Cool places to explore in Pittsburgh

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Cool places to explore in Pittsburgh

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 am

I had to drop my car off in Glenshaw for work. Without a way home I decided to jog along the railroad that runs parallel to Route 8 and then across the 62nd street bridge.

Instead of going up Stanton Ave or Baker St to get back to East Liberty, I decided to explore a stair case off of 57th Street in Lawrenceville.

These stairs cut right through the woods and eventually there was a sign saying they were closed where the cement was crumbling. I was shocked to find a half dozen or so houses completely cut off up there beyond that starting with 312 57th Street. No driveways, no paths of any kind except that old set of stairs.

Eventually the stairs just ended and I crawled thru the woods until I ended up in someone's back yard off of Stanton Avenue in Stanton Heights.

That made me really want to explore some more of those old stair ways you see around town.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Cool places to explore in Pittsburgh

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

I find the Hollow fascinating, that secluded little neighborhood below 376 in between schenley park and greenfield.

There's also this tucked away little community towards the waterfront. If you're heading towards the bridge and veer off to the left behind that nursing home you'll stumble into that and also some little fishing spots on the river. There's also a path that runs along some train tracks over there that takes you to a really cool open area on the mon on the other side of the river from the waterfront trail.

If your feeling really brave, there are some pretty crazy little neighborhoods and streets in the braddock/rankin area.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

I did that once in Wilmerding. Found a set of stairs, just followed them and they kind of lead to nowhere.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 am

I have explored a lot of so called haunted areas in and around Pittsburgh.

larry's road house
The Devils Tunnel in the south hills.
The oldest cemetery in Pittsburgh.

Crap like that. Was fun!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 am

Troy Loney wrote:I find the Hollow fascinating, that secluded little neighborhood below 376 in between schenley park and greenfield.

There's also this tucked away little community towards the waterfront. If you're heading towards the bridge and veer off to the left behind that nursing home you'll stumble into that and also some little fishing spots on the river. There's also a path that runs along some train tracks over there that takes you to a really cool open area on the mon on the other side of the river from the waterfront trail.

If your feeling really brave, there are some pretty crazy little neighborhoods and streets in the braddock/rankin area.

Apparently those fishing spots are amazing. I believe they call that area Duck Hollow.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Duck Hollow is good fishing because that's where nine mile run comes into the Mon.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 pm

wilmerding. lol.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 pm

i remember every year when i was younger going to an indoor soccer tournament in wilmerding. the turkey tournament i think it was called. every thanksgiving weekend.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 pm

I'd like to find more isolated and abandoned houses like that. On the assessment site it looks like a few haven't had the taxes paid in years and the house ownership goes back to the 50s. I wonder if the owners are dead and nobody knows.

I didn't even notice powerlines, though I wasn't really looking since I was kind of creeped out by these places and was trying to get up the hill. I imagine SOMEBODY is going into those places.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:00 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I'd like to find more isolated and abandoned houses like that. On the assessment site it looks like a few haven't had the taxes paid in years and the house ownership goes back to the 50s. I wonder if the owners are dead and nobody knows.

I didn't even notice powerlines, though I wasn't really looking since I was kind of creeped out by these places and was trying to get up the hill. I imagine SOMEBODY is going into those places.

I think you should go to clairton, pa, i've never been, but i have a friend who's hoppy is exploring vacant places. there's a whole plan of vacant houses down there...she showed me pictures, it's pretty crazy
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:05 pm

bus station, airport...
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:05 pm

you have a friend who is a drifter?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:15 pm

explorer, not a drifter.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:wilmerding. lol.

When we lived out there, my dad worked at WABCO in Wilmerding.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:34 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I'd like to find more isolated and abandoned houses like that. On the assessment site it looks like a few haven't had the taxes paid in years and the house ownership goes back to the 50s. I wonder if the owners are dead and nobody knows.

Yeah, crack heads and junkies. Be careful out there brother. I know the area well, I grew up there. Lawrenceville is making a strong comeback and it's great to see, but there's still some areas you dont want to venture to. Glenshaw to East Liberty....Damn, that's impressive!
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

I think you should go to clairton, pa, i've never been, but i have a friend who's hoppy is exploring vacant places. there's a whole plan of vacant houses down there...she showed me pictures, it's pretty crazy

Yes, the houses that the state bought (seized) for the PA 43 project. It IS nuts.

This facebook page is awesome: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Abandone ... 4536307967
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Exploring vacant buildings seems like a good way to get stabbed by a meth or crack addict.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:14 pm

My wifes grandma, mom, and then us all married there in homestead, now abandoned. cool place. cool website

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Exploring vacant buildings seems like a good way to get stabbed by a meth or crack addict.

We used to do that back home when the city was first downsizing and there wasn't as many crackheads running around. In my old neighborhood alone, we had two abandoned schools, at least a dozen abandoned houses and at least 3 miles worth of old steel mills.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm

I used to love going into the abandoned Overholt distillery in broadford PA. Fun times
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:59 pm

mac5155 wrote:Image

This facebook page is awesome: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Abandone ... 4536307967

Dude, THAT'S where my LTD went!
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR