Chromebooks?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Chromebooks?

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Anyone have experience? I feel like the new Samsung Chromebook for $249 is exactly what I've been looking for. It seems the major draw back is the need to use GoogleDrive and Play instead of the applications I've become familiar with: Office and iTunes. But after fooling around with the two, I'm beginning to think forcing me to do so -- and stopping e-mailing myself Word documents -- could actually be a net gain. It won't be my primary computer by a long shot; I'll still use my work PC. I might need to do some word processing in a bind, but I don't see how Google Docs couldn't replace Word in that situation.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Chromebooks?

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I've booted into Chromium OS (the opensource splinter of Chrome OS) on my netbook. Everything seems to run fine. I use my netbook as a web browser and a movie player when I'm on a plane. It doesn't support as many video file containers/codecs as Windows can though.

Most people don't realize they don't need a lot of computer software anymore and that the majority of what they want to do can be done inside the web browser.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:47 pm

I think this will be my next computer purchase also. Probably sometime around this Christmas, so hopefully the price drops.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I've booted into Chromium OS (the opensource splinter of Chrome OS) on my netbook. Everything seems to run fine. I use my netbook as a web browser and a movie player when I'm on a plane. It doesn't support as many video file containers/codecs as Windows can though.

Most people don't realize they don't need a lot of computer software anymore and that the majority of what they want to do can be done inside the web browser.

That's my reasoning, as well. If there was a fully compatible version of Word, it would be an absolute no brainer. Evidently there are some workarounds, that I could look into.

It has HDMI output, as well. Anyone ever try to stream video from netflix or something else through the HDMI out? That would make this ever-more appealing.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:If there was a fully compatible version of Word, it would be an absolute no brainer. Evidently there are some workarounds, that I could look into.

Open Office?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:40 pm

JS© wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:If there was a fully compatible version of Word, it would be an absolute no brainer. Evidently there are some workarounds, that I could look into.

Open Office?

I'm not sure if a web-based version of Open Office exists. From what I've read, there are some programs that either allow you to log on remotely or you can log onto a web-based version of Office, designed for businesses.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 pm

I bought one. I'll report back!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Got one on Amazon a couple of week ago for 225. Mainly for the wife who mainly does internet stuff. We have another laptop that can handle the stuff Chrome wouldn't be good at
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:07 am

i just got one a bit over a week ago when they were selling them in the amazon warehouse for $145 which was too good to pass up. i got a returned unit in mint condition.

it is well worth the price, espcially when it is so so easy to load ubuntu on it and you can switch between the chrome operating system and ubuntu with a simple 4 button press. the one thing you need to understand abou the chrome operating system is that everything is done in the browser. you can't download an mp3 and play it back, you can't download a video file and play it back. everything has to be done in the browser. the keyboard is excellent and the hardware is solid enough for the price. i'm not sure how well netflix works on it i haven't tried it, but there is no chrome app for it you would have to do everything within the browser. that being said flash works great on the chromebook but there are some weird flaws i've found where some flash sites won't load at all and that is due to the huge level of security google has built into their pepper flash plugin.

concerning office - with the chromebook they give you an extra 100gb free in google drive and you can do all the office work in the cloud with google drive. or you can load and toggle to ubuntu and save/edit/open anything you want directly on the internal drive or sd card.

anything you can't do with the chrome operatingn system you can do in ubuntu though if you choose to load it.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR