Fantasy Football Discussion

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fantasy Football Discussion

Postby IanMoran on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:in non-ppr leagues, the value of graham diminishes. if you get a td-happy TE you can easily negate graham.

And those TD happy TEs would be?

Heath Miller and Kyle Rudolph last year are probably examples.

:thumb: and id venture a guess that at least heath was a waiver wire pick up last year

Yea, I had Heath last year and I loved him but... those guys are just too hard to predict. Graham has a ton of value imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:01 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:is it me? I never trade haha

Haha, I'm VERY trade friendly but I also always try to make legitimate trade offers. We have a couple guys in the league who just consistently send the worst trade offers imaginable with 20 texts about why its REALLY "great" for me.

Been in the league 5 years and I always just respond with "lol" or something and these same 2 guys still do it consistently. I hate that, just make a reasonable offer, if they reject either make a counter offer or move on

Thats what Kraftster does in all the keeper leagues, but people take the trades. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:in non-ppr leagues, the value of graham diminishes. if you get a td-happy TE you can easily negate graham.

And those TD happy TEs would be?

Heath Miller and Kyle Rudolph last year are probably examples.

:thumb: and id venture a guess that at least heath was a waiver wire pick up last year

Yea, I had Heath last year and I loved him but... those guys are just too hard to predict. Graham has a ton of value imo

Yeah, he's reliably going to do that. There are going to be other high TD Tight Ends, but no one knows who they'll be.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:is it me? I never trade haha

Haha, I'm VERY trade friendly but I also always try to make legitimate trade offers. We have a couple guys in the league who just consistently send the worst trade offers imaginable with 20 texts about why its REALLY "great" for me.

Been in the league 5 years and I always just respond with "lol" or something and these same 2 guys still do it consistently. I hate that, just make a reasonable offer, if they reject either make a counter offer or move on

Thats what Kraftster does in all the keeper leagues, but people take the trades. :pop:

Ha. I almost never start trade talks with offers, and, if I do, I try to avoid the outlandish offers since I know that I make a note of receiving offers like that. More than anything, I'm a sell high/buy low guy. I try to find trades that, on the surface to other owners, are beneficial trades based upon trending value. If I value Player X as a 5 but his perceived value is a 7 based upon current performance and I can trade for Player Y who the other team values at a 5 at the moment based upon present performance but his actual value is a 7, that is a perfect trade. There are occasions where you might find a trade not based upon trending value. I just value player X as a 5 and you as a 6 and you have someone I like as a 6 and you as a 5, then that's a perfect trade.

The most common problem that I find is that people are not confident enough in their own valuation abilities to put their own value on a player. They figure if I'm offering Player X for Player Y that Player Y must be worth more than Player X. This is why you don't start with trade offers but with general discussion. Get a sense of the value the other team places on your target and then measure your response or first offer accordingly. You can use that trepidation about valuing players to your advantage, and you'd be surprised how frequently other managers will unknowingly end up valuing players at the value you suggest that they hold during trade discussions.

I always have feelers out there so that when players I expect I might be able to buy low on begin to see their value slip in the minds of their owners, I'm already on speed dial regarding that player. I almost always treat my team as a collection of trade assets for the first half to two-thirds of a season. If I can accumulate the most trade asset value as I can to the point when the buyers/sellers are established, I can usually cash in some of that asset value for whatever I need to put together a winner. This is why I never player redraft leagues -- I forget how to trade in leagues like that at this point.

Now with everything in the open, I should avoid being called a fantasy sports shyster, since I can't avoid that label in my real life dealings.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm

tldnr
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I know what you do when you're playing, I just feel like most of the people in the LGP Keeper leagues either play strictly for the long term or strictly for that season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I know what you do when you're playing, I just feel like most of the people in the LGP Keeper leagues either play strictly for the long term or strictly for that season.

Yeah, not sure. Whatever they're doing doesn't seem to be working. :pop:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:49 pm

I noticed. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 pm

I got asked to be in a FFL at work. So i said yes. Turns out it is a $100 league. lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:07 pm

i guess i should preface tht with i couldnt even tell you 10 starting RBs in the league and their teams :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:09 pm

I love when people do that. Someone did that to me last year and then the day before the draft asked for money. I just told him there wasn't going to be money and wasn't in the league.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 pm

meh i dont mind it. it will get me interested in football again. and ill probably end up wining :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Speaking of trades, I never usually make any either. My buddy is desperate for a RB between injuries and just an overall poor draft. He's offering up Dez Bryant. I have AD and Sproles in my top slots and they are off the table but have

Zac Stacy
LeMichael James
Pierre Thomas

Now that's not going to dig him out of the hole he dug, but would Dez Bryant be worth sweetening the deal? Romo is my QB and I already have him paired with Austin, but Dez is better than Austin
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Assuming that the dude isn't going to trade Bryant for any of those three scrubs....I don't think your in a position to be dealing RB's.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Assuming that the dude isn't going to trade Bryant for any of those three scrubs....I don't think your in a position to be dealing RB's.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 pm

That's why I considered sweetening the deal and sending someone else. And this guy has made desperation moves before, not quite this early, but he's done it consistently.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Depending upon your WR situation, I'd just try Sproles and sell him on the idea that you are really stretching to give up Sproles.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 pm

If he's looking for RB's, he's not going to make a trade with you (if sproles is off the table), and you can't put sproles on the table because you don't have anything behind him.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah I know. I was just spit ballin. I would have liked to have Dez and was trying to think what this fool would go for. Thanks
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby opie22002 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I had my 14 team draft tonight. We start a QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, a flex, a TE, a D, and a K.

Thoughts on my team (I have the round I took them in parenthesis) -- I had the 1st pick:

QB - Stafford (4)
RB - AP (1), Andre Brown (6), Green-Ellis (7), Daniel Thomas (11), Dujuan Harris (13), Stephens-Howling (16)
WR - Fitzgerald (2), Mike Williams (8), Josh Gordon (9), Michael Floyd (10), Randle (12)
TE - J. Graham (3), Gronkowski (5)
K - Hartley (15)
D - Rams (14)

I wasn't planning on taking 2 tight ends that early but I felt the value was too good to pass up. The good running backs were taken by the time I got to pick in the 2nd round so I didn't want to reach for a mediocre one. I am going to try to trade for a better 2nd running back.

I'd love to hear some feedback.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:29 pm

QB - Stafford(6), Vick(11)
RB - Richardson(1), Lacy(4), Miller(5), Bell(9), Dwyer(12)
WR - Bryant(2), Fitzgerald(3), Tate(10), Blackmon(13), Wright(16)
TE - Olsen(7)
DST - Seattle (8), Dallas(15)
K - Gould
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:13 pm

opie: Love the AP, Fitz, Graham start. Would be curious to know what RBs were there at your 4/5 back-to-back. Don't hate going Gronk there, like the balls of it, just curious who you passed on there.

Idoit: Like that team a ton.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:03 am

Here's mine from today...14 teams with 2 keepers.

QB - Drew Brees (4)*, Ryan Tannehill (14)
RB - Arian Foster (1)*, David Wilson (2), Joique Bell (9), Jonathan Stewart (12)
WR - Reggie Wayne (3), Anquan Boldin (5), Jacoby Jones, (10), Robert Woods (11), Nate Burleson (15), Markus Wheaton (16)
TE - Kyle Rudolph (6), Heath Miller (13)
K - Blair Walsh (10)
DEF - Seattle (7)
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 am

opie22002 wrote:I had my 14 team draft tonight. We start a QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, a flex, a TE, a D, and a K.

Thoughts on my team (I have the round I took them in parenthesis) -- I had the 1st pick:

QB - Stafford (4)
RB - AP (1), Andre Brown (6), Green-Ellis (7), Daniel Thomas (11), Dujuan Harris (13), Stephens-Howling (16)
WR - Fitzgerald (2), Mike Williams (8), Josh Gordon (9), Michael Floyd (10), Randle (12)
TE - J. Graham (3), Gronkowski (5)
K - Hartley (15)
D - Rams (14)

I wasn't planning on taking 2 tight ends that early but I felt the value was too good to pass up. The good running backs were taken by the time I got to pick in the 2nd round so I didn't want to reach for a mediocre one. I am going to try to trade for a better 2nd running back.

I'd love to hear some feedback.

After Gronk plays a couple games to prove he's healthy, I'd definitely try to trade him or Graham for a solid second running back or even a top tier #2 WR. Your team definitely doesn't look bad, but if you can play a healthy Gronk and swing Graham for a good back, I'd like your chances to go deeper a lot more.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 am

so i didnt take my own advice. 3rd overall pick in my 10 teamer with my college buddies - martin, forte, graham so far. liking how it shaking out so far. people are reaching for QBs already
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR