A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:19 pm

in the first scene of this last episode, do you guys think theres any significance of todd telling the nazis that whole train story, but leaving out the part about shooting the kid?
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,295
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 pm
Location: Raven/Capital Land

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:
shmenguin wrote:all the skyler hate makes anna gunn a sad panda.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opini ... html?_r=1&

i get it, but what's being ignored is that people's first impression of skyler was that she was a naggy shrew in season one - before walt went sour and she became a victim. it's those episodes where she smoked while pregnant and kept walt's nuts in a jar that the hate is derived from, and not some broader issue.


She's absolutely right, though. Skyler seems to be more much despised than Walter, which is mind-boggling. Not to mention that the truly annoying and insufferable female character in the show is Marie.


I really hope Marie dies horribly before the end of the show.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby demondg1 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm

The reasons I hate Skyler White:

- She eff'd Ted
- "Happy birthday Mr. President"
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,605
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Gaucho on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 pm

I think the authors want me to want bad things to happen to Walt at this point and I'll happily concede.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,557
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Yeah, I understand people rooting for Walt at this point, but I'm not one of them. Hank and/or Jesse all the way.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm not rooting for Walt at all. I can't wait to see everything come toppling down on him.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Trip to Belize
Spoiler:
Image
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,105
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:So we all agree that Anna Gunn is right. Right?


I guess I can't speak for others, but my history of not liking her is strictly because of her personality...which doesn't mesh with what she's saying, right?

But I don't even really dislike her much anymore, and haven't for a while, since she's gotten the emotional crap kicked out of her.

She used to be an annoying nag, and deserved all the venom.

Edit...not ALL the venom obviously. People go too far

Yea, I saw the show's creator Vince has BEEN saying that stuff about people that dislike her.. .I disagree, they made her character insanely unlikable in the beginning. My girlfriend can't stand her character and from the first season wished Skyler would be "killed off." I don't she hates women?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,959
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Jesse and Hank combined are not equal to Walt's gigantic brain. He's thought of everything. Walt is Michael Jordan and Hank and Jesse are Patrick Ewing.

Image
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,238
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Kraftster on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Yeah, I was just talking the other day about the fact that there's perhaps no rooting interest with a particular character right now. I'm just sort of along for the ride. I think if anyone, I'm drawn towards rooting for Jesse. I find it very hard to support rooting for Walt. To be rooting for Walt at this point seems like either a really superficial view of the show/character or you have issues. I get that Walt/Heisenberg is a tremendous character, but so was Anton Chigurh -- that doesn't really justify rooting for them to continue to kill and terrorize (and rape in the instance of Walt).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,103
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 pm

demondg1 wrote:The reasons I hate Skyler White:

- She eff'd Ted
- "Happy birthday Mr. President"

Yea, and if you remember she "eff'd" Ted before the first episode starts in the their story line time (so there goes any sympathy from me). "1 time thing, which was why she originally left the company before coming back for more.

That combined with smoking while pregnant, AND what always bugged me was not that she couldn't stand what Walt was doing (completely the right thing), but the fact that she responded with all the Ted stuff.... who was doing all of his fraud things but was somehow acceptable to her.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,959
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm

I cheering for Jesse the whole way. Not only because we share a name, but because of what he's been put through by Walt. Granted that without Walt, Jesse would still be in his old ways of cooking and could very easily be in jail or dead.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:49 pm

I kind of enjoy how Walt has basically become Gus, despite Mike's "Just because you shot Jesse James, doesn't make you Jesse James."

- How afraid of Walt Sal now is
- When Sal's security guards briefly debated stealing his money referenced how dangerous of a man Walt is / easily could get them in Mexico
- How afraid of Walt Jesse became / knew he could kill him / Sal's "If I were you I'd be a little more afraid right now," in the dessert when waiting for Walt and Jesse had that "I don't even care if they kill me attitude" (like he did with Mike / Gus when he was relapsing and falling apart
- Killing or putting kids in danger to get what he wants
- And especially, when that lady in charge of the company kept trying to freak out on Walt as he worked at his business, but Walt kept the character of a store clerk (exactly what Gus did to Walt multiple times)

Gus apparently had a sympathetic past as well, just awesome to me how much Walt has completely replaced Gus (although with a lot less control)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,959
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Kraftster on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 pm

IanMoran wrote:I kind of enjoy how Walt has basically become Gus, despite Mike's "Just because you shot Jesse James, doesn't make you Jesse James."

- And especially, when that lady in charge of the company kept trying to freak out on Walt as he worked at his business, but Walt kept the character of a store clerk (exactly what Gus did to Walt multiple times)



Great call.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,103
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:03 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Amazing episode. Walt completely neutered Hank, awesome move on his part. I really have no idea how this show is going to end. So many possibilities. Not since the end of "The Shield" have I been this amped up for a show's finale.


Sort of a theme across the entire show... Hank is a tough field guy, but no one really listens to him. Sort of the paper tiger syndrome.


think so? i don't know about that. he's always seemed very well-respected amongst his peers and subordinates.


Not that he's ineffective... just that he tends to back down when he's challenged and survives on the 'Hero' persona. Marie wears the pants at home, was ready to quit El Paso before the events there, now bullied into a corner by Walt.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:41 pm

There is still a chance that Walt can redeem himself morally. I mean, there's not much one can do to redeem themselves of the murder of an innocent child, but he could make things "right" by taking out a bunch of bad guys and turning himself in/dying. Would that be redemption enough for him?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,064
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

The issue with Walt redeeming himself is that I don't think in his eyes he's done anything over the top wrong. He's justified his murders, he's come to terms with what has happened as a result of his work, he seemed complacent and ready to just move on with this life and his new fortune. Almost the exact opposite of Jesse.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:55 pm

In his eyes, no, he doesnt think he's done anything over the top. Maybe something happens that changes that.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,064
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Hopefully what happens is that that bad thing happens to him in prison.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Gaucho on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:12 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:In his eyes, no, he doesnt think he's done anything over the top. Maybe something happens that changes that.


If this were bad movie then maybe the death of his child could bring about that change, but I don't really see it happening.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,557
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Listening to bill burr's podcast from this week and he's talking about how he just got caught up on the second half of the season. He's talking about how they don't tell him whats going on so he has no idea which is perfect, because Saul would just tell him what to do and his character would never know whats going on. So he's watching an episode and is suddenly like "oh thaaats what that was for". It would be pretty cool to be in that situation, you could actually watch the show as if it were part of your world.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I think as far as redeeming himself, you have to ask whose perspective are you looking at? From Walt's point of view nothing will redeem himself as nothing he's done is "wrong". From Hank's point of view there is nothing Walt can do to redeem himself (especially after last episode). And really you can walk down the line and say what it would take for redemption, but it starts with Walt. He doesn't want it because he feels he doesn't need it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,795
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:01 pm

count2infinity wrote:I cheering for Jesse the whole way. Not only because we share a name, but because of what he's been put through by Walt. Granted that without Walt, Jesse would still be in his old ways of cooking and could very easily be in jail or dead.


I think Jesse might actually prefer that. All Jesse ever wanted to do was cook some crappy chili powder meth and get high with Badger, Combo and Skinny Pete. For all of Jesse's faults and addictions, he seems to be good at heart (at least more than most people on this show) and is simply a self-destructive waste with little desire for harm or ill-will towards others. Getting caught in Walt's wake has caused a lot of collateral damage that makes it not worth it for Jesse.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,105
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 pm

itissteeltime wrote:in the first scene of this last episode, do you guys think theres any significance of todd telling the nazis that whole train story, but leaving out the part about shooting the kid?

I'd say just to further emphasize that Todd has no soul. Vince gilligan said that him leaving out the kid was the reason for the scene.

I think at this point Walter should just tell jesse that he let Jane die. Might as well put everything on the table.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:49 pm

I have the feeling that Walt is going to off Jesse, and that is why he goes on the run. Walt has the upper hand with Hank now because of the "confession" DVD, and while Hank is still a threat, Jesse poses a bigger threat to Walt at the current moment. If Walt were to kill Jesse, someone who is being investigated for throwing millions of dollars away, that would give him reason to go on the run.

I always thought that Jesse would make it until the end, but Vince Gilligan has never kept a character around just because they are popular. He kills them when he feels the need.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,572
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


e-mail