minutes and that included soldering my harness, removing old unit and putting new one in and testing it.

I may be a bit jaded about HD radio because I lived in rural areas most of my life and virtually none of the station would even broadcast digital song info, let alone simulcast HD and analog radio. I always had siruius XM so i never really monitored it much.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR