Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:49 pm

I thought NAN had that job.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Some how Chicago is only favored by 2.5. I'll take that action!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 pm

I am a huge Miller fan... I just hope they aren't rushing him back in some misguided attempt at "saving the season".
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:When asked for a prediction for Sunday's game, Bob Pompeani said on Vinnie and Cook that there is no way he sees this Steelers team going 0 and 3.

Bob Pompeani has not watched the Steelers play this season.

I just find it funny that people in the media are still thinking like this. "They can't possibly go 0-3!!! They're the Stillers!!!"

Seriously... this was the only thing people were saying before the season. At least the people who thought they would do well. It was all based on they're the Steelers and they will always find a way to win. I have people at work who still think like this. They walk in every Monday in amazement.

Anyone with an objective view point saw this season coming.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:33 am

Bioshock wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:When asked for a prediction for Sunday's game, Bob Pompeani said on Vinnie and Cook that there is no way he sees this Steelers team going 0 and 3.

Bob Pompeani has not watched the Steelers play this season.

I just find it funny that people in the media are still thinking like this. "They can't possibly go 0-3!!! They're the Stillers!!!"

Seriously... this was the only thing people were saying before the season. At least the people who thought they would do well. It was all based on they're the Steelers and they will always find a way to win. I have people at work who still think like this. They walk in every Monday in amazement.

Anyone with an objective view point saw this season coming.

It truly is crazy to me. Its like they are all afraid of having a negative opinion of the Steelers. I currently have a bet with a co-worker that the Penguins will get their first win before the Steelers. I don't like to see the Steelers suck and its certainly not something I root for, I just feel like a complete disaster of a season is the only way management and coaching is going to take a step back and try to correct the problems that exist and will continue to exist in future seasons. Another mediocre season makes it easy for them to say that they are right, but a few mistakes here and there is what was the difference between a winning and losing season. They need to be put into a position where they say "What the hell are we doing wrong?"
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 am

To be fair, it has looked like the Steelers would fall off before. It is probably thought to be better to be the guy who thinks they're going to be good when they end up being bad than being the guy who lost faith in them...or something stupid like that. I thought they'd win week 1 personally, but I think I had them at 5-11.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am

the odd thing about the whole "oh, the stillers will go 9-7 because they are the stillers and they always figure it out" crowd is that they seem to forget the multiple losing seasons that this team has gone through in the past 20 years or so. they arent indistructible.

btw, whoever is making the draft choices is the person that should be fired.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:btw, whoever is making the draft choices is the person that should be fired.

As well as deciding Larry Foote and previsously James Farrior and Casey Hampton should have been go to guys at that stage in their careers.

Speaking of retreads, what's Willie Parker up to these days?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 am

It seemed pretty simple to me in the offseason and it still seems pretty simple. The Steelers were 8-8 last year, got worse in the offseason, and didn't have an amazing draft. I don't know where people were coming up with 10-6 or 11-5.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 am

DelPen wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:btw, whoever is making the draft choices is the person that should be fired.

As well as deciding Larry Foote and previsously James Farrior and Casey Hampton should have been go to guys at that stage in their careers.

I think I read in the pre-season that he was in Steelers' training camp this year, interning as a coach.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:the odd thing about the whole "oh, the stillers will go 9-7 because they are the stillers and they always figure it out" crowd is that they seem to forget the multiple losing seasons that this team has gone through in the past 20 years or so. they arent indistructible.

btw, whoever is making the draft choices is the person that should be fired.

The best thing for them to do is to crater out at like 4-12 or 5-11, because then there is no question they are full rebuild mode. Cowher had three straight non-playoff seasons in the late 90s/2000, and then turned into multiple AFC CG appearances and a Super Bowl. I'm comfortable again leaving this in Colbert's hands to rebuild (he was hired in 2000), notwithstanding the fact that he's been underwhelming. I think he's earned that.

/s/ Craig Patrick Fan Club
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 am

Idoit40fans wrote:To be fair, it has looked like the Steelers would fall off before. It is probably thought to be better to be the guy who thinks they're going to be good when they end up being bad than being the guy who lost faith in them...or something stupid like that. I thought they'd win week 1 personally, but I think I had them at 5-11.

I thought they would win week one as well and would probably start the season 2-2. But now that I've seen what they're working with, I think they need a season that gives them a high draft pick and forces some sort of philosophical change. I feel like this is similar to the 3 consecutive non-playoff seasons (two losing seasons followed by a 9-7) the Steelers endured with Cowher. Those three seasons got the Steelers Troy Edwards (ugh), Plex, Casey Hampton, and another losing season two years later got them Ben. Edwards sucked, but Plex and Hampton played important roles in the Steelers success moving forward.

The drafting has sucked recently, but to me Jarvis Jones looks like a disruptive force that you can build a defense around. However the rest of this season plays out (won't be pretty), the Steelers absolutely need a successful draft with an impact player or else you can kiss the rest of Ben's career goodbye, which opens up a completely different roster problem.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am

slappybrown wrote:/s/ Craig Patrick Fan Club

so what slappy is saying is sign ziggy palfy
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?T ... &Year=2014

If they do wind up with 6-10 or worse, who is gone next year?

I am guessing Troy (8 million in savings with only 2mm in dead money) and Gradkowksi (1.2mm in savings vs. 500K in dead money), William Gay (1mm in savings). That clears 10mm or so. Ike maybe too? Both he and Troy are in the last year of their contract in 2014, and can't imagine either getting another deal unless they take steep cuts.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 am

DelPen wrote:

Larry Foote's existence drives me crazy. The media in this town loves him and speaks of his talent in such high regard. He was a decent MLB his first go-round here, but since he's come back he's a washed up joke who racks up tackles 10 yards down field because other teams constantly run at him. Half of Timmons' tackles last season were a result of running after the guys Foote missed.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:06 am

slappybrown wrote:http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Steelers&Year=2014

I am guessing Troy (8 million in savings with only 2mm in dead money) and Gradkowksi (1.2mm in savings vs. 500K in dead money), William Gay (1mm in savings). That clears 10mm or so. Ike maybe too? Both he and Troy are in the last year of their contract in 2014, and can't imagine either getting another deal unless they take steep cuts.

Unless Troy retires, I do not see him going anywhere. Hopefully Landry will make someone like Gradkowski expendable.

Do they re-sign Ryan Clark after this year? I don't think so.

They should blow it up.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:06 am

Holy crap. Never realized how amazingly overpaid Woodley is.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:

Holy crap. Never realized how amazingly overpaid Woodley is.

I'd cut him, but the problem is he doesn't save you any money (you actually lose another 500k in addition to 14mm in dead money). The team is already going to be pushing the cap, if they cut Woodley, they would have to decimate the roster completely and we'd be looking at a truly putrid 3-13 team for at least a year (similar to what Oakland is doing, they have something like 50mm in dead money against the cap this year and are actually paying out only 70mm or so against the 120mm plus cap). We'd be paying only 90-100mm in real dollars if they cut Woodley, so a lot of minimum or near minimum guys would be out there.

The more I think about it, the more it may be the way to go.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 am

Crankshaft wrote:

Unless Troy retires, I do not see him going anywhere. Hopefully Landry will make someone like Gradkowski expendable.

Do they re-sign Ryan Clark after this year? I don't think so.

They should blow it up.

I wouldn't sign Clark. He's looked particularly bad these first two weeks to my eyes.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 am

Does a complete blowup involve moving on from Roethlisberger?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am

Troy Loney wrote:Does a complete blowup involve moving on from Roethlisberger?

you been towing this line for quite some time now. its starting to look like you were right
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 am

Absolutely not. That's just stupid.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 am

I don't understand what your deal is with him. At worse, would you agree he is in the top half of NFL QBs and will remain so for the next 3 years? Because if so, why would you get rid of him. NFL teams make enormous turnarounds in very short timeframes, but the one position that is impossible to remedy without a high draft pick or hitting the lottery with a Tom Brady is QB. Cutting him would be extremely stupid.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

you been towing this line for quite some time now. its starting to look like you were right

Clairvoyant.

I didn't think they'd be this bad this year...but i didn't see any of the preseason games. I'm amazed at how bad gilbert, adams, and decastro are. And also how pedestrian Hood and Heyward are on the defensive line.

A run of bad drafts like that means a rebuild is needed.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 am

Troy Loney wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

Clairvoyant.

I didn't think they'd be this bad this year...but i didn't see any of the preseason games. I'm amazed at how bad gilbert, adams, and decastro are. And also how pedestrian Hood and Heyward are on the defensive line.

A run of bad drafts like that means a rebuild is needed.

Cutting Roethlisberger will make the offensive and defensive lines better question mark dot wat
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR