How do you access your music and movies on the go?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How do you access your music and movies on the go?

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I've been screwing with server software for a few years and I've finally found the solution I'll be sticking with - Plex. Anyone else using it? It's a fantastic way to access your digital media library. Instead of putting your music in a cloud you are turning your home computer into a cloud.

Plex is a fork from XBMC and has so many parts its a little bit confusing to wrap your head around at first:
-Plex Media Server is software for computers and NAS devices
-a DLNA server for DLNA devices like Xbox 360, smart tvs, bluray players, etc
-playback clients apps for iOS, Android, Roku, Google TV, etc
-a web interface for accessing your home media on any PC
-a front end for HTPCs

You install the server software on your home pc with all your media on it and create an account. If you want to access it from your phone you download the app for your operating system and log in to your account. Instantly you have all your files ready to play.

What really makes Plex stand out is the video transcoder. Transcoding is taking a video file with certain codecs that don't work on your device and turning it into another file that is compatible in real time. You need a newer PC to do this because the CPU usage is really high, but on Plex it works really well.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: How do you access your music and movies on the go?

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Smashing, Basil.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm still clinging to the Ipod.

My friend swears by Imatch.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 pm

I don't watch movies or listen to music on the go.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:43 pm

I had the toughest time getting PLEX to work with my Roku and pc. It sounds pretty awesome, but gave up. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:49 pm

how is it with uncompressed MKV bluray rips?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm

The Roku has very limited codec support - for video it only supports H264, and not at high bitrates. So if you have MPEG2 (ripped dvds, some bluray) MPEG4 Part 2 (xvid, divx), or VC1 (bluray and hd-dvd) it HAS to transcode it. Same with a bluray quality bitrate on H264 - it can't handle it and needs to be compressed.

It also doesn't support AC3 or DTS unless the Roku is plugged into a receiver. I bet Plex tries to transcode them both into AAC.

So what does all that mean? It means every video you play on the Roku will hog a lot of CPU power on the host computer.

shmenguin wrote:how is it with uncompressed MKV bluray rips?

Depends on what codecs the device you plan on playing it supports - the apps themselves for different devices don't add codec support. So for example if you loaded the Plex app on the Sony Google TV bluray player you should be able to play everything, since the bluray player had to license all the codecs for playing back blurays. If you tried doing it on the Sony Google TV television set you wouldn't get DTS audio and Plex would convert it to Dolby Digital on the fly.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

ok...more specifically, will i be able to play my uncompressed mkv bluray rips on my iphone 5?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:15 pm

shmenguin wrote:ok...more specifically, will i be able to play my uncompressed mkv bluray rips on my iphone 5?

Will you get audio and video on your phone? yes

Will it be the same untouched mkv? no, it knows the iphone can't play those codecs at those bitrates. It also can take slower internet upload speeds and cellular connections into account. What it will send to the iphone is a 1Mbps MP4 file with H264 video and AAC audio that it creates in real time. You can control the bitrate and resolution it sends.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Am I the only one that gets joy from making a mixed CD with my current favorite songs?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:29 pm

a boombox on my shoulder, usually.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

canaan wrote:a boombox on my shoulder, usually.

Too modern. You need to transfer your tunes to wax cylinder and get a shoulder strap for this:

The hipsters will never know what hit them.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:55 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:ok...more specifically, will i be able to play my uncompressed mkv bluray rips on my iphone 5?

Will you get audio and video on your phone? yes

Will it be the same untouched mkv? no, it knows the iphone can't play those codecs at those bitrates. It also can take slower internet upload speeds and cellular connections into account. What it will send to the iphone is a 1Mbps MP4 file with H264 video and AAC audio that it creates in real time. You can control the bitrate and resolution it sends.

i don't really care about the quality while i'm streaming. i'd just want to be able to watch the movies. this sounds interesting. i assume it can handle WTV's as well, no?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:36 pm

playing them isn't a problem. organizing can be.

I have some wtv files in my movie library that display metadata and play with no problem. tv shows are a bit different unless you move and organize your shows in accordance with their naming guidelines. if you point the plex tv library at an unorganized recorded tv folder it wont display anything.

I solved that problem by creating a home movies library (one of plexs options) and pointing that at my dvr recordings. it displays them more or less the way windows explorer does but they all show up and play.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:41 pm

In the old days - 10 years ago - I ran an Icecast streaming server from home to listen to my collection at work. Then wrote a request interface, in case I wanted to hear something specific amidst the randomness.

Now I just have everything loaded into Google and stream it to my phone.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm fine with my music uploaded to Google Play, cos I don't really have many videos ripped that I'd want to watch on the road. If I have a hanerkin' for a movie or documentary or TV show, I've found Netflix and Hulu satisfy like 99% of what I want.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:27 am

tifosi77 wrote:I'm fine with my music uploaded to Google Play, cos I don't really have many videos ripped that I'd want to watch on the road. If I have a hanerkin' for a movie or documentary or TV show, I've found Netflix and Hulu satisfy like 99% of what I want.

Same. Its cool that you can do all that stuff but streaming services work pretty much all the time for me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 am

Yea, Netflix provides a large enough library that if I feel like watching something on my computer I easily can.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR