Armstrong Cable Internet

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Armstrong Cable Internet

Postby knives of ice on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:56 am

Could there be a worst cable internet provider than this piece of crap company? If you look at all the providers in the Pittsburgh area - even if you cant actually get their service in the area you live - you pay more for less on armstrong than anyone else i can find. After years of never capping internet usage that suddenly instituted a 150gb cap with zero notice to customers. Well, the only notice is they will notify you when getting close to the max you can use and for every 10gb over the limit it is $10. I'm not even downloading and I'm going over this limit every month. I pay for 15mb down but I rarely if ever get these speeds.

Anyways, i realized today there is finally a choice in Cranberry so I have Consolidated Communcations coming next week. I was paying $60 per month with armstrong for years with no other option getting 15mb down and now a 150gb cap, nothing extra like espn 3, etc. Now i will be getting 20mb down, no limits, and espn 3 for $47 per month. Maybe consolidated will be even worse who knows, but at least on paper it should be so much better.

It is just infuriating the monopoly these cable companies have and they can basically charge whatever they want if you are in an area without competition. :scared:
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Armstrong Cable Internet

Postby RJW76 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:19 am

Looks like you've come full circle with good riddance Armstrong.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 am

I feel you. All I have is Armstrong or Verizon DSL. Armstsrong gets a whopping 1 MBPS down and I pay for 5.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Hmm...I am in Cranberry...I get pretty angry Armstrong is only 10 MB down when most others are higher and if you want to get to 15 it costs $20 more a month! I didn't know Consolidated was an option - is that cable or DSL or what? I am going to look into this for sure, have any helpful info?

Are you keeping armstrong TV or going all Consolidated? Do they service the whole area? I am afraid I am a bit too far outside the main area.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Hmm. I am a little concerned Consolidated's default internet speed is only 3 mb for their package deals. Armstrong's default is 10. I think most other major cable companies are around 15 or so.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:11 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Hmm. I am a little concerned Consolidated's default internet speed is only 3 mb for their package deals. Armstrong's default is 10. I think most other major cable companies are around 15 or so.

this is cable internet not dsl

here is what i pay for armstrong

$60 a month for 15mb down zoom pro - now with a 150gb per month download limit. mind you my speeds are rarely if ever matching 15 down

consolidated communications

$47 a month for 20mb down and unlimited service - with the first two months at around $10 per month. $60 per month from consolidated will get you 30mb down. no cable modem rental fees either.

i have directv got rid of armstrong a long time ago there. i just wasn't aware there was actually finally a choice in cranberry.

i'd be surprised if consolidated isn't considerably faster since the vast majority in cranberry have armstrong. there shouldn't be nearly as many on consolidated's network.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steve784 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I've always wondered how people in Cranberry get stuck with this crap. I know nothing about the cable industry. Is there a reason Comcast isn't available there?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 pm

It's the same way in Connellsville, Scottdale, Mt pleasant area. Only Armstrong. I think franchising rights are what screw us over. Also I pat $40 a month for advertised 5 mb actual around 1. My 4g is faster on my phone than my cable Internet.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 am

Its all a government sanctioned monopoly. Building the infrastructure is really expensive so a local government makes an agreement with a local cable company to 1) allow them to run wires everywhere, and 2) since they spent all that money running wires they won't let anyone else do it to protect their investment.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:21 am

Wow, I didn't know they put a cap. I don't download anything so who knows. My bill hasn't changed. What I hate about Armstrong though is it seems my internet connections gets extremely slow every night. And when I DVR things, there are some glitches, and my phone connection goes out for periods of time (like an hour or so). But I don't really have any other options.

I live in Richland Twnship, so I don't know if I can get Consolidated.

Armstrong has been crap though.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 am

What can one do to protest this? write your local representative? or just suck it up and deal? I have DirecTV but Armstrong internet because, well, I have no other option.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:04 am

move to city and have five options for tv and three for internet 8-)

The government entity involved is most likely your municipality, and if not them probably your county. They'd be the biggest roadblock to building the network and wiring the homes.

But here's the thing - who says another cable company wants to come in and run all those lines along back country roads with no guarantee of return? The infrastructure cost per subscriber is much higher in rural areas because homes are so spread out.

Who is the home phone provider(s) where you are?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 am

Armstrong Cable. I'm in a borough though, homes aren't super spread out. I think rural areas close to me only have Verizon DSL and Satellite TV options.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:33 am

mac5155 wrote:Armstrong Cable. I'm in a borough though, homes aren't super spread out. I think rural areas close to me only have Verizon DSL and Satellite TV options.

That's definitely where the government would throw a wrench into it. For example, Verizon spent time in the mid 2000s updating their phone lines in the city of Pittsburgh to fiber optic. They were doing it where they saw strategic value - areas like Shadyside, Highland Park, and Point Breeze, where they knew they could get a faster return on Fios internet service.

When it came time to ask the city if they could sell tv service over those same lines the city made them promise to offer it everywhere - Homewood, Fairywood, Knoxville, etc - in a specific time frame. If Verizon had their way they probably wouldn't offer service in some of those areas.

So its very possible someone might want to set up the "town" with service, but to do so they'd have to wire up the entire outlying area.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51 am

But, wouldn't the town be able to say "make your service better, or we're kicking you out" and then allow someone like Comcast to come in and take over the existing lines?

I should know all of this being a telecom minor. But i've forgotten it :(
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 pm

knives of ice wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Hmm. I am a little concerned Consolidated's default internet speed is only 3 mb for their package deals. Armstrong's default is 10. I think most other major cable companies are around 15 or so.

this is cable internet not dsl

here is what i pay for armstrong

$60 a month for 15mb down zoom pro - now with a 150gb per month download limit. mind you my speeds are rarely if ever matching 15 down

consolidated communications

$47 a month for 20mb down and unlimited service - with the first two months at around $10 per month. $60 per month from consolidated will get you 30mb down. no cable modem rental fees either.

i have directv got rid of armstrong a long time ago there. i just wasn't aware there was actually finally a choice in cranberry.

i'd be surprised if consolidated isn't considerably faster since the vast majority in cranberry have armstrong. there shouldn't be nearly as many on consolidated's network.

Let us know how the consolidated internet is working out.

Also, do you mind sharing what package you have with directTV? I currently have a nice Armstrong cable TV package that I enjoy, but it is too pricey. Wondering how close I can get to the same package for a cheaper price. I have 2 hd tv receiveres with hd plus channel package, 1 dvr, and maybe a sports package I think. Also, are we talking intro 1 year prices or regular price?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

My price for the first year with the same setup you had was $40 a month (for 10 months), then $50 a month (for 2 months), then $100 a month (for the last 12 months).

I had the Choice Xtra package. You can go on and check out the programming.

I justified it as cheaper through averaging out the monthly price to be $75 a month for the life of the contract. The same Armstrong package would've been a little more, but I got a lot better programming and technology through DirecTV.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:12 pm

I actually wrote the Township leaders for cranberry awhile ago about the ISP issue in Cranberry and he claimed that they have sent out letters to providers asking them and inviting them into Cranberry to provide service. Granted, I'm sure there is some red tape but he claimed they were trying to get more choices. It must have worked to some degree since Consolidated is an option at least for me now - but i live in pretty much the heart of the township right off of Freedom road. Actually, here is a blog right off the Cranberry website about the issue:

http://www.cranberrytownship.org/Blog.aspx?IID=10

It seems like Consolidated has been available for awhile but they have done a horrible job at actually letting residents know they are an option.

Directv - I pay a ton but i choose to because i want all the sports channels possible. This is the thing that is so infuriating about Armstrong is many don't have any choice. How does it make sense regardless of how much you pay per month that every price level also has the same usage level and there are no options to add more usage its just a flat fee of $10 per 10gb? I looked at every provider i can could find in the area and nobody does things like this. it is so so shady - and to have such a huge policy change and never even send letters to customers is ridiculous.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Wait. What? I though Consolidated was DSL?

High-Speed Internet is a technology that provides a dedicated digital circuit between a residence or a business location and Consolidated Communication’s central office. This circuit allows high-speed transport of data over existing copper telephone lines.

What is your upload speed? The only reason I chose Armstrong over Consolidated was because I thought they were still DSL and I needed faster upload speed.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Everything i just read on their website says dsl. They even talk about pros/cons over cable
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Everything i just read on their website says dsl. They even talk about pros/cons over cable
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Right, which is why I'm super confused.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:46 pm

yeah you guys were right it is DSL, the lady i talked to on the phone was clueless. it took a long time for them to install today since they had to run a line and all that probably around 4 hours. that being said, i don't really care if it is DSL or what it is my download speeds are right around 20mb down right now in the peak internet hours and i would never have that with armstrong. the upload does blow as its only a bit over 1mb but the installer said i can call and add something to my account to make it faster. the upload is disappointing for sure but really the only time i care about that is when using my slingbox. i'll call and see how much faster we can make it.

regardless, i'm paying $47 per month for a faster download with unlimited service. if you don't need a fast upload i'm not sure why you wouldn't switch. if everyone was using dsl then i think the download speed would suck but virtually nobody has consolidated in cranberry i expect the speeds to be much improved compared to what i'm used to.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Yea, that's my only problem, Slingbox -

My brother will log into my Dish Hopper box (w/ Sling), so I need to have at least decent upload.

Can you call and find out about the upload boost (whatever that might be)? As a current customer, you'll probably get more info on it than I will.

I called the other day to get basic info and I can't believe they don't have any weekend installs at all. BS.

As far as speed...you'll probably never notice a slowdown, because Cable internet is a shared line while DSL runs on your own dedicated phone line. :thumb:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Bumping an old post here...how is the DSL internet with consolidated? Satisfied?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to NHR