Gluten free diet

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gluten free diet

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:45 pm

I know this has been discussed in other threads but...

I've been resisting this for a long time, but immthinking of trying to go Gluten free and see if it helps my energy level.

It's going to be particulary hard for me given my travel schedule.

Does anyone have any good resources / links for how to get started?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Gluten free diet

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 pm

That includes beer, EPP. ;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm

columbia wrote:That includes beer, EPP. ;)

I know... That's probably the biggest the reason I haven't done it before. That and my beloved bagels.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bioshock on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I eat gluten free most of the time and it helps me overall. I cut out all white bread and pasta and the only thing left is the occasional beer and soup. I can say i feel incredible and need less sleep to function now.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:27 pm

do you think its a result of the gluten free or the deficit in carbohydrate intake? or both?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm gluten free, but I have a gluten sensitivity. Honestly, after the first week and two grocery runs, it's easy to figure out what you can't eat. Also, if you have a smartphone, download the ShopWell app. It has a barcode scanner feature that will tell you if items are gluten free. It doesn't have local items, like GE brand things, but you get the idea of what to avoid. The hardest meal to eat gluten free, for me at least, is breakfast. No more bagels, no more donuts, no to most cereals. All in all, it's fairly easy to grasp and adhear to. Traveling constantly will definitely throw you some curveballs.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 pm

The hidden gluten is the tricky part. Not sure how far you want to take this, but for example, McDonald's fries...hydrolyzed wheat protein mixed in with the potatoes.

Many soy sauces have the same HWP in them, so no Chinese food with sauces.

Many (most) broths (chicken and beef) have HWP in them too. Lots of marinated meats use broth. No gravies are really safe.

And there is no consistency in labeling. Some have "Contains wheat" some don't list it as a warning, just in the list of ingredients.

Even "Rice Krispies" and "Corn Flakes" contain gluten in the form of malt flavoring...made my poor kid so sick before I learned this one.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 pm

blackjack68 wrote:The hidden gluten is the tricky part. Not sure how far you want to take this, but for example, McDonald's fries...hydrolyzed wheat protein mixed in with the potatoes.

Many soy sauces have the same HWP in them, so no Chinese food with sauces.

Many (most) broths (chicken and beef) have HWP in them too. Lots of marinated meats use broth. No gravies are really safe.

And there is no consistency in labeling. Some have "Contains wheat" some don't list it as a warning, just in the list of ingredients.

Even "Rice Krispies" and "Corn Flakes" contain gluten in the form of malt flavoring...made my poor kid so sick before I learned this one.

So that's great... And even though I don't think I have a major issue with Gluten, I'm still interested in seeing if a gluten free diet is beneficial for me.

So to me, I'm not worried about small amounts of gluten in soy sauce for instance. But I know my daily bagel is probably something that I need to give up. I'm totally uninformed about my Kung Pao Chicken over brown rice though... Is that out of the question as well?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Rice does not contain gluten, nor does corn or potatoes..despite what some restaurant servers have tried to explain to me.

Other than your soy sauce in Kung Pao, you should be good...unless you have a chinese restaurant that breads and deep fries all their chicken (like sweet & sour chicken chunks).
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:09 am

You ever see this, blackjack?

http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html

Wegmans in cherry hill has it. So does whole foods. It's a great soy sauce substitute - if you ever want to cook some Chinese at home.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:59 am

I did the bloodtype diet for a long time, which for my type (O+) meant avoiding gluten. I got really great results; it's mainly an immunity system/general health diet, but the side effects of weight loss were terrific. I lost 45 pounds and felt great. Check it out: http://www.dadamo.com/
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Nutriblast ftw.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR