Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:maybe its in another thread but im surprised that yinzers arent more upset about the missed calls on the FG and fake punt


I was listening to talk radio today, those yinzers who believed the refs and Succop are the reason were not in the postseason were out in full force today (even a few yinzers called in saying this was a conspiracy by the NFL and KC to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs because they hate the Steelers). Although to be fair, there were fans calling in that did believe the Steelers starting 0-4 and losing to a slew of bad teams is the reason there not in the postseason. (which is what you should think).
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,506
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?


Because the Steelers have to take care of their own business first and foremost becaause you can control that, but you can't control what other teams and refs in other games do. If the Steelers don't lose to teams that should have no business losing to like Oakland for instance or if Brown just stays inbounds at the end of the Miami game, there in the playoffs. That didn't happen though and the Steelers have nobody to thank for this but themselves.

If you want to criticize the refs for not properly doing their jobs go ahead because they deserve the criticism, but don't blame them or Succop for the loss because it's not Ryan Succop's job to kick a field goal so the Steelers can get into the postseason.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?


Because the Steelers have to take care of their own business first and foremost becaause you can control that, but you can't control what other teams and refs in other games do. If the Steelers don't lose to teams that should have no business losing to like Oakland for instance or if Brown just stays inbounds at the end of the Miami game, there in the playoffs. That didn't happen though and the Steelers have nobody to thank for this but themselves.

If you want to criticize the refs for not properly doing their jobs go ahead because they deserve the criticism, but don't blame them or Succop for the loss because it's not Ryan Succop's job to kick a field goal so the Steelers can get into the postseason.


I see what you're saying, but I think you're wrong.

The reality is, if the refs make the objective call and Succop makes the kick (I know maybe he'd miss), than the Steelers are in the playoffs. Even though the Steelers could have been better during the year, they probably should be going to the playoffs this year, and it's because the refs missed a call which should be an automatic one.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,295
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 pm
Location: Raven/Capital Land

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?


Because the Steelers have to take care of their own business first and foremost becaause you can control that, but you can't control what other teams and refs in other games do. If the Steelers don't lose to teams that should have no business losing to like Oakland for instance or if Brown just stays inbounds at the end of the Miami game, there in the playoffs. That didn't happen though and the Steelers have nobody to thank for this but themselves.

If you want to criticize the refs for not properly doing their jobs go ahead because they deserve the criticism, but don't blame them or Succop for the loss because it's not Ryan Succop's job to kick a field goal so the Steelers can get into the postseason.


It's Ryan Succop's job to make field goals. It's the job of the officials to get calls right. The failings of the Steelers and the failings of other teams are not mutually exclusive.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,506
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:46 pm

The title of this thread should change.

2013-2014

:pop:
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:46 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?


Because the Steelers have to take care of their own business first and foremost becaause you can control that, but you can't control what other teams and refs in other games do. If the Steelers don't lose to teams that should have no business losing to like Oakland for instance or if Brown just stays inbounds at the end of the Miami game, there in the playoffs. That didn't happen though and the Steelers have nobody to thank for this but themselves.

If you want to criticize the refs for not properly doing their jobs go ahead because they deserve the criticism, but don't blame them or Succop for the loss because it's not Ryan Succop's job to kick a field goal so the Steelers can get into the postseason.


I see what you're saying, but I think you're wrong.

The reality is, if the refs make the objective call and Succop makes the kick (I know maybe he'd miss), than the Steelers are in the playoffs. Even though the Steelers could have been better during the year, they probably should be going to the playoffs this year, and it's because the refs missed a call which should be an automatic one.


No i'm not wrong and the reality is if the Steelers didn't start the season 0-4 and played constantly throughout the season they would be in the playoffs. The blame should lie with the Steelers and no one else for a 2nd straight year they missed for their poor preformance in the beginning of the year because you have control over that. When your relying on multiple teams to get you into the postseason and even the refs as well you don't have no control over that and as a result you can't fault them if the results don't go in your favor because it's not the Chiefs job to win so the Steelers can't slide into the playoffs. They can only worry about themselves and that's how it should be. I'm sorry i'm not going to blame the Chiefs and the refs for us not being in the playoffs when in reality it's the Steelers fault and no one else

Instead of making excuses for why the Steelers didn't make the playoffs (i.e blaming the kicker and refs), accept that the Steelers didn't make the playoffs because they just weren't good enough and made too many mistakes in the start. If they were consistent enough they would be in the postseason and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That's the reality of all this.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Is Todd Haley still viewed as the problem? Once they finally solidified a starting group for the offensive line and Bell came back from injury to take over the RB job (from the worst RB tandem in recent memory) the offense was very competent.

Except when they got to beat up on the Browns, the defense was atrocious. Due to either salary or age (or both), they'd be better off moving on from Polamalu, Taylor, Woodley, Keisel & Clark. I don't know if Taylor or Polamalu are the type of players that could come back and help in reduced roles, so I say just go younger on D.

They said during the last Cincy game that the Steelers gave up something like 11 plays of over 50 yards this year. Take those 11 plays out, and they were a top 5 defense in every measure, even including the debacle that was the Pats game. Of course, that's a hypothetical..... those plays did actually happen. But I don't think the defense was as bad as it seemed at times.

And as regards the offense, the team really started to come to life when they began running more of the no-huddle.... meaning Haley was effectively not part of the game. He's still a problem, because he can't game plan or play call. But his offensive scheme is fairly sound. Just leave it to BRoeth to sort it out on the field.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Rocco wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?


Because the Steelers have to take care of their own business first and foremost becaause you can control that, but you can't control what other teams and refs in other games do. If the Steelers don't lose to teams that should have no business losing to like Oakland for instance or if Brown just stays inbounds at the end of the Miami game, there in the playoffs. That didn't happen though and the Steelers have nobody to thank for this but themselves.

If you want to criticize the refs for not properly doing their jobs go ahead because they deserve the criticism, but don't blame them or Succop for the loss because it's not Ryan Succop's job to kick a field goal so the Steelers can get into the postseason.


It's Ryan Succop's job to make field goals. It's the job of the officials to get calls right. The failings of the Steelers and the failings of other teams are not mutually exclusive.


Your right about that, but it's also the job of the Steelers to not start 0-4 and lose to a slew of bad teams (including a Raider team that only won four games this season). If they took care of business in their own end there in the playoffs and I don't know how you can argue with that. I'm sorry but I will not make excuses for this team. There not in the postseason because of themselves and themselves only for their inconsistent play, not because of a team and refs in another game not having to do with the Steelers didn't do their jobs right.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Fast B on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:in reality it's the Steelers fault and no one else


Except that in reality that is patently untrue, as Rocco described. Yes, the Steelers should bear the vast majority of the responsibility and shouldn't have been in this position to begin with, but at the same time this particular blown call had a clear and direct impact on their playoff chances.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,843
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?


Because the Steelers have to take care of their own business first and foremost becaause you can control that, but you can't control what other teams and refs in other games do. If the Steelers don't lose to teams that should have no business losing to like Oakland for instance or if Brown just stays inbounds at the end of the Miami game, there in the playoffs. That didn't happen though and the Steelers have nobody to thank for this but themselves.

If you want to criticize the refs for not properly doing their jobs go ahead because they deserve the criticism, but don't blame them or Succop for the loss because it's not Ryan Succop's job to kick a field goal so the Steelers can get into the postseason.


It's Ryan Succop's job to make field goals. It's the job of the officials to get calls right. The failings of the Steelers and the failings of other teams are not mutually exclusive.


Your right about that, but it's also the job of the Steelers to not start 0-4 and lose to a slew of bad teams (including a Raider team that only won four games this season). If they took care of business in their own end there in the playoffs and I don't know how you can argue with that. I'm sorry but I will not make excuses for this team. There not in the postseason because of themselves and themselves only for their inconsistent play, not because of a team and refs in another game not having to do with the Steelers didn't do their jobs right.


If the refs do their jobs right, the Steelers are in the playoffs. Again, both statements are true and accurate. Not everything is a zero-sum game.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,506
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 pm

They're both but-for causes. I don't understand this "take care of business" crap. The Chargers almost lost to the second stringers of a team playing for nothing in a win- or go-home game. They, too, started 0-4. Unless you think the alternative is to give Cinci a bye, I can't see how the refs didn't cause the Steelers to miss the playoffs.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Rocco wrote:It's Ryan Succop's job to make field goals. It's the job of the officials to get calls right. The failings of the Steelers and the failings of other teams are not mutually exclusive.

And it's the Steelers' job to win games against Tennessee, Minnesota and Oakland.

The refs in the SD/KC game blew the call and the KC missed a fairly easy kick. That's not why the Steelers aren't in the Show. Mathematically, sure, that sealed their doom. But it's folly to put any measure of blame on this at the feet of officials and players in a Week 17 game on the other side of the country. (Well, for you. For me, it's just down the coast a bit.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Beveridge on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Let's all just agree that Arizona should be the 6th seed in the AFC.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,287
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
The refs in the SD/KC game blew the call and the KC missed a fairly easy kick. That's not why the Steelers aren't in the Show.


Assuming Succop would make the kick, yes, that is why theyre not in the show. Thats exactly why.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,295
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 pm
Location: Raven/Capital Land

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:00 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:They're both but-for causes. I don't understand this "take care of business" crap. The Chargers almost lost to the second stringers of a team playing for nothing in a win- or go-home game. They, too, started 0-4. Unless you think the alternative is to give Cinci a bye, I can't see how the refs didn't cause the Steelers to miss the playoffs.

Chargers started 2-2.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby skullman80 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:00 pm

You can't rely on other teams to do the work for you, or you leave yourself open to weird crap happening like yesterday. Yes the refs goofed. No one is denying that. That being said if the Steelers beat one of Minneosta, Oakland or Tennesee they control their own destiny and the bad call doesn't even have a chance to hurt them.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,812
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm

The events that led to the Steelers missing the playoffs were collected over a 16 game season, not a few minutes at the end of a game that they did not even participate in.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Grunthy on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I don't think anyone is denying that. People are just saying that refs incompetence was the final nail in the coffin for the Steelers. Something that should never happen.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,743
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Fast B wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:in reality it's the Steelers fault and no one else


Except that in reality that is patently untrue, as Rocco described. Yes, the Steelers should bear the vast majority of the responsibility and shouldn't have been in this position to begin with, but at the same time this particular blown call had a clear and direct impact on their playoff chances.


No, a real poor start damaged their chances of making the playoffs. Losing to Oakland, Tennessee, Minnesota and Miami damaged their chances of making the playoffs. There's a reason why only one team has started the season 0-4 and made the playoffs (1992 SD Chargers) because in a 16 game season there's very little room for error because the season is small game wise.

If the team played consistently throughout the season they would be in the playoffs, if the defense could make plays and knock off all those long plays the opposition created (Terrelle Pryor going 94 yards for a TD for example) and stop the run for a change they would be in the playoffs, if the offensive line would of played the way they did in the end of the season throughout the year they would be in the playoffs.

That's why there not in the playoffs, because they just didn't play well enough to win, not because another team in another game and a ref in another game not associated with the Steelers didn't do their jobs correctly because it's not KC job to win a game so the Steelers could make the postseason. The Steelers made their bed when they went to 0-4 and not they must lie in it.

Now that's not saying the refs shouldn't be criticized for not doing their jobs because they should, but if the Steelers just took care of business in their own end and not having to rely on the results of other games we wouldn't be talking about any of this. I'm sorry I won't make excuses for why this team didn't make the postseason. There out because they just weren't good enough and all of you should just accept that instead of blaming the refs and a team in another game.

That's nice they finished the season 6-2 but by the time they were 0-4 it was too late. Hopefully they can build off this finish because I agree with Rocco when he says there not far off from being competitive again. I like their offense and if they can find a way to fix the defense they'll be back.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby viva la ben on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't even know what is up for debate here, other than people who think they need to be "right"
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,016
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Grunthy on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

You can blame both... I don't know what's worse fan that blames every one else or a fan that only blames the team.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,743
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Fast B wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:in reality it's the Steelers fault and no one else


Except that in reality that is patently untrue, as Rocco described. Yes, the Steelers should bear the vast majority of the responsibility and shouldn't have been in this position to begin with, but at the same time this particular blown call had a clear and direct impact on their playoff chances.


No, a real poor start damaged their chances of making the playoffs. Losing to Oakland, Tennessee, Minnesota and Miami damaged their chances of making the playoffs. There's a reason why only one team has started the season 0-4 and made the playoffs (1992 SD Chargers) because in a 16 game season there's very little room for error because the season is small game wise.

If the team played consistently throughout the season they would be in the playoffs, if the defense could make plays and knock off all those long plays the opposition created (Terrelle Pryor going 94 yards for a TD for example) and stop the run for a change they would be in the playoffs, if the offensive line would of played the way they did in the end of the season throughout the year they would be in the playoffs.

That's why there not in the playoffs, because they just didn't play well enough to win, because they went 8-8, because they lost to too many terrible teams, because they only went 2-3 againist teams with a above .500 record (and one of those games was a Packer team that was without Aaron Rodgers )not because another team in another game and a ref in another game not associated with the Steelers didn't do their jobs correctly because it's not KC job to win a game so the Steelers could make the postseason. The Steelers made their bed when they went to 0-4 and not they must lie in it.

Now that's not saying the refs shouldn't be criticized for not doing their jobs because they should, but if the Steelers just took care of business in their own end and not having to rely on the results of other games we wouldn't be talking about any of this. I'm sorry I won't make excuses for why this team didn't make the postseason. There out because they just weren't good enough and all of you should just accept that instead of blaming the refs and a team in another game.

That's nice they finished the season 6-2 but by the time they were 0-4 it was too late. Hopefully they can build off this finish because I agree with Rocco when he says there not far off from being competitive again. I like their offense and if they can find a way to fix the defense they'll be back.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Geezer on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Rocco wrote:Why can't both be true, meaning the Steelers missed the playoffs because they started the year 0-4 and because the refs suck at their jobs?

Bingo
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,360
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:15 pm

i'd probably say that yesterday was about as fitting an ending possible for the 2013 Steeler season.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,882
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OutofFoil and 5 guests

e-mail