Moving website questions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Moving website questions

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:10 am

I'm in the process of moving my websites to a new host. I started with one of my smaller sites and the process has left me thoroughly confused.

I have the new site set up with the new host. I changed the dns records at GoDaddy on Oct 25. Later that day, the new site was loading when the URL was typed into the browser. I thought everything was done until I checked out my webstats the next day and I saw that the old urls were still getting hits. I checked and indeed, the old site was the one loading. After about 3 days, everything seemed to change and all of the hits were going to the new site. I did a google search on the company name and google had already found the new site (I could tell by the title name) and all the webstats showed the new urls were getting hits. It went on like that all week, until today. I was checking webstats and saw that the old urls were getting hits. I checked and saw the old site is loading again when you type in the url. WTH?

What would be causing the old site to keep popping back up when the DNS records have been changed for so long? It's not a big deal, but I'm holding off on moving my main photography site until I can figure out what's going on.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Moving website questions

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 am

Ok. You're clear but not clear enough...

First... whenever you make a DNS change... it takes roughly 72 hours for changes to take effect and be reflected. (24 hours in many cases for MOST of the internet and bigger ISPs to pick up and reflect new changes) ...knowing that, that's why you were still seeing the old site analytics still counting the next day and why you saw it stop mostly around 3 days.

Secondly... google is pretty darn quick.

This is where it gets sketchy and you still need to provide more info:

- If you manually refresh the website does the new site load? (could it be a caching problem with your browser or even your network's cache)
- Have you performed a WHOIS on your domain to see if the changes are reflected? (http://www.internic.net/whois.html)
- Have you checked the DNS records in your godaddy account since you noticed this problem?
- Have you confirmed this on another computer? In an entirely different location with hopefully a different ISP? With your cellphone even...? How about any out of state friends/family since they are routed differently?

I would suggest RENAMING your index page on your old site to something like index_old or something like that... see if you are actually seeing that change immediately since you should then see some type of 404 if that server is configured properly. At least at that point you could say the DNS needs looked at again. If you don't see the 404 page then I would suspect some sort of page caching locally on your pc, or on your network's servers(not your ISPs network). If it's not that... report back.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am

and you can make that check payable to SoupOrSam. :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:52 am

Tried it on my phone and it works (new site loads). :face: Guess it was just some weird caching issue. Thanks!!!
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:57 am

Glad to hear that sir! :)
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Almost 3 weeks later and I'm still fighting with this issue, lol. I've cleared out the caches on my browsers and cleared the modem cache and sometimes when I type in my website, I still get the old website hosted by hostgator. Today, I started getting 404 errors from hostgator when typing in the url even though the dns has been changed for weeks. This happens on 2 computers, my ipad, my phone and as of this morning, a kindle fire. I'm almost sure this is just something on my home network, but if anyone is bored can you check out my site, http://tonyurbanphotography.com and let me know if you get a site with a black bg, gray bg or a 404 error? Thanks!
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:24 pm

grey bg with a brunette snow bunny on it. I reaaaalllly hope it's not a senior picture :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Have you ever been on my site before, mac? Because that's my old site and shouldn't be coming up. I'm so confused, lol.

And the snow bunny is a model. 18 though so the same age as a lot of my seniors. They didn't look like that when we were in school, did they?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Have you ever been on my site before, mac? Because that's my old site and shouldn't be coming up. I'm so confused, lol.

And the snow bunny is a model. 18 though so the same age as a lot of my seniors. They didn't look like that when we were in school, did they?

When did the whole "senior picture" phenomenon begin? And I'm not talking about school pictures. I'm talking these more "grown up" (trying to avoid the word 'sexualized') model shots? Just curious, really.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Have you ever been on my site before, mac? Because that's my old site and shouldn't be coming up. I'm so confused, lol.

No they did not. And yes I have been on your site before, probably testing out other issues you've had :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm

I graduated in 96 and the outdoor senior pics were just starting to take off. I'd say it became the "norm" in the mid 2000s. I don't really like the "sexy" senior pics, mostly because most girls can't pull it off at all and just look silly. I'd say about 90% of what they buy are the smiling pics but the more dramatic shots are what bring them in the door because they want to look and feel like a model for a day.
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm

mac5155 wrote:

No they did not. And yes I have been on your site before, probably testing out other issues you've had :pop:

Yeah, I seem to constantly have website issues. I shouldn't change it every 6 months, haha.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:34 pm

open command line
ping your url, see if the ip address returned is the new one or old one.

Also - do you have some sub domain and associated DNS record with that? for example you've pointed www, but left the wildcard sub domain unpointed so that if someone goes to www.letsgopens.com they are okay, but if they go to letsgopens.com they go to the old?

Just throwing out something... anything.

pinging www.tonyurbanphotography.com I got 50.87.147.16 which seems like a godaddy ip
pinging tonyurbanphotography.com I got 162.209.47.182 so you've got something going on.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I graduated in 96 and the outdoor senior pics were just starting to take off. I'd say it became the "norm" in the mid 2000s. I don't really like the "sexy" senior pics, mostly because most girls can't pull it off at all and just look silly. I'd say about 90% of what they buy are the smiling pics but the more dramatic shots are what bring them in the door because they want to look and feel like a model for a day.

That's good that they buy mostly the smiling pics. Maybe having a baby daughter, I cringe for the day she wants to dress up in short jean shorts and a white wifebeater and pose in a lake. :lol:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:pinging http://www.tonyurbanphotography.com I got 50.87.147.16 which seems like a godaddy ip
pinging tonyurbanphotography.com I got 162.209.47.182 so you've got something going on.

Good catch! When I add the www in front, I get the correct site. When I leave it off, I get the old site. Thanks so much for figuring that out! Now I just need to figure out how to fix it. =)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Isn't that why you pay your domain servicer, to figure out these issues for you? :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Wait are those your photos of Danny Glover, Gary Busey, etc?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:40 pm

You have two "A" records with your DNS provider (zerigo.com). You need to get in touch with them and have them remove the record for 162.209.47.182

Go to http://mxtoolbox.com and do a dns lookup for tonyurbanphotography.com

Type Domain Name IP Address TTL
A tonyurbanphotography.com 50.87.147.16 60 min
A tonyurbanphotography.com 162.209.47.182 24 hrs
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 pm

shmenguin - Thanks! I've just left them a voicemail.

Shad - Yep. =)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Schmenguin is the directions you want to follow, looks like the wildcard A record *.tonyurbanphotography.com is set for the old ip address, make sure that one is switched over as well.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 pm

DNS is a nightmare to deal with. we're basically held hostage by the data center we use because we can't afford those 3 days of potential down time to switch locations.

excellent pics, by the way. you must employ a heavy dose of photoshop to get them that stylized, right? i try all the time to squeeze similar effects out of lightroom, but i never end up with anything usable.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 pm

shmenguin - Yeah, I figures this might be an issue so I waited until my "off season" to make the change. Thanks for the kind words re: my pics. I basically just use PS for skin smoothing or if I need to remove an object from the background, distracting fly away hair, etc. Everything else is done in LR. PS takes too much time when I'm really busy so I try to use it as sparingly as possible.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR