Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:@EdBouchette: #Steelers will re-sign RB Jonathan Dwyer

I guess im not that surprised now, as you all said...money talks.

What does money have to do with it? Isn't this all about needing another running back?

That's a response to some who think Dwyer had too much pride to come back.

It's a shame he didn't stay around to be the starter, if Haley didn't need to try bizarre blocking schemes for Redman because he can't run north-south tp save his life, maybe Decastro doesn't destroy Pouncey's knee?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am

DelPen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:

What does money have to do with it? Isn't this all about needing another running back?

It's a shame he didn't stay around to be the starter, if Haley didn't need to try bizarre blocking schemes for Redman because he can't run north-south tp save his life, maybe Decastro doesn't destroy Pouncey's knee?

I highly doubt Haley walked into Tomlin's office and said "Hey, we're gonna have the O-line block like this now".

Stuff like that is a group decision.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:

Does this mean that Tomlin will have to re-add Dwyer to his twitter?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am

Malkamaniac wrote:He's a bust sloppy. Deal with it.

okay dot jpeg
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 am

DelPen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:

People thought that? What about him makes them think that? Baseless speculation?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 am

Rocco wrote:Foote wouldn't be starting if Spence hadn't destroyed his knee.

spence was 5'11. he was far from a lock to be an nfl starter.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

That was the worst Steeler game I think I ever watched.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am

Remember that BA was fired to teach Ben a lesson. There was a report that cutting Dwyer wasn't a coaching decision. The current state of the team can be placed at ownerships feet.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:

People thought that? What about him makes them think that? Baseless speculation?

baseless speculation in the game thread yesterday
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:03 am

newarenanow wrote:That was the worst Steeler game I think I ever watched.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:05 am

viva la ben wrote:Remember that BA was fired to teach Ben a lesson. There was a report that cutting Dwyer wasn't a coaching decision. The current state of the team can be placed at ownerships feet.

Ownerships "hands off" approach has slowly eroded ever since Dan discoed off to Ireland.

Thanks Obama.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 am

He was here last year and is here now if I recall correctly.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 am

slappybrown wrote:He was here last year and is here now if I recall correctly.

Art Rooney II was handed title of President in 2004. He's slowly taken on more and more and mroe of day to day duties since then. I'd imagine Dan is just a figure head now. I think Art II is more "hands-on"
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:14 am

slappybrown wrote:He was here last year and is here now if I recall correctly.

From how I've heard the media talk about it, when Art II took over Dan was still around and voicing his opinion. Once Dan left it became all Art all the time and now that Dan is back its still all Art all the time. With each passing day Dan looks more and more like Stephen Hawking, so I don't think he's playing much of a role anymore.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 am

I feel like Mike Tomlin would be much better off if Art II wasn't involved so much and if Dick LeBeau would finally retire. Both are ties to old "Steeler" football. It's 2013. Get with the times.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 am

viva la ben wrote:Remember that BA was fired to teach Ben a lesson. There was a report that cutting Dwyer wasn't a coaching decision. The current state of the team can be placed at ownerships feet.

No one was all that thrilled with Arians when he was here. Somehow they've gone from an OC who ate paste for 8 games and was a genius for the other 8 to an OC who eats paste every game. The pointless bubble screen to Hines has been replaced with a pointless dive up the middle.

The fact that the team wants to run more isn't necessarily a bad thing. It makes sense to want to control the clock, keep the defense off the field, and limit the beating BRoeth will take. It's a noble plan. The problem is they're terrible at running the football. This leads to lots of 3rd and longs and the line collapsing and BRoeth getting killed. They've drafted linemen who were highly regarded coming out of college. Either they're just horribly unlucky with drafting sure fire linemen or the offensive coaching staff needs dumped into a river.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:20 am

I don't know that Art is all that more involved. The biggest one was BA, but let's not pretend like the majority of fans didn't want him gone at that point. The offense was stagnating under him as well. The hire of Haley seems more Art's work, because of the Pittsburgh connection and his dad's work in the 70s dynasty.

The Dwyer thing is Colbert. I don't think Art is so involved in the day to day personnel aspect of individual players that he would be able to reach a conclusion that Dwyer needed to mature.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am

Crankshaft wrote:I feel like Mike Tomlin would be much better off if Art II wasn't involved so much and if Dick LeBeau would finally retire. Both are ties to old "Steeler" football. It's 2013. Get with the times.

The defense is not the problem. I don't really have much of an issue with LeBeau. Now if Worilds is still doing his invisible man routine while Jones is on the bench 80% of the snaps, I will change my mind.

Yes, more pressure and turnovers are necessary to move from good to great.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:26 am

slappybrown wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:I feel like Mike Tomlin would be much better off if Art II wasn't involved so much and if Dick LeBeau would finally retire. Both are ties to old "Steeler" football. It's 2013. Get with the times.

The defense is not the problem. I don't really have much of an issue with LeBeau. Now if Worilds is still doing his invisible man routine while Jones is on the bench 80% of the snaps, I will change my mind.

My issue with Lebeau isn't so much that the defense is the problem, but more so that you know that once he's gone, you're going to be switching to the 4-3 more than likely. That's Tomlin's background. I feel like Lebeau is just prolonging the eventual change.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am

Crankshaft wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

My issue with Lebeau isn't so much that the defense is the problem, but more so that you know that once he's gone, you're going to be switching to the 4-3 more than likely. That's Tomlin's background. I feel like Lebeau is just prolonging the eventual change.

Keith Butler is the designated successor, and he's passed up other potential DC positions to wait for the Steelers DC job. He's been here for 10 years as LB coach running a 3-4 the whole time. I'd be surprised if they'd move to a 4-3 if/when he gets the job. It also wouldn't make sense to draft Jarvis Jones in the first round, because he can't play anywhere other than outside in a 3-4 scheme. He's too light to play DE in the NFL in a 4-3, and his talents are wasted as an OLB in a 4-3.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 am

slappybrown wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Keith Butler is the designated successor, and he's passed up other potential DC positions to wait for the Steelers DC job. He's been here for 10 years as LB coach running a 3-4 the whole time. I'd be surprised if they'd move to a 4-3 if/when he gets the job. It also wouldn't make sense to draft Jarvis Jones in the first round, because he can't play anywhere other than outside in a 3-4 scheme. He's too light to play DE in the NFL in a 4-3, and his talents are wasted as an OLB in a 4-3.

I forgot about Butler. Good point.

Then, I'm concerned that if they're going to continue with the 3-4, why they haven't invested in a DT with a higher pick yet.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 am

See Hood & Heyward
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:33 am

viva la ben wrote:See Hood & Heyward

They're both defensive ends. You need a big ugly in the middle to take up 2 people to make the 3-4 most effective.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:37 am

I don't know, I thought McClendon looked pretty good yesterday.

Once they get Worilds out of there -- I'll estimate Week 4 -- this defense will start to get pressure and turnovers again to go along with the continued solid play in terms of yards/pts allowed. Given the current state of the offense, the only way this doesn't turn into a complete failure is if the defense puts up 40 plus sacks and turns the turnover margin heavily in our favor.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:40 am

The players who played well: Ben, McClendon, Heyward, Jones and Troy.

Everyone else was either awful or invisible.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR