Job and Resume Help/Advice

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Alright so try to keep this short.

I had a job in Baltimore that I really liked and was doing well there (was with the company for almost 4 years). The wife and I are from Central PA and always wanted to move back. So, last summer we decide it was time to move home. My wife came back in May, but I had to stay with my company through August to finish repayment for my grad school. So in September after living apart from my wife for a few months I took the first job I was offered (Altoona isn't exactly a huge tech sector).

So I start work at this new place in October and after working there for a month or so I decide I cant stand it and start looking for a new job. I found another job and started working for them in February.

Other factor of this story is I took about 25k pay cut to move back to Central PA.

I am happy with company #2, but I did not make up any of the money from the pay cut to move back home (I feel I'm worth more than I am currently making).

So I got a call from a local recruiter last week and he says there is a job he is looking for candidate for and it will pay about 15-20k more than my current job.

Should I try for this new job? I know money is not everything but with a baby on the way and just having bought a house the extra money would be really nice. My other dilemma is what work experience should I leave on my resume? I didn't like my "in between" job and was not there long enough to really contribute too much, should I leave this on my resume to show I was still employed, or would it be better to have a gap and hope it is good enough to get the interview and then be able to explain the situation if they ask the question of why I left. I really would like to just leave it off and have some way to convey that I have been continuously employed?

If this helps at all I am a software engineer
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 pm
Location: H-burg

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm

What are the downsides of taking this new job? Commute? Workload, etc?

Are you in Hollidaysburg Pecky?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,575
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Yes I am in Hollidaysburg. I'm not sure about the new job I haven't talked much to the recruiter about it. Just hesitant about skipping jobs so quickly. I also don't really know what to do with my resume in regards to the job I was only at for 3-4 months.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 pm
Location: H-burg

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Azkar on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm

I'd leave your experience on there. It's not uncommon to see contract work for that length of time in our field, but if asked about it I'd be honest and just tell them that you didn't enjoy the work and looked for something new.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll like the new job as much as your current job.

A third option is to simply ask for more money at your current job.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,414
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: PFISEA

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Rylan on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Azkar wrote:I'd leave your experience on there. It's not uncommon to see contract work for that length of time in our field, but if asked about it I'd be honest and just tell them that you didn't enjoy the work and looked for something new.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll like the new job as much as your current job.

A third option is to simply ask for more money at your current job.


I would do the 3rd option with the information of a pay increase for going to this next job.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm leaning towards leaving it on my resume. I do need to go on the interview and find out more before I can even remotely know if it will be better/worse than my current job. and I guess asking for more money is always a worst case scenario.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 pm
Location: H-burg

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Rylan on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 pm

PensHckyFan79 wrote:I'm leaning towards leaving it on my resume. I do need to go on the interview and find out more before I can even remotely know if it will be better/worse than my current job. and I guess asking for more money is always a worst case scenario.


You are happy with your job though. Ask for the raise. If they say no then you move on. If they say yes you have a job you like with a a pay level that potentially is close to what you feel is equal in value.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Skipping jobs quickly only looks bad if there are big gaps between places and exceptionally short employment periods. Like you worked at one place for 9 weeks, then you're unemployed for half a year.... that's no good. But if you're consistently staying employed and you can explain the jumping in a productive way it shouldn't be an issue. Just be up front that the first place wasn't a good fit for your or the company and instead of prolonging that you decided to cut bait and move on. Also, I think the fact that you've just moved back to the area will also help mitigate any negativity with regard to the short tenure; you were new to the job market in Blair County, were still finding your feet, etc.

But the short version is, yes, include the job on the ressie. Just be prepared to answer questions about it.

If you do want to leave it off, this is where being a 'consultant' comes in handy.





Golden Tiger, class of '91
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,435
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Rylan wrote:
Azkar wrote:I'd leave your experience on there. It's not uncommon to see contract work for that length of time in our field, but if asked about it I'd be honest and just tell them that you didn't enjoy the work and looked for something new.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll like the new job as much as your current job.

A third option is to simply ask for more money at your current job.


I would do the 3rd option with the information of a pay increase for going to this next job.

:thumb: Worked for me and got me 15K raise after only 2 months on the job.

Simply tell them you received another offer, but really like where you're at and would like to stay, but are not in a position to turn down a raise like that. They may even meet in the middle and you might be happy with that.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,027
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Gabe on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

From an HR perspective...

Leaving it off creates a gap which is even more suspicious on a resume. Put it on there, be prepared to answer questions about why you left. If brought into an interview, spin it your direction with "I was presented with an opportunity that I just couldn't pass up".
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Jupiter Florida

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby mac5155 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I'd leave it on there. Im always hesitant of recruiters though. I got my first IT job through one and they were just shady. It would be my bad experience skewing my viewpoint, though.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,166
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Asking for more money is tough, but its not like you are in a compensatory position where you would expect to job-hop (sales, consulting, etc.); usually salary for most types of engineers is based on experience, and software is no different. There is a market rate that employers are always trying to get a 'deal' on, and part of that deal is getting good people to stay.

I always appreciate when employees ask for money the right way. Tell them that you took a cut to move home and now would really like to stay, but its only a matter of time before you get recruited out... and if they express any unwillingness to make progress based on your performance, call that recruiter back right away.

Good luck!
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,943
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Pitts wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Azkar wrote:I'd leave your experience on there. It's not uncommon to see contract work for that length of time in our field, but if asked about it I'd be honest and just tell them that you didn't enjoy the work and looked for something new.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll like the new job as much as your current job.

A third option is to simply ask for more money at your current job.


I would do the 3rd option with the information of a pay increase for going to this next job.

:thumb: Worked for me and got me 15K raise after only 2 months on the job.

Simply tell them you received another offer, but really like where you're at and would like to stay, but are not in a position to turn down a raise like that. They may even meet in the middle and you might be happy with that.


I generally caution against positioning your employer against an offer. It makes them think that you are already half out the door, and in some cases is grounds for termination, especially in a production-related job like software engineering. If you have an employment contract, read about non-competition and IP policy, or contact your HR Rep and ask about the policy in a general way... not that I'm looking, but I have a right to know what I signed sort of Q's.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,943
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Honestly, would you care about termination at that point -- he would be going to a better paying job?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,027
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to leave the job on the resume.

As for asking for more money. I want to have another job in my back pocket just in case. But I'm not going to say I have another offer for X more dollars I like it here pay me more, I will just ask for more and give them reasons why I am worth it and go from there.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 pm
Location: H-burg

Re: Job and Resume Help/Advice

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Pitts wrote:Honestly, would you care about termination at that point -- he would be going to a better paying job?


If they can enforce a non-compete, the difference between termination and exiting amicably is significant. Puts that better-paying job in jeopardy.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,943
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackjack68, the wicked child and 7 guests

e-mail