uVerse, DirectTV or Dish Network?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

uVerse, DirectTV or Dish Network?

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Any thoughts on which is best? After cutting the cable cord with Time Warner a couple of years ago, we want to go back - mainly because my wife wants to watch Oprah's network and we both liked HGTV. I'm pretty set against going back to Time Warner, but U-Verse just came to my neighborhood, and their package seems pretty good. They don't carry NHL Center Ice, but I can get that on my Roku. Anyone have particularly good or bad experiences with any of the uVerse, DirectTV or Dish options? I live in Charlotte, if that makes any difference.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: uVerse, DirectTV or Dish Network?

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I was with Dish for years before we lost our signal due to trees. I seldom had any issues and when I did, they were promptly addressed. Last winter someone crashed through our fence and took out one of the dishes and DN sent a tech out the next day (a Sunday) to replace it -free of charge. I'd go back in a heartbeat but I'm stuck with comcast. :(
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I just made the switch from TWC to DirecTV. So far, mostly pleased. There have been a handful of times where I'm getting an error code with the dish and have to reset the box, but I contacted them about it yesterday and they had someone out this morning to remedy it. He said it should be set now, but if not, he gave me his cell phone number and told me to just call him directly and he'll rewire the whole system.

With TWC I had one DVR plus the phone/internet. I now have the Genie (5 DVR's total), have a few more channels, and a ton more space for recordings. I got Windstream for phone/internet. Once all the discounts/promotions go away after three years I'll still be paying less than what I was paying for TWC.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Been with DirecTV since 2000 and I have no real complaints. Have uVerse for internet, which I don't particularly like but it's the fastest option in my neighborhood.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm

been with Directv since 2001. never really had any problems. once in awhile when a REALLY bad storm comes through I'll lose my HD signal for a few seconds but I can usually pick up the SD signal just fine and as someone pointed out to me once, if a storm is that bad you really should have your expensive tv unplugged anyway.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Center Ice on my Directv. the picture is clearer than at my friends houses that have HD cable and Directv has home AND away feeds of just about every game. my only complaint is that when 2 Canadian teams play each other other than HNIC there is rarely an HD feed from either. wtf is up with that???
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm

There should be a sticky thread for this with one sentence: DirecTV rocks!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DirectTV -- Genie vs HD TiVo?

Postby relantel on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:45 am

don't want to create a new thread... any DirecTVers out there have the Genie/Genie minis? Trying to decide if that upgrade offer is best or if we want to HD TiVo. (We have 10 year old Series 2 TiVo receivers from before the DirecTV-TiVo hiatus) - apparently they will cover one of either one, plus a mini if Genie, but if we want more we'd have to pay. The side benefit is we won't have to disconnect the existing receivers, and we can continue to watch what is recorded, even with the incoming signal moving to new units, as we own those outright (and have all along). We're used to the TiVo interface obviously but we are not beholden to it if the Genie is a better deal. (The freedom of the Genie sounds really nice - - and having just upgraded our internet from 1.5Mbps to 75Mbps, adding the on-demand capability would be nice, as they never activated the future use slots on the existing units)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:48 am

+1 for DirecTV.

edit: i have the genie. its nice for the whole home DVR. i dont really use the on demand stuff as much as i should. the occasional movie and the premium channels mostly.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

I think I have the last whole-home DVR they had before branding as the Genie. I like it a lot, and when I move I'll probably upgrade to the Genie as it'll probably be free as part of their moving incentive.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 am

well, I never had a Tivo so I can't really speak to whether it's better. I did upgrade to Genie/Genie minis a few months ago. I was going to go wireless but the install guy said it wasn't necessary. my main reason for wanting to go wireless was due to our master bedroom upstairs which would've been a nightmare to wire up 15 years ago when the system was put in so we've just been using a wireless thing that sent the signal up to that tv. the installer talked us out of the wireless AND wired up the master bedroom with a Genie mini and in the process saved us $100 since we didn't need the "wireless bridge" anymore. the main benefits of the Genie to me are 1) I can now record 5 things at once 2) I can watch on any tv in the house 3) the main Genie comes with picture in picture so I can keep an eye on when hockey games come back from intermission 4) we now have OnDemand
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 am

The new whole home DVR systems (Genie, Hopper, X1) are finally closing in on Tivo and Windows Media Center in terms of functionality and attractive interface.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 pm

I like DirecTV very much. Wife did not like the On Demand which runs through the internet, but since we went back to Comcast for internet it runs just fine. Finally accepted that Verizon is never bringing FIOS to my neighborhood.

Things I do not like about it: DirecTV seems more expensive after the initial year but like all these things it is scalable, so we can cut it back pretty easily if we want. Also, I get annoyed with the crap ton of bandwidth they use on home shopping channels. They need them all in SD and HD?

We have the Genie with 2 Genie minis.

Anyone have Genie Go? Think that will be my next techie purchase.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I had DirecTV from 2007-2010 and enjoyed everything but what it cost. Center Ice usually had both Home and Away HD feeds, unless it was an MSG team.

Edit: My parents have xfinity and we use their login for HBO Go and so on. I logged in today to watch a show and up came their bill...$250 for internet, phone, and TV. Good grief.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:39 pm

IIRC, Center Ice doesn't have home feeds for Canadian teams at all. Which is fine by me.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Yeah, the Canadian teams aren't worth watching anyway. :pop:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I had DirecTV from 2007-2010 and enjoyed everything but what it cost. Center Ice usually had both Home and Away HD feeds, unless it was an MSG team.

Edit: My parents have xfinity and we use their login for HBO Go and so on. I logged in today to watch a show and up came their bill...$250 for internet, phone, and TV. Good grief.

You might want to ask them if you can review their bill. That's an egregious tally for service. Is it behind a month or something?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:25 pm

Nah, it isn't a month behind. My dad is easily talked into stuff he doesn't need, like the fastest internet available, so he and my mother can play Words with Friends. :lol:

Taking a look at it, they charge them $8 a month for a modem/router combo, and multiple HD receivers and DVRs too. And they rented Dead Poet's Society last month too, for $2.99.

He needs to buy his own modem/router, at least. Even TWC charges less than that per month to rent a modem.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, the Canadian teams aren't worth watching anyway. :pop:

My point being that I always get the Pens home broadcast when they're in Winnipeg. :P

There are a finite amount of slots so it shifts the chances in my favor.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:26 am

dodint wrote:IIRC, Center Ice doesn't have home feeds for Canadian teams at all. Which is fine by me.

not true on Directv. the Canadian team home feeds are usually not HD but they ARE available, maybe once a week outside of the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast Directv Center Ice will air TSN/Sportsnet in HD. MSG is now regularly in HD but often times Comcast Philly is not. weird since Comcast D.C. and Comcast San Jose usually are.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR