Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:24 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Does a complete blowup involve moving on from Roethlisberger?

Absolutely not. That's just stupid.

Why? If you're going to blow it up, you aren't going to be competitive in the next 2 or 3 years. Beyond that, do you think Roethlisberger is going to be standing?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:27 am

slappybrown wrote:

I don't understand what your deal is with him. At worse, would you agree he is in the top half of NFL QBs and will remain so for the next 3 years? Because if so, why would you get rid of him. NFL teams make enormous turnarounds in very short timeframes, but the one position that is impossible to remedy without a high draft pick or hitting the lottery with a Tom Brady is QB. Cutting him would be extremely stupid.

He's a one trick pony. They should trade him to Arizona so he can be with his bff coordinator Arians. If I were in charge I would do that before just ditching Haley, obviously Roethlisberger doesn't fit whatever it is they are trying to do right now.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 am

Troy Loney wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

I don't understand what your deal is with him. At worse, would you agree he is in the top half of NFL QBs and will remain so for the next 3 years? Because if so, why would you get rid of him. NFL teams make enormous turnarounds in very short timeframes, but the one position that is impossible to remedy without a high draft pick or hitting the lottery with a Tom Brady is QB. Cutting him would be extremely stupid.

He's a one trick pony. They should trade him to Arizona so he can be with his bff coordinator Arians. If I were in charge I would do that before just ditching Haley, obviously Roethlisberger doesn't fit whatever it is they are trying to do right now.

What is that one trick? Being one of the top 5 or 6 QBs in the league?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

Ben certainly has his flaws but with a terrible offensive line and virtually no weapons, any QB is gonna look like garbage.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Why? If you're going to blow it up, you aren't going to be competitive in the next 2 or 3 years. Beyond that, do you think Roethlisberger is going to be standing?

Are you suggesting they just outright cut him or trade him? I don't think there are enough draft picks out there to justify eating the dead money that would come from trading him.

Besides, I'm sure he has more than 2-3 years left on him. This team doesn't need a Cleveland Browns-type rebuild.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 am

slappybrown wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

you been towing this line for quite some time now. its starting to look like you were right

Clairvoyant.

I didn't think they'd be this bad this year...but i didn't see any of the preseason games. I'm amazed at how bad gilbert, adams, and decastro are. And also how pedestrian Hood and Heyward are on the defensive line.

A run of bad drafts like that means a rebuild is needed.

Cutting Roethlisberger will make the offensive and defensive lines better question mark dot wat

I didn't say that.

Whatever they're doing on offense is just a complete disaster, it's haley, tomlin, colbert and roethlisberger. by the time the other three problems are solved, you still just have that dumb fatso too stubborn to adjust or develop his game. It's been years since his style succeeded.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Are you suggesting they just outright cut him or trade him? I don't think there are enough draft picks out there to justify eating the dead money that would come from trading him.

Besides, I'm sure he has more than 2-3 years left on him. This team doesn't need a Cleveland Browns-type rebuild.

I'm not suggesting anything, because I don't care. I have friends that like the Steelers, so I like them to do well, but I also thoroughly enjoy this place when they lose, so thats fine. If they're going for a rebuild, I don't see a reason not to trade him. A rebuild means that you're never winning another Super Bowl with him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 am

Just out of curiosity, what should Ben do to adjust to screen passes that everyone sees a mile away? Not throw the screen and get tackled?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 am

Troy Loney wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

you been towing this line for quite some time now. its starting to look like you were right

Clairvoyant.

I didn't think they'd be this bad this year...but i didn't see any of the preseason games. I'm amazed at how bad gilbert, adams, and decastro are. And also how pedestrian Hood and Heyward are on the defensive line.

A run of bad drafts like that means a rebuild is needed.

Cutting Roethlisberger will make the offensive and defensive lines better question mark dot wat

I didn't say that.

Whatever they're doing on offense is just a complete disaster, it's haley, tomlin, colbert and roethlisberger. by the time the other three problems are solved, you still just have that dumb fatso too stubborn to adjust or develop his game. It's been years since his style succeeded.

They went 12-4 in 2011 and his passer rating was 90.1 They went 8-8 last year, and his passer rating was 97, 7th in the NFL, with a 29th ranked rushing offense. What on earth are you talking about?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:36 am

Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:39 am

I feel like the Steelers' could do the most help by shaking up the front office.

I'm a fan of Tomlin. Although, I think he's been hamstrung by "the Steeler" way. It's time for the Rooneys to take a step back and take a less vocal approach to the team.

It's time for Kevin Colbert to go. Same with Todd Haley. Haley was a dumb hire to begin with.

Right now, it seems like they have two organizational philosophies. Until that gets sorted out, anything that happens on the field will be moot.

There is a solid core of young players, however, they just need two or three young play makers to get this thing going. A solid left tackle. Another WR. A stout defensive lineman. Some more depth in the secondary. (Still can't believe they let Keenan Lewis go to the Saints). This team will be on it's way to at least competing in the AFC.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:43 am

Crankshaft wrote:I feel like the Steelers' could do the most help by shaking up the front office.

I'm a fan of Tomlin. Although, I think he's been hamstrung by "the Steeler" way. It's time for the Rooneys to take a step back and take a less vocal approach to the team.

It's time for Kevin Colbert to go. Same with Todd Haley. Haley was a dumb hire to begin with.

Right now, it seems like they have two organizational philosophies. Until that gets sorted out, anything that happens on the field will be moot.

There is a solid core of young players, however, they just need two or three young play makers to get this thing going. A solid left tackle. Another WR. A stout defensive lineman. Some more depth in the secondary. (Still can't believe they let Keenan Lewis go to the Saints). This team will be on it's way to at least competing in the AFC.

Despite the continued statistical success of the defense the past couple seasons, I wouldn't mind seeing Lebeau hang up his playbook.

Edit: Regarding Lewis, the dude went home. Don't think any amount of money from the Steelers would have kept him here.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:44 am

Crankshaft wrote:There is a solid core of young players

there really isnt.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:44 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:I feel like the Steelers' could do the most help by shaking up the front office.

Despite the continued statistical success of the defense the past couple seasons, I wouldn't mind seeing Lebeau hang up his playbook.

I think this is his last year to be honest.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am

Yeah, I know a few people have been grinding the Roethlisberger axe for years, but I don't get it. He is far from the biggest problem facing this team right now.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am

slappybrown wrote:They went 12-4 in 2011 and his passer rating was 90.1 They went 8-8 last year, and his passer rating was 97, 7th in the NFL, with a 29th ranked rushing offense. What on earth are you talking about?

Injuries and age. I don't think he looked good after the Giants game last year. 2013 looks like a lost year, do you really want to ride this guy into his mid 30's in the slim chance they could get one more chance with him as QB. I don't like his style and don't think it's conducive to the way the game is played now. That's an opinion, but I don't think it's an opinion that there are too many barriers in this organization to make another superbowl run during Roethlisberger's career. I would prefer looking long term, personal preference.

You shouldn't get so aggravated with someone holding that opinion.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 am

Crankshaft wrote:There is a solid core of young players, however, they just need two or three young play makers to get this thing going. A solid left tackle. Another WR. A stout defensive lineman. Some more depth in the secondary. (Still can't believe they let Keenan Lewis go to the Saints). This team will be on it's way to at least competing in the AFC.

That describes about half of the teams in the NFL. The other half already have those pieces or absolutely suck.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am

Troy Loney wrote:
slappybrown wrote:They went 12-4 in 2011 and his passer rating was 90.1 They went 8-8 last year, and his passer rating was 97, 7th in the NFL, with a 29th ranked rushing offense. What on earth are you talking about?

Injuries and age. I don't think he looked good after the Giants game last year. 2013 looks like a lost year, do you really want to ride this guy till he's 36 in the slim chance they could get one more chance with him as QB. I don't like his style and don't think it's conducive to the way the game is played now. That's an opinion, but I don't think it's an opinion that there are too many barriers in this organization to make another superbowl run during Roethlisberger's career. I would prefer looking long term, personal preference.

You shouldn't get so aggravated with someone holding that opinion.

Well, at least you explained it this time.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 am

If Ben is a problem, it isn't his playing. I doubt many guys on the team like him. He doesn't seem to be a remotely nice guy - he seems like the exact opposite, a total jerk.

They hire a new offensive coordinator and he whines about it. He's the most visible and probably most talented member of the team. As QB he is the default leader. You can't have him questioning things in the media. That sets the tone. Woodley whining about playing time, Wallace whining about money, Brown whining about targets, Ben whining about what plays are called. Their goal isn't to win a Super Bowl, its to stroke their own egos.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 am

They're not a very likeable team.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:40 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:If Ben is a problem, it isn't his playing. I doubt many guys on the team like him. He doesn't seem to be a remotely nice guy - he seems like the exact opposite, a total jerk.

They hire a new offensive coordinator and he whines about it. He's the most visible and probably most talented member of the team. As QB he is the default leader. You can't have him questioning things in the media. That sets the tone. Woodley whining about playing time, Wallace whining about money, Brown whining about targets, Ben whining about what plays are called. Their goal isn't to win a Super Bowl, its to stroke their own egos.

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

The Superbowl XL team especially all played for someone else, not just themselves - their teammates, their veterans, their coaches, and probably the fans a little bit. They didn't want to be the guy who blew the tackle or lost the fumble because of what it meant for other people. And Joey Porter would've probably sent his dogs to eat them if they did.

That's a really important part of any kind of team. It's why the Penguin teams of 06-07, 07-08, and 08-09 were so much fun for me to watch. I'm not saying I dislike the Penguins team now, but those three season had a really good personality to them. Kind of like this year's Pirates.

The Steelers aren't at all likeable for a fan right now, that's a good observation. Who can root for guys like Ben and Pouncey?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:If Ben is a problem, it isn't his playing. I doubt many guys on the team like him. He doesn't seem to be a remotely nice guy - he seems like the exact opposite, a total jerk.

I don't even disagree with this in the general sense, but there's a difference between criticizing him for being a jerk and saying he's not good or that his "style" hasn't been successful in "years." There were always rumors that he was very disliked when he took over the starting job and that he had only one or two friends on the team back in the Seattle Super Bowl era. His whining to the media or telling stories out of school (the imaginary broken toes that Cowher openly denied after the 2004 AFCCG) is no different now than it was then. So why did they win when he was an ass from 2004-2011, but all of sudden, his being an ass is the reason to get rid of him?

The difference is that the talent on the team isn't as good as it used to be. The RBs suck (at least at the moment). The O-line is a sieve. The WRs can't open and we're running a Cotchery-based offense. Haley can't call another WR screen on 3rd and 11 soon enough. Tomlin's empty cliche machine is already overloaded. The defense has one sack in two games. Simple as that.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm

That's some serious axe grinding
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:18 pm

No matter what you think of his standing within the league, Roethlisberger is a 31 year old franchise QB. You don't trade away those types of players because the rest of your team sucks, unless you have another franchise QB waiting.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR