2013 US News and World Report College Rankings

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2013 US News and World Report College Rankings

Postby redwill on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:17 pm

count2infinity wrote:
redwill wrote:I got rejected for grad school by #s 30, 39, and 52.

these are undergrad rankings... grad rankings go pretty much subject by subject.

Good point.

Let me re-phrase:

#s 30, 39, and 52 rejected me because I had a subject.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 am

count2infinity wrote:

these are undergrad rankings... grad rankings go pretty much subject by subject.

I think you need to read this : http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2013/09/09/how-us-news-calculated-the-2014-best-colleges-rankings

Unless I missed it, the ranking is not exclusive to any student group, but the categories to derived from their mission as defined by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Undergraduate reputation is a key anchor, but there doesn't seem to be a distinction between graduate and undergraduate programs in the student population data represented in the rankings:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data

Data table lists Pitt with 28k students in Oakland, 11k of which are grad students, and PSU with 54k in University Park, 15k of which are grad students.

To respond to your previous troll... Reading comprehension and quantitative literacy not a factor in the application process at PSU, huh? What DID you spend your money on? :slug:

Pitt87
CGS '05
KGSB '10
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby count2infinity on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 am

lol... slow your roll there. was merely pointing out when you look at graduate schools, you need to look subject by subject, not an overall school ranking such as these. I didn't read the description, just saw the rankings and assumed they were mostly geared toward undergraduate rankings. I wasn't and am not "trolling" anyone.

What did I spend my money on at PSU? Ummmm... nothing. They paid/pay me to go here currently. :pop:

edit: unless of course you were commenting on my "my school was so good it wasn't even listed" joke I made. I graduated from a small state school. It was/is nothing special... that was a joke on me.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 am

I think the real point is that it doesn't really matter past the age of 25.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 am

Pitt87 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

I think you need to read this : http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2013/09/09/how-us-news-calculated-the-2014-best-colleges-rankings

Unless I missed it, the ranking is not exclusive to any student group, but the categories to derived from their mission as defined by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Undergraduate reputation is a key anchor, but there doesn't seem to be a distinction between graduate and undergraduate programs in the student population data represented in the rankings:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data

Data table lists Pitt with 28k students in Oakland, 11k of which are grad students, and PSU with 54k in University Park, 15k of which are grad students.

To respond to your previous troll... Reading comprehension and quantitative literacy not a factor in the application process at PSU, huh? What DID you spend your money on? :slug:

Pitt87
CGS '05
KGSB '10

C2i is a known troll ignore him
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 am

lol, slappy.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:10 am

Pitt87 wrote:Unless I missed it, the ranking is not exclusive to any student group, but the categories to derived from their mission as defined by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Undergraduate reputation is a key anchor, but there doesn't seem to be a distinction between graduate and undergraduate programs in the student population data represented in the rankings:

All this detective work when you could have just used common sense? What was so controversial about his post? Anyone in academia knows that grad programs are ranked by discipline--even US News & World Report. Just because they use the entire population of students in the data (which is probably for oncoming students to gauge the size of the school) does not indicate they factor into any of the 7 indicators directly. Did you even read the article you linked?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am

The University of Richmond was ranked No. 25 on its list of Best National Liberal Arts Colleges and tied for No. 2 on its list of "Up and Comers" — Also, Richmond is No.14 among "Great Schools at Great Prices" — those offering the best balance of academic quality and need-based financial aid.

Boom.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

columbia wrote:I think the real point is that it doesn't really matter past the age of 25.

Not much does.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tomas on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Forget Harvard!

When I browsed my websites today, the banner for this incredible institution showed up:
http://www.unicorncollege.cz/en

Sadly, I don't think the mighty UC are the great dada joke I thought they would be. And they even have the official apparel!
http://www.unicorncollege.cz/zivot-uc/obchudek-uc.html

[And regarding the UG vs raduate rankings - my advice - if you decide to pay attention to it - is to solely focus on the discipline-specific graduate rankings. UG rankings don't mean squat. If your discipline has UG ranking as well - even that's much better than the overall university's USNews assessment.]
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR