A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A little late, but... Breaking Bad???

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:16 pm

So what was Walt trying to accomplish with that call? Seems like he was trying to separate himself completely from Skylar in an effort to show that he was the one in charge so she doesn't face any legal trouble. He was more distraught than angry by the end.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 pm

We have two full episodes to go. We know Walt has to come back from NH or whatever... the question is why. I would have thought that the Nazis would threaten his family if he didn't cook for them... but if they have Jesse... do they really need Walt?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 pm

The preview seems to suggest it is to protect his family. I still think it's Jesse to some degree as well.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Staggy on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:18 pm

MWB wrote:So what was Walt trying to accomplish with that call? Seems like he was trying to separate himself completely from Skylar in an effort to show that he was the one in charge so she doesn't face any legal trouble. He was more distraught than angry by the end.

Wow I didn't even notice that. Mind is blown.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:18 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:How is there no gray area? Even through the end, Walt did what he did to save his family (Skyler and Walt Jr). He knew the police were listening in on the call, and had to take the baby to make it look like Skyler was forced into cooperating with him under the threat of violence. If it wasn't for that, she would probably be going to prison and their kids would essentially be orphans.

Cranstons acting was superb--trying to act tough on the phone while showing signs of the old Walt, crying underneath. Brilliant.

Bingo.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Staggy wrote:
MWB wrote:So what was Walt trying to accomplish with that call? Seems like he was trying to separate himself completely from Skylar in an effort to show that he was the one in charge so she doesn't face any legal trouble. He was more distraught than angry by the end.

Same here. Great point... I was still taken aback by the way things went to pot so fast... missed that completely.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:19 pm

the wicked child wrote:
Staggy wrote:

Same here. Great point... I was still taken aback by the way things went to pot so fast... missed that completely.

Also seemed like Skylar may have realized what he was doing by the end.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:20 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:How is there no gray area? Even through the end, Walt did what he did to save his family (Skyler and Walt Jr). He knew the police were listening in on the call, and had to take the baby to make it look like Skyler was forced into cooperating with him under the threat of violence. If it wasn't for that, she would probably be going to prison and their kids would essentially be orphans.

Cranstons acting was superb--trying to act tough on the phone while showing signs of the old Walt, crying underneath. Brilliant.

great post. i'll have to watch that phone call scene again, with this in mind.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm

This. Additionally, he talked up Hank's death to make it seem like he was responsible, which keeps the Nazis hidden, which protects his family (and probably all of Albuquerque). Master plan foiled, empire destroyed, turned on by his family, truth discovered, on the run and Walt's still doing what he can to protect his family.

Edit: And yes, Cranston's acting is unbelievable.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:31 pm

MWB wrote:

Bingo.

:thumb:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Quite a bit of drama got sucked out of hank's death with the week between episodes. The cliff hanger was regrettable, especially since it wasn't really a cliff hanger. I don't know..that scene seemed way too casual.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:47 pm

shmenguin wrote:Quite a bit of drama got sucked out of hank's death with the week between episodes. The cliff hanger was regrettable, especially since it wasn't really a cliff hanger. I don't know..that scene seemed way too casual.

I think it would have been better to end the previous episode after Hank finished his call with Marie... just zoom in on Walt in the back of the car and fin. The way it ended in the middle of the gun fight was like a middle finger, IMO... which is why I was annoyed last week.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah, understandable. I do think Gilligan wanted to set up this episode with Walt again begging for Hank to be saved, then being completely broken. Wouldn't have been able to do that with the same effect if it happened last week.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:21 pm

This is genius
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:32 am

MWB wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Staggy wrote:

I definitely think Skylar knew by the end of the call. Her tone went from aggressive ("Where's Holly?!?!?") to submissive ("I'm sorry...") almost as to say, I'm just a wife that'll do whatever I'm told.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 am

I hope nobody thinks that Walt is to be applauded for still trying to protect his family, because him trying to protect his family is what brought this whole mess about. He cares so much about family that he destroyed his own and a few others in the process.

I mean, that's what the whole show is about, right?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 am

Gaucho wrote:I hope nobody thinks that Walt is to be applauded for still trying to protect his family, because him trying to protect his family is what brought this whole mess about. He cares so much about family that he destroyed his own and a few others in the process.

Right--but there's so many people out there saying, "oh, THIS moment is where Walter White dies and he becomes Heisenberg for good,' but no--not at all--we see that even in the end, Walt held true to his principles and put his family over everything. He was willing to give up his money and his life for Hank, trade $80M for his brother in law, and in the end when his own wife tried to kill him he kidnapped Holly to get the police in on it to clear her name.

The way they bookended the episode with Walt calling Skyler--the first time to lie to protect himself, the second to lie to protect her--was perfect to showcase that.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I hope nobody thinks that Walt is to be applauded for still trying to protect his family, because him trying to protect his family is what brought this whole mess about. He cares so much about family that he destroyed his own and a few others in the process.

Right--but there's so many people out there saying, "oh, THIS moment is where Walter White dies and he becomes Heisenberg for good,' but no--not at all--we see that even in the end, Walt held true to his principles and put his family over everything. He was willing to give up his money and his life for Hank, trade $80M for his brother in law, and in the end when his own wife tried to kill him he kidnapped Holly to get the police in on it to clear her name.

The way they bookended the episode with Walt calling Skyler--the first time to lie to protect himself, the second to lie to protect her--was perfect to showcase that.

Sure, which goes to show that there's always been that gray area and the whole concept was flawed from the beginning.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:37 am

count2infinity wrote:
MWB wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Staggy wrote:

I definitely think Skylar knew by the end of the call. Her tone went from aggressive ("Where's Holly?!?!?") to submissive ("I'm sorry...") almost as to say, I'm just a wife that'll do whatever I'm told.

I kind of thought it was pretty obvious what was going on. Walt went directly from being abrasive on the phone (camera cut to him) to him crying in person and most of what he was saying on the phone was a lie (about Skylers being basically submissive). She clearly figured it out when he started "lying".

You are right though, pretty genius episode as it went from everyone thinking he was all on to bad guy, right back to him doing everything to save who he could.

Bummer about enslaved Jesse though....wow.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 am

Yeah, definitely rewatch the scene if you didn't catch the protect skylar bit. I owe my wife on that one. Within two seconds of the call she said, "he's going to clear skylar." What a job by Cranston on that scene.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 am

So how many innocent victims are acceptable to protect your own family? (Or shall I say the White house?)
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 am

No reason to doubt Gilligan and these next two eps, but this felt like it could have been the series finale.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 am

So was Walt taking Holly all along in order to be able to make that call to protect Skylar?

Also, perhaps because of the theory that the video would leak and Hank would go down as the drug lord of the southwest posthumously, I was a bit surprised at how quickly Walt basically confessed to being what he is.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:50 am

slappybrown wrote:No reason to doubt Gilligan and these next two eps, but this felt like it could have been the series finale.

really? you'd have been satisfied with that? Jesse as a slave until Todd learns the cook, then he's dead. Walt living in NH for the rest of his life cut off from the family he desperately wants to be with and "protect". I have so many questions.... What is Marie going to do from here? How is Walt Jr. going to react to all of this? Does Skylar just keep going on business as usual with the carwash? Do the Nazi's get anything (from authorities or otherwise) for killing Hank? What's up with Lydia?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:51 am

Kraftster wrote:So was Walt taking Holly all along in order to be able to make that call to protect Skylar?

Also, perhaps because of the theory that the video would leak and Hank would go down as the drug lord of the southwest posthumously, I was a bit surprised at how quickly Walt basically confessed to being what he is.

If Walt leaves and doesn't take Holly, do you think the police are there when he makes the call?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR