Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:59 am

We're not really sure what the vets came up with as they didn't discuss the results of their meeting with the media. The "Ping-pong" ban was discovered as a result of the appearance of signs in the lockeroom.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 am

Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Steelers&Year=2014

If they do wind up with 6-10 or worse, who is gone next year?

I am guessing Troy (8 million in savings with only 2mm in dead money) and Gradkowksi (1.2mm in savings vs. 500K in dead money), William Gay (1mm in savings). That clears 10mm or so. Ike maybe too? Both he and Troy are in the last year of their contract in 2014, and can't imagine either getting another deal unless they take steep cuts.

Troy and Ike will either get contract extensions or get cut. If they get an extension that would lower their cap # as well by spreading out the signing bonus over the length of the contract. BRoeth will likely get extended as well, which will break the hearts of people who think that dumping a franchise QB without a replacement on hand is somehow a good move for the future.

On Troy and Ike, I don't know that I want to do it for what I anticipate the cost being. Especially Troy, only because of his style of play and injury issues.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:We're not really sure what the vets came up with as they didn't discuss the results of their meeting with the media. The "Ping-pong" ban was discovered as a result of the appearance of signs in the lockeroom.

And those signs were signed "Signed by the Steelers veterans".
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am

canaan wrote:If we play the speculation game, who are the veterans trying to call out without calling out?

Heyward, Adams, DeCastro a start to the list? Cant blame Wheaton for this show because they dont give him any snaps.

I don't understand what's up with DeCastro. He was the most highly-graded guard in years, and his most notable contribution is wrecking Pouncey's season.

Wheaton was kind of bad in the latter part of the pre-season, but what the hell, might as well play him over Cotchery who is apparently Haley's preferred WR.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:05 am

slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:

I am guessing Troy (8 million in savings with only 2mm in dead money) and Gradkowksi (1.2mm in savings vs. 500K in dead money), William Gay (1mm in savings). That clears 10mm or so. Ike maybe too? Both he and Troy are in the last year of their contract in 2014, and can't imagine either getting another deal unless they take steep cuts.

Troy and Ike will either get contract extensions or get cut. If they get an extension that would lower their cap # as well by spreading out the signing bonus over the length of the contract. BRoeth will likely get extended as well, which will break the hearts of people who think that dumping a franchise QB without a replacement on hand is somehow a good move for the future.

On Troy and Ike, I don't know that I want to do it for what I anticipate the cost being. Especially Troy, only because of his style of play and injury issues.

If he plays well this year and stays healthy you have to resign him. If he misses time then you walk away. The defense is built around him and we've seen how things get when he's not in the lineup.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:08 am

Code: Select all
26  Bell, Le'Veon  RB 6-1 244 21 R  Michigan State
57  Garvin, Terence   LB 6-3 221 22 R  West Virginia
95  Jones, Jarvis  LB 6-2 245 23 R  Georgia
3  Jones, Landry  QB 6-3 221 24 R  Oklahoma
29  Thomas, Shamarko  S 5-9 217 23 R  Syracuse
11  Wheaton, Markus  WR 5-11 182 22 R  Oregon State
98  Williams, Vince  LB 6-1 250 23 R  Florida State
42  Cromartie-Smith, DaMon  S 6-2 203 26 1  UTEP
92  Fangupo, Hebron  DT 6-0 324 28 1  Brigham Young
39  Green, Isaiah  CB 5-10 180 24 1  Fresno State
14  Moye, Derek  WR 6-5 210 25 1  Penn State
76  Adams, Mike  OT 6-7 323 23 2  Ohio State
68  Beachum, Kelvin  OG 6-3 303 24 2  SMU
41  Blake, Antwon  CB 5-9 198 23 2  Texas-El Paso
66  DeCastro, David  OG 6-5 316 23 2  Stanford
21  Golden, Robert  S 5-11 202 23 2  Arizona
46  Johnson, Will  FB 6-2 238 23 2  West Virginia
81  Paulson, David  TE 6-4 246 24 2  Oregon
28  Allen, Cortez  CB 6-1 196 24 3  The Citadel
31  Brown, Curtis  DB 6-0 185 24 3  Texas
54  Carter, Chris  LB 6-1 248 24 3  Fresno State
77  Gilbert, Marcus  T 6-6 330 25 3  Florida
97  Heyward, Cameron  DE 6-5 288 24 3  Ohio State

That's the list of guys banned from playing the games. Pretty inconsequential list as far as I'm concerned. About 12 of them have actually seen any significant playing time and the only starters are the lineman, Jarvis Jones and oft-injured Allen. Good news is that every god awful running back that has played this season is exempt from the ban. That'll teach those evil young guys who never actually play.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:11 am

Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:

If he plays well this year and stays healthy you have to resign him. If he misses time then you walk away. The defense is built around him and we've seen how things get when he's not in the lineup.

Even if he gets through this season unscathed, it doesn't give me any confidence about what I view inevitably happening in 2014 and 15 and 16. But its an awfully tough call.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:21 am

slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:If he plays well this year and stays healthy you have to resign him. If he misses time then you walk away. The defense is built around him and we've seen how things get when he's not in the lineup.

Even if he gets through this season unscathed, it doesn't give me any confidence about what I view inevitably happening in 2014 and 15 and 16. But its an awfully tough call.

It's similar to the BRoeth issue- if you cut Troy, who replaces him? It's an even bigger problem because you could always draft a QB, but the list of safeties who play like Troy is non-existent.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 am

Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:If he plays well this year and stays healthy you have to resign him. If he misses time then you walk away. The defense is built around him and we've seen how things get when he's not in the lineup.

It's similar to the BRoeth issue- if you cut Troy, who replaces him? It's an even bigger problem because you could always draft a QB, but the list of safeties who play like Troy is non-existent.

Well, the defense ranked #1 statistically in yards and 6th in points against with him missing more than half the year. Obviously, it wasn't anywhere near as explosive because they couldn't generate turnovers or big plays, but the defense was still, at minimum "good." If you put Gradkowski behind this line and with these RBs/WRs, would the Steelers win 4 games?

I love the guy, but we could cope with Troy's loss much easier than we would with inserting a replacement level QB for Ben.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:01 pm

The fact that we're talking about extending a 32-year-old Polamalu as though they have no choice but to do it speaks volumes about how far the franchise has fallen. They used to let guys in that situation go even if it meant watching them have good or very good seasons for other teams because it wasn't worth it to give a long term extension to a player over 30. People complained about how "cheap" the team was, but they won 2 Super Bowls that way.

Of course, they used to draft and develop well enough to have replacements ready for the guys who left, but they don't do that anymore.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Lebeau's defense used to work pretty well without having the most unique safety in the league on the roster. If he can't make it work now without Polamalu, maybe it's time for a new coordinator?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:04 pm

I feel like Troy is above the class of player that someone like Jason Gildon, Joey Porter or James Harrison - the types of guys they let go. How often have they let go of one of the top players at their position? Which, when he's healthy, he is. He may not be Troy from 5 years ago, but he's stop one of the top safeties out there.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I feel like Troy is above the class of player that someone like Jason Gildon, Joey Porter or James Harrison - the types of guys they let go. How often have they let go of one of the top players at their position? Which, when he's healthy, he is. He may not be Troy from 5 years ago, but he's stop one of the top safeties out there.

His ceiling puts him in that class, but I would argue that the questions about his health work against that. They let Woodson go when he was in the same situation (top CB but questionable health after the knee)

Anyway, it's not just Polamalu. Farrior was here too long. Foote, Clark, Ike, Hampton, Keisel, Aaron Smith, all guys who have been there longer than the Steelers would've kept them in the past, and who have no adequate replacements waiting behind them. Aaron Smith still hasn't been replaced, and the jury's still out on McLendon even though he's the best thing they have on the DL (which says something, that an undrafted FA is out playing your two first-round DLinemen).
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Rocco wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Lebeau's defense used to work pretty well without having the most unique safety in the league on the roster. If he can't make it work now without Polamalu, maybe it's time for a new coordinator?

I'm sure they could make it work, but they've spent the last decade tailoring the defense around that guy because they wanted to take advantage of his talents. At some point they'll have to change their defense obviously unless they plan on cloning Troy. It's a matter of when that day arrives.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Tomlin and Colbert have zero control over this team. It's actually stunning.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:36 pm

I've never been able to tell if Tomlin was a good coach or not.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I've never been able to tell if Tomlin was a good coach or not.

I think he's a good coach, but I do agree its tough to really tell. I don't think it has ever been "Tomlin's team". Even from the very start a defensive coordinator and a contrasting defensive scheme have been forced on him and it seems like its just snowballed from there.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I've never been able to tell if Tomlin was a good coach or not.

I think he's a good coach, but I do agree its tough to really tell. I don't think it has ever been "Tomlin's team". Even from the very start a defensive coordinator and a contrasting defensive scheme have been forced on him and it seems like its just snowballed from there.

I don't think that's the case at all. They won a Super Bowl and went to another with that DC. He may be a 4-3 coach, but they had an elite roster that won the Super Bowl two years earlier when he arrived. Transitioning to a 4-3 would have wasted all of that talent. I think he has stated that sticking with the 3-4 was the right thing to do (and two SB appearance bear that out).

This is unquestionably his team at his point.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Defense has been fine even if Tomlin has none of his fingerprints on it.

The offense concerns me a lot. I did not like Arians but Haley is far worse. This team is not making the playoffs while he is still employed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Tomlin also isn't an X and O coach in my mind. He's a motivator, CEO type coach.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Bell practiced for the 2nd day in a row. He may have a chance at playing and getting 4 carries on Sunday before he suffers an injury.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Rocco wrote:Bell practiced for the 2nd day in a row. He may have a chance at playing and getting 4 carries on Sunday before he suffers an injury.

Why they wouldn't wait until after the bye to play him is beyond me, but I suppose they have to believe internally they can still salvage the season.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

I don't think that's the case at all. They won a Super Bowl and went to another with that DC. He may be a 4-3 coach, but they had an elite roster that won the Super Bowl two years earlier when he arrived. Transitioning to a 4-3 would have wasted all of that talent. I think he has stated that sticking with the 3-4 was the right thing to do (and two SB appearance bear that out).

This is unquestionably his team at his point.

Oh, I agree completely. Keeping Lebeau was by far the best move. All I'm saying is that keeping Lebeau was ownership's decision, not Tomlin's. And its not unquestionably Tomlin's team at this point because Todd Haley is Art Rooney II's offensive coordinator.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Rocco wrote:Bell practiced for the 2nd day in a row. He may have a chance at playing and getting 4 carries on Sunday before he suffers an injury.

Why they wouldn't wait until after the bye to play him is beyond me, but I suppose they have to believe internally they can still salvage the season.

I think this is still the plan IMO
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Miller is listed as probable and Bell as questionable.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR