uVerse, DirectTV or Dish Network?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

uVerse, DirectTV or Dish Network?

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Any thoughts on which is best? After cutting the cable cord with Time Warner a couple of years ago, we want to go back - mainly because my wife wants to watch Oprah's network and we both liked HGTV. I'm pretty set against going back to Time Warner, but U-Verse just came to my neighborhood, and their package seems pretty good. They don't carry NHL Center Ice, but I can get that on my Roku. Anyone have particularly good or bad experiences with any of the uVerse, DirectTV or Dish options? I live in Charlotte, if that makes any difference.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: uVerse, DirectTV or Dish Network?

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I was with Dish for years before we lost our signal due to trees. I seldom had any issues and when I did, they were promptly addressed. Last winter someone crashed through our fence and took out one of the dishes and DN sent a tech out the next day (a Sunday) to replace it -free of charge. I'd go back in a heartbeat but I'm stuck with comcast. :(
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I just made the switch from TWC to DirecTV. So far, mostly pleased. There have been a handful of times where I'm getting an error code with the dish and have to reset the box, but I contacted them about it yesterday and they had someone out this morning to remedy it. He said it should be set now, but if not, he gave me his cell phone number and told me to just call him directly and he'll rewire the whole system.

With TWC I had one DVR plus the phone/internet. I now have the Genie (5 DVR's total), have a few more channels, and a ton more space for recordings. I got Windstream for phone/internet. Once all the discounts/promotions go away after three years I'll still be paying less than what I was paying for TWC.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Been with DirecTV since 2000 and I have no real complaints. Have uVerse for internet, which I don't particularly like but it's the fastest option in my neighborhood.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm

been with Directv since 2001. never really had any problems. once in awhile when a REALLY bad storm comes through I'll lose my HD signal for a few seconds but I can usually pick up the SD signal just fine and as someone pointed out to me once, if a storm is that bad you really should have your expensive tv unplugged anyway.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Center Ice on my Directv. the picture is clearer than at my friends houses that have HD cable and Directv has home AND away feeds of just about every game. my only complaint is that when 2 Canadian teams play each other other than HNIC there is rarely an HD feed from either. wtf is up with that???
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm

There should be a sticky thread for this with one sentence: DirecTV rocks!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR