Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings

15th in DVOA, 0.9%. Basically an average team.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,838
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Geezer on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I optimisticly Predicted a 12-4 or 11-5 season. I did stipulate that relied on them weathering the storm for poor OL play until they got their act together. I did not envision them in having a remarkable string of bad luck injury wise. Their weak link ws still their weak link and they were pummeled by injuries in a vulnerable area.
You can't use injuries as an excuse but that was possibly the worst scenario for the black and gold. Not having even 1 decent TE was a close 2nd. Miller recovering. Spaeth lost for most of the season and a surprisingly ok looking David Johnson until he was lost again left them with a black hole at TE.
Overall the offense got their stuff together. I would keep the offense together including the hated Haley because they showed improvement and promise. The eventual use of the no-huddle showed Ben is a top QB in the league. Haley's goal of protecting Ben shows promise. Future success relies much more in improving a less than competitive defense.
My concern with LeBeau isn't the Xs and Os as with the fact that you can't use a defense that takes guys 3-5 years to learn. Worilds and Keenan Lewis proves. They need many changes and correct cap decisions to remove overpaid deadwood to get the D where they need to be.
They have some OL pieces but need to careful guesses to clean up this crew. Velasco was a lucky pickup but may have played himself out of affordability. Wallace looked good at center but he's also a FA. Is Pouncy worth mega bucks? Adams could be a helluva RT since he's consistently beat out Gilbert in direct competition. Is Beachum a competent LT though undersized? Gilbert is a lazy bum while Foster is a hard working bum. They have work to do.
My hope they're gone list: Woodley despite how much dead cap. Clark, Hood, Gilbert(unless BU) Foster, Sanders, Foote. Foote stinks, has
stunk for years and isn't worth the minimum.
Ike , Troy need cuts to stay. Radio talk today was Ike becoming a safety which is fine accompanied by a 1 year extension with a large pay cut.
Their first rounder should definitely be a CB. Second round safety
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,361
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby slappybrown on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Geezer wrote:I optimisticly Predicted a 12-4 or 11-5 season. I did stipulate that relied on them weathering the storm for poor OL play until they got their act together. I did not envision them in having a remarkable string of bad luck injury wise. Their weak link ws still their weak link and they were pummeled by injuries in a vulnerable area.
You can't use injuries as an excuse but that was possibly the worst scenario for the black and gold. Not having even 1 decent TE was a close 2nd. Miller recovering. Spaeth lost for most of the season and a surprisingly ok looking David Johnson until he was lost again left them with a black hole at TE.
Overall the offense got their stuff together. I would keep the offense together including the hated Haley because they showed improvement and promise. The eventual use of the no-huddle showed Ben is a top QB in the league. Haley's goal of protecting Ben shows promise. Future success relies much more in improving a less than competitive defense.
My concern with LeBeau isn't the Xs and Os as with the fact that you can't use a defense that takes guys 3-5 years to learn. Worilds and Keenan Lewis proves. They need many changes and correct cap decisions to remove overpaid deadwood to get the D where they need to be.
They have some OL pieces but need to careful guesses to clean up this crew. Velasco was a lucky pickup but may have played himself out of affordability. Wallace looked good at center but he's also a FA. Is Pouncy worth mega bucks? Adams could be a helluva RT since he's consistently beat out Gilbert in direct competition. Is Beachum a competent LT though undersized? Gilbert is a lazy bum while Foster is a hard working bum. They have work to do.
My hope they're gone list: Woodley despite how much dead cap. Clark, Hood, Gilbert(unless BU) Foster, Sanders, Foote. Foote stinks, has
stunk for years and isn't worth the minimum.
Ike , Troy need cuts to stay. Radio talk today was Ike becoming a safety which is fine accompanied by a 1 year extension with a large pay cut.
Their first rounder should definitely be a CB. Second round safety

I agree with nearly all of this. Good post.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,243
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes good post. I'm inclined to want a difference maker nose tackle in the first round but stopping the run has become less important than stopping the big plays
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,485
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm not cap wise but if worilds and woodley are kept somehow could woodley ever play DE
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,485
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:17 pm

If Woodley keeps getting fatter, he can play defensive tackle.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Pretty much my thought train lol
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,485
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:33 pm

I'd be open to the idea of Pouncey at guard and Velasco at center if Velasco can be had at a decent price.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,543
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Beechum-Pouncey-Velasco-Decastro-Gilbert

dat interior line
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:Pretty much my thought train lol

Still only becomes a lineman in a 4-3.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,992
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Grunthy on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
LeopardLetang wrote:Pretty much my thought train lol

Still only becomes a lineman in a 4-3.



He is only like 15 lbs lighter than kesiel... :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,767
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 am

Which is why he'd be ok as a 4-3 end.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,992
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Grunthy on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 am

if he gains 10 lbs he could be a 3-4 end too is what I was implying... And I was being facetious...
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,767
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 am

Woodley is fat
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby pittsports87 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:27 am

Blaming the refs is the Steelers way, it can never be the teams fault even when it clearly is.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,399
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:30 am

pittsports87 wrote:Blaming the refs is the Steelers way, it can never be the teams fault even when it clearly is.


I don't think that has been the overwhelming opinion, at all.

Actually, Filliponi took the stance that 8-8 was good enough and they should be in the playoffs because of the refs. When he takes that stance, you know it's not the overwhelming majority.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 am

You dont think Pittsburgh fans think the world is out to get them?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,992
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 am

Sure, there are some whackos out there. But from listening to the radio today, the majority of the people would rather rip on them for losing to the Raiders, Vikings and Dolphins before anything else. Although Ron Cook did rip someone pretty good today for insinuating that the Chiefs hate the Steelers and that KC hates Pittsburgh citing it's the only city that doesn't have a "Stillers" bar.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,820
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Rocco on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:19 am

Every fanbase is convinced the refs only call penalties against them. Even the Patriots, which is hilarious.

If the Steelers win one more game, they're in the playoffs. If Ryan Succop makes a routine FG, the Steelers are in the playoffs. If the refs aren't hilariously inept multiple times against SD, the Steelers are in the playoffs. Those three statements are equally true.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,838
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:09 am

As a Steeler fan, I'm as disappointed as anyone that they didn't make the playoffs.
My personal opinion is that you have to control the things you can control and accept that if you don't, you put your destiny in the hands of fate.

I also find some of the attitudes towards the refs interesting.
As a player, for instance a QB, if you make the right decision 9 times out of ten, you're considerd to be doing a pretty damn good job.
As an official, if you're not absolutely perfect, you stink.

Officials make mistakes, other teams are just as capable of missing FG's as your teams kicker is.
You have to control the things that are within your ability to control, or accept your fate.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:As a Steeler fan, I'm as disappointed as anyone that they didn't make the playoffs.
My personal opinion is that you have to control the things you can control and accept that if you don't, you put your destiny in the hands of fate.


How can you be disappointed? The Steelers did not deserve to be in that position after starting 0-4 and losing to TEN, MIN, OAK, and MIA.

The Chargers at least beat playoff teams: Philly, Indy, KC (twice...granted one was with the practice squad in), Denver (Most Impressive win of the year). They also had some bad losses (Houston and Washington).

The Steelers beat the following playoff teams: Cincinnati, Green Bay (w/o Rodgers).

The right team made the playoffs, I think beating 5 playoff teams and being 9-7 is respectable and SD could be that team to fear in the playoffs. They should be able to beat Cincy.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,494
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 am

Kovy27 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:As a Steeler fan, I'm as disappointed as anyone that they didn't make the playoffs.
My personal opinion is that you have to control the things you can control and accept that if you don't, you put your destiny in the hands of fate.


How can you be disappointed?


Because I'm disappointed in the entire season (including the events you mention), not just how a single Chiefs-Chargers game played out.
Didn't my second sentence make that clear?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am

Kovy27 wrote:SD could be that team to fear in the playoffs.


:lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,447
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:42 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:SD could be that team to fear in the playoffs.


:lol:


:pop: What if Philip Rivers beats the Ginger, Manning, Brady, and Brees. Does the world end? :scared:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,494
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Official 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:As a Steeler fan, I'm as disappointed as anyone that they didn't make the playoffs.
My personal opinion is that you have to control the things you can control and accept that if you don't, you put your destiny in the hands of fate.


How can you be disappointed?


Because I'm disappointed in the entire season (including the events you mention), not just how a single Chiefs-Chargers game played out.
Didn't my second sentence make that clear?


Maybe I don't get the disappointment. The end of the season was great. Going 6-2 after a horrible start. I think Steeler Nation should thank Ian Rappaport for Ben's resurgence. There is a bunch of positives from a crappy negative season.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,494
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, PghSkins, Rocco, She'sTheFastest and 13 guests

e-mail