Biker attack

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Biker attack

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Wow, I thought I was thin. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:19 pm

as a fat guy, I don't mind bikers...as long as they don't do stupid things. just like i don't mind people that drive BMWs or Jeeps, just as long as they don't do stupid things.

Spoiler:
I biked to work this morning, btw... :pop:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm

count2infinity wrote:He said deserves to get run over IF they ignore traffic laws like stop signs and lights.

That's so much more acceptable. :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm

well... if they are running a red light in the middle of some high volume traffic, would it really matter if it was a motorcycle, car, bicycle, pedestrian, wouldn't you look and saw, "well...they just had that coming to them."
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Jim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Why would bicyclists be riding on the highway in the first place? Isn't that illegal (unless it's only an Ohio thing that bikers aren't allowed on the highway)?

Generally, unless otherwise posted, only Interstates are "off limits".

Until 1992 it was technically legal to ride through the Liberty Tubes (From what I understand, because it wasn't posted), although it would have been pure suicide to do so.

I have a friend who used to ride from Birdland in Scott Twp to Pitt for classes, he'd race down Rt 19 and head into the tubes at fullspeed (Aprox 25 -30 Mph). I always thought he was completely crazy for doing so.

It took a while but someone finally brought the "I am allowed to" point to the argument. Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.

I don't think that's what I said at all.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:32 pm

count2infinity wrote:well... if they are running a red light in the middle of some high volume traffic, would it really matter if it was a motorcycle, car, bicycle, pedestrian, wouldn't you look and saw, "well...they just had that coming to them."

Have you ever known someone who was paralyzed, or seriously injured, for life because of a traffic accident?

NO ONE DESERVES To spend their lives confined to a wheelchair. Not unless they were purposely trying to injure or hurt someone else and even then I have some compassion (or else I'm just llike them).

I cared for my mother for 24 years (not primary caregiver) before she passed in 2003. Her quality of life was abysmal. It's possible (there were no witnesses) that she may have pulled out in front of an oncomming vehicle turning on to Mt. Royal Blvd from Sample rd. (It's also possible that the owner of the Jeep Wagoneer may have been paying more attention to the plate of spagatti, on her passenger seat, than to the road and veeered off and t-boned my mothers car in the drivers door). Either way, my mother did not deserve to spend her last 24 years in the manner she did and I have nothing but compassion for others in similar situations regardless of the circumstancs that landed them there.

Enuff said
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:37 pm

i don't think bikers deserve to be injured. i think most of them deserve to be run off the road or otherwise inconvenienced and/or humiliated, but much like guys who skate with their head down, they don't "deserve" the physical harm.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm

where did I say someone deserves to spend their lives confined to a wheelchair?!? where? show me. I dare you. For someone that is so keen on not having words put into your mouth, you sure love to do it to other people.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Traffic laws are in place to protect you. Ignore the laws, deal with the consequences of potentially being hurt, paralyzed, or killed.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:42 pm

shmenguin wrote:i think most of them deserve to be run off the road

I think that's considered "Assualt with a deadly weapon"

Yep, it is:

http://laist.com/2013/07/23/man_accused ... bicycl.php
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 pm

count2infinity wrote:Image

where did I say someone deserves to spend their lives confined to a wheelchair?!? where? show me. I dare you. For someone that is so keen on not having words put into your mouth, you sure love to do it to other people.

I go there, old school Jim style... If something happens and they end up in wheelchairs, will they continue to fly around the streets and ignore lights and signs?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:54 pm

meow wrote:Traffic laws are in place to protect you. Ignore the laws, deal with the consequences of potentially being hurt, paralyzed, or killed.

Agreed, but there's a big difference between that and deserving

count2infinity wrote:
Spoiler:

count2infinity wrote:wouldn't you look and saw, "well...they just had that coming to them."

I never said "countytoinfinity said people deserve to be in wheelchairs", did I?

But we aren't talking skinned knees when a 3500 pound vehicle hits a 22 pound bicycle are we?

Have some compassion, no one deserves to be assulted by a driver for a traffic violation. It's called road rage.

So no,

count2infinity wrote:wouldn't you look and saw, "well...they just had that coming to them."

absolutely not.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 pm

You and I are talking apples and oranges here. You're talking about someone purposefully hitting someone because they did something the driver didn't like. I'm talking about an accident that was due one or the other party not following the laws of the road (in this case, I was describing the idiot that decided not to stop at a red light or stop sign.)

The first I find ridiculous, and I'm not even the one advocating that in this thread, if you read properly. The second, whatever they have coming to them, they have coming to them. Sure I'd feel bad for them, but I'm sorry if I'm not shocked if someone runs a redlight and gets hit. surprise, surprise, that traffic sign actually means something.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:07 pm

c2i, don't bother.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I hate people that live in suburbs and drive cars. Whenever I have to go out to a suburban part of area I always find that I have to drive a lot slower than I'd like to because of all the other drivers who drive their cars around. Sometimes they don't obey traffic laws and get in accidents...they have it coming.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I hate people that live in suburbs and drive cars. Whenever I have to go out to a suburban part of area I always find that I have to drive a lot slower than I'd like to because of all the other drivers who drive their cars around. Sometimes they don't obey traffic laws and get in accidents...they have it coming.

Correct. If they break traffic laws and get in an accident...you can kinda see that coming.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:20 pm

There is a stop sign 2 houses down from mine. It is really an anti-speeding stop sign as there is not too much traffic on my street and nearly no traffic on the street that T's into mine. Recently there has been a cop sitting there giving tickets for people that don't stop all the way. Last week I nearly coasted it while he was there. I slammed the breaks and and gave an "oops" wave to the cop. Saturday he pulled someone else over and I was working in my yard. As he is going back to his car he says to me (in a friendly manner), "Almost got you the other day" and I said "You probably should have given me one anyway".
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:24 pm

count2infinity wrote:You and I are talking apples and oranges here. You're talking about someone purposefully hitting someone because they did something the driver didn't like. I'm talking about an accident that was due one or the other party not following the laws of the road (in this case, I was describing the idiot that decided not to stop at a red light or stop sign.)

The first I find ridiculous, and I'm not even the one advocating that in this thread, if you read properly. The second, whatever they have coming to them, they have coming to them. Sure I'd feel bad for them, but I'm sorry if I'm not shocked if someone runs a redlight and gets hit. surprise, surprise, that traffic sign actually means something.

But you were defending Delpen who did say that.

And your quote was:

count2infinity wrote:He said deserves to get run over IF they ignore traffic laws like stop signs and lights.

My response is that NO ONE deserves to get run over for simple traffic law violations, especially not if those violations are from someone on two wheels and is self propelled.

Are they stupid for running that red light or stop sign? Sure. But to be intentionally forced off of the road as some here have indicated, that's assualt with a deadly weapon and I'll repeat "NO ONE DESRVES that"
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:28 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
count2infinity wrote:You and I are talking apples and oranges here. You're talking about someone purposefully hitting someone because they did something the driver didn't like. I'm talking about an accident that was due one or the other party not following the laws of the road (in this case, I was describing the idiot that decided not to stop at a red light or stop sign.)

But you were defending Delpen who did say that.

And your quote was:

My response is that NO ONE deserves to get run over for simple traffic law violations, especially not if those violations are from someone on two wheels and is self propelled.

Are they stupid for running that red light or stop sign? Sure. But to be intentionally forced off of the road as some here have indicated, that's assualt with a deadly weapon and I'll repeat "NO ONE DESRVES that"

Excuse me, when did I say they deserve to be assaulted which requires malice? If some dumbass on bicycle runs through an intersection with a stop sign and gets plastered then they deserved whats coming to them.

Running a red light or a stop sign is not a simple violation. You put yourself and others at risk.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

:face:

You're the type of guy that would win an argument taking the side of 4+3=5 by making the other person just give up. so if that's what you'd like... I give up!

or to quote nan...
newarenanow wrote:c2i, don't bother.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Going back to the OP, has it been ascertained if any of the bikers made 911 calls to sic the policia on the rampaging SUV?
Last edited by tifosi77 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:45 pm

being though of as a nuisance and having pretty much everyone hate you just by looking at you sounds like a really fun hobby. i feel like i'm missing out.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 pm

shmenguin wrote:being though of as a nuisance and having pretty much everyone hate you just by looking at you sounds like a really fun hobby. i feel like i'm missing out.

What makes you think you aren't? :pop:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 pm

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:being though of as a nuisance and having pretty much everyone hate you just by looking at you sounds like a really fun hobby. i feel like i'm missing out.

What makes you think you aren't? :pop:

hey...i'm no nuisance
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:47 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Going back to the OP, has it been ascertained if any of the bikers made 911 calls?

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR