Tif's Race Day Shenanigans

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tif's Race Day Shenanigans

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 pm

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Tif's Race Day Shenanigans

Postby Gaucho on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:13 pm

:)
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Very, very cool :thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Needed to use DRS. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby columbia on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Vaguely related: I watched Bullitt (1968) again a few weeks ago; it's an odd film.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 pm

It's also quite awesome.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:48 pm

I also watched "LeMans", which is actually related. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:49 pm

How much HP did those have? Seemed like you were motoring along quite well, but there wasn't much to get a sort of speed reference.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 pm

columbia wrote:I also watched "LeMans", which is actually related. :)

So you made it a Steve McQueen night? Did you top it off with the album of the same name? 8-)
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:21 pm

They're 1.6L Renaults that make about 150 horsepowers. About the same as my Celica, but the car weighs less than half as much so that's >300 bhp/ton. 0-60 in around 4 sec. Not super fast by any means, but when your bum is only 1.5" off the ground it sure feels quicklyish. One thing that was really cool was it had a sequential-shift gearbox instead of an h-pattern. That also meant the car actually doesn't have a 'neutral'; you have to hold the clutch in when you're stopped or else the engine will bog and stall. And it doesn't idle, so you have to maintain about 2000-2500 revs on the throttle to keep the engine lit. Still had to use the clutch, but it was a lot easier matching revs on downchanges when you weren't worried about finding a box full of neutrals. It would always be in gear.... just maybe not the right one. ;)

First time driving a single seater and slicks/wings. You can actually feel the downforce build as you accelerate, which was a little odd. Ordinarily this class is run on the infield circuit at the California Speedway in Fontana, but for some reason yesterday's class was held in the parking lot around a cone track that probably wasn't more than 500 yards long. Four turns (3L, 1R) Top speed into turn 1 probably about 110, highest cornering speed (T4 past the flag stand) probably 85-90. The shortness of the track and the lack of the telemetry data debrief were really my only complaints about the experience. The infield track is probably close to 1.5 miles around with a couple sections that would have gotten up to 120-130 mph.

The video does not even begin to explain how incredibly bumpy it was and how savagely harsh the ride is in a stiffly sprung racing car. It's one thing to intellectually know that going in, but until you actually experience it there's nothing to prepare you for it. My right thigh has a nice bruise on it from banging against the gear lever. I angled my mirrors so I could see the rear wheels and suspension working, but as soon as you start moving the vibration is so bad you can't make anything out in the reflection. I will never chastise a driver again for failing to see someone in their mirrors; the things are useless! Also, there was a slight incline heading up to the first corner, and it began right around the braking point. (Well..... my braking point...) On my second (?) flying lap I hit the brakes right at the same time as the suspension compressed as I hit the incline, the car bottomed out and I swear like half a pint of spinal fluid fired out of my ears. Overshot the corner by like 20 feet.

But yeah, I was really mad at the guy in front of me. He broke the rules about how to let a faster driver by, and as a result he thoroughly screwed my two last laps.

Two biggest areas of improvement; proper braking (I was early in both brake zones), and brake-throttle transition (not exactly Alain Prost here....). But it was far and away the most fun I've ever had doing anything, including the day I did the fighter pilot thing 7-8 years ago. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 pm

It seems that the good folks at the Allen Berg Racing School are monitoring my social network activity..... I got an email this morning offering me the same discounted rate for the Race Adventure program if I want to come out and do it again in a couple weeks.

I'm currently polling Facebook to find cohorts. 8-)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CBear3 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Too far away to join you...
I've done a two? day at Derek Daly's school in Vegas right after he sold it, and a day of Skip Barber (at Road America no less).

The Daly school was awesome, more track time (albeit outside the actual speedway) and with more actual race instruction.
The Skippy single day is just enough to wet the appetite. Although Road America in a light rain was something I'll never forget...neither was spinning out in Hurry Downs because of the idiot in front of me. The best though was when I refired the car, and tried to catch back up to my group. I went flying through the kink flat out, and down the back stretch to Canada Corner. Probably about 130mph. It was about the moment I passed the 400' marker when I realized I had reverted back to my IndyCar2 video game braking points, and that the Skippy had no chance of making it. Slid my way into the gravel trap quite nicely, where Michael Andretti would find himself similarly beached in the rain just months later.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:07 pm

I would love to do something like this.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:07 pm

CBear3 wrote:Slid my way into the gravel trap quite nicely, where Michael Andretti would find himself similarly beached in the rain just months later.

It's all about the company you keep. ;)

Seriously, just for using the words "Hurry Downs", "the Kink" and "Canada Corner" you win my coveted Poster of the Month award. Well done.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Rylan wrote:I would love to do something like this.

Same. Don't have the expendable income for it, though.

And to clarify, Canada Corner is the big long sweeper at RA, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Road America was by far my favorite track in IndyCar2, and I personally rank it up there with places like Spa and the Nürburgring as some of the greatest road courses in the world. I was greatly surprised to recently learn (since I haven't followed Indy Car racing for years) that there hasn't been an open-wheel race there since 2007. That's a crying shame.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:12 pm

IndyCar returning to Elkhart Lake is something that's been discussed a lot in recent years. The combination of the poor economy and IndyCar's even poorer performance within that economy keep putting the kibosh to the idea. Elkhart is only about 50-60 miles from Milwaukee, and there's concern about the area's ability to support two Indycar events. Which was never a problem when Champ Car was around or when IndyCar was the Indy Car World Series (aka CART).

It's a crying shame, because I agree with you Shyster; it's certainly the best road circuit in the U.S. and is one of the best road circuits in the world. And one of the few to have been designed by simply following the natural terrain. If I remember the story correctly, the owner of the land just walked around the property with a surveyor's wheel marking his path as he went. Then they took out the trees and shrubbery, laid concrete and viola!

MRandall25 wrote:
Rylan wrote:I would love to do something like this.

Same. Don't have the expendable income for it, though.

And to clarify, Canada Corner is the big long sweeper at RA, right?

The long sweeper before the Kink is called the Carousel. Canada Corner is the 90-right at the end of the back straight (after the Kink).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Gaucho wrote:It's also quite awesome.

Spoiler:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I love you too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Gaucho wrote:I love you too.

It's a terrific album, but dude... :oops: :wink:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm

By the by, their new album *gasp* is out next week. Just sayin'.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:By the by, their new album *gasp* is out next week. Just sayin'.

Quick! To the Let's Talk about Music thread...

But I also want to tell tifosi that's some very cool stuff. Looks like you had a tremendous experience!

I'm not even a big racing person, although I really enjoyed watching those Monaco Gran Prix races (the Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell ones--they're the only 2 guys whose names I remember) on "Wide World of Sports." Well done! :thumb:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BigMcK on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 pm

I wanted to ask if the need for speed carried forward to the ride home, but it dawned on me that you were off the 10.

stop, go slow, stop, wait, wait longer, even longer...
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CBear3 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Mosport is another place that has always struck me as very much one with nature. I was up there helping wrench and such for an ALMS weekend when we were trying to get STRANA off the ground, and I'd love the chance to go back. Elkhart Lake and there are probably my two favorite road course experiences, the volume of history and how little they've changed is jaw dropping.
Although I haven't made it to Sebring yet, so there's still hope for an equal experience.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:51 pm

BigMcK wrote:I wanted to ask if the need for speed carried forward to the ride home, but it dawned on me that you were off the 10.

stop, go slow, stop, wait, wait longer, even longer...

It's not nearly in the same league, but back in high school I went with a couple of my buddies to a go-kart track for an afternoon of fun. When I went to leave, it was like I had completely forgotten how to drive. Ever seen a movie where someone is trying to turn a big sailing ship, and they're shown just spinning the ship's wheel like the big wheel on the Price is Right? That's what my Jeep felt like after driving carts all afternoon that had steering of maybe 3/4 of a turn lock-to-lock. Fortunately there was light traffic that day, since when I pulled out of the place I went almost straight across the road and ran over a curb.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to NHR