Sprint or Verizon help

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sprint or Verizon help

Postby pens9192 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 am

My wife wants an iPhone and we are trying to decide between Verizon and Sprint. We live in the suburbs.

My father works for Sprint and through his discount she can get a plan for $40 a month. This includes unlimited data, messaging, mobile to mobile minutes, and 500 anytime minutes to landlines. Tethering is not included in that plan though. That is cheap but I am concerned about coverage. Both my parents have Sprint service. They have no complaints though my father will drop calls on a rural stretch of road he takes to work and my mother roams where she works in a small town surrounded by rural/country areas. When they come to visit our house, they have three bars of coverage and receive calls/texts fine. I am not sure on data speeds in our area. I know there are a few remote places at the moment where you get LTE in our area and I have heard and read numerous complaints on Sprint's data speeds being awful. But my wife would mainly use data via WiFi when connected at home, work, or Starbucks.

Regarding Verizon, they have the best coverage and speed in our area. I have had Verizon through work for seven years and have had zero problems or issues and pretty good 3G speeds. I receive full bars when inside buildings, at home, and most main roads and never any dropped calls. We know of one tiny "dead" spot in our main traveling area with Verizon (with Sprint it is unknown for us) and that is it. Pricing out a new Share Everything Verizon plan with my corporate discount would be $80 a month for the 1GB of data, $88 for 2GB and tethering is included (she might use this as she has a Kindle Fire).

So the Sprint option would be half the price per month, but unsure of the coverage and data speeds. Verizon is more expensive but we know the coverage and speeds we are getting. Is it worth the cheaper price (saving $480-$576 a year) to go with Sprint?
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Sprint or Verizon help

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 am

Depends on how much data she plans on using.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 am

If lots of data Sprint, if not Verizon. I have Sprint currently cause I steam a lot of podcasts and use data quite a bit. They have unlimited (true unlimited) data. Other carries go in tiers. Sprints network though is quite spotty, you roam when you don't know you're roaming (that can be turned off) I also get kicked down to less than 3G speeds fairly often... I can't endorse Sprint for anything other than the true unlimited data.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

Pavel Bure wrote:If lots of data Sprint, if not Verizon. I have Sprint currently cause I steam a lot of podcasts and use data quite a bit. They have unlimited (true unlimited) data. Other carries go in tiers. Sprints network though is quite spotty, you roam when you don't know you're roaming (that can be turned off) I also get kicked down to less than 3G speeds fairly often... I can't endorse Sprint for anything other than the true unlimited data.

Sprint is very hit and miss for me. When I am in Pittsburgh its great, when I visit my parents in rural Western Maryland my service becomes extremely iffy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 am

I've always had Verizon, but I would be a little cautious about switching to an iPhone. I went from a bottom of the line LG Android phone to an iPhone 4S, primarily because my wife wanted an iPhone and it made sense for us to get new phones at the same time, share the same chargers, Facetime, etc. Even though it's still Verizon, my reception is significantly worse with the iPhone. I went from having one small deadzone on my commute to having 3-4, and I went from being able to talk on my phone inside the house (I live in a pretty rural area) to barely getting reception when I stand in my driveway.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens9192 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Not sure how much data she will use but I am guessing at least 2GB a month. I normally do a little over 1GB a month on my Verizon work phone and I am using three email accounts, web browsing, Twitter, Facebook, and a little streaming music. Most of the Twitter, Facebook, and music action happens at home when I am connected through Wi-Fi. She wants to do all of what I mentioned, plus streaming video and photo uploads but she says she can wait to do that on Wi-Fi. But she likes the idea of it being unlimited and not have to keep checking usage. I mean, the main places she would use the phone for data have Wi-Fi available (our house, grandparents, Starbucks, even Target). The only place where there isn't would be in the car and most restaurants.

I will double check with her to see if she would rather pay double more per month knowing her signal is good but having to keep tabs on data and holding back sometimes doing things until she is connected through Wi-Fi.

She spends time in the Elizabeth Township/Lincoln Borough areas of the county and spots there can be kind of rural so I'm concerned with coverage out that way.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm

I think I use like .6 GB a month. I dont' know how someone could use 2.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm

You could rip through a gig or two a month easily streaming pandora or other music services from your phone, if you do it on a daily basis and have a long commute to work, or use it as your primary source of music listening outside of the car as well.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:20 pm

The next big data use will be in cars. thats the only benefit I can see to Verizons data sharing plans - you can get your car stereo rigged into the net easier. updated maps, pandora, sms/email alerts, etc
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 pm

When traveling alot, I can rip through 4-5 gigs because I run everything from my 4g hotspot, and usually help a few people out that I am traveling with to get emails out, etc. If you are only using for mobile, seems like it would be hard to use more than 2.

IIRC, Iphones can't tether without jailbreak or a maxed out data plan. TMobile allows tethering on Android devices and even has their own app that they support. Thats why I switched to TMO.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 pm

I hate verizon. If I was a pshycho I would blow them up. Once they rope you in, they never let you leave and they constantly change/raise/add prices.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:35 pm

All Cellphone companies do the same stupid crap. It's just how it goes. Verizon.. AT&T... etc.. all the same just under a different name.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 60sixx on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 pm

I live in the N. Hills. I never, and I mean never have an issue with Verizon (I have iPhone 4, if that matters). BF has iPhone 5 with Sprint and almost daily wants to pay the gajillion dollar early termination fee to get out of it. Horrendously slow with data, dropped calls aplenty, poor call clarity.

I know they (Sprint) are trying to get the LTE set up in Pgh, but he has only had that come through twice, lasted less than 5 minutes.

That said, my mother has iPhone 4 with Sprint, has no complaints........but she mostly uses her phone for texting, not a lot of apps, etc.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gabe on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm

I have Sprint on a Galaxy S3 with truly unlimited data. I listen to Podcasts, radio or Pandora all day long while I am work on my phone, so I use quite a bit of data during the week. The one benefit they have is the data plan, HOWEVER, the network where i am is very tricky. It goes in and out quite a bit and rarely while I am working am I on 4G speed. I don't get charged for roaming so that part doesn't affect me.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR