NBA

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NBA

Postby DelPen on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm

I think the hate was compounded by being a local kid who not only tuned his back on the team but his home. They would have detested him no matter what for leaving. But Cavs fans will forgive him now that he's back.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm

At least he's being smart and not saying "Not 1, not 2 yadda yadda"
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:53 pm

His comments were really mature. i admire that. if he wins one or a couple there, i wont have the same level of disgust as i would in miami. ive always hated that organization.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I feel bad for Wiggins if he gets traded. "I get to play with Lebr...no...no! Not Minnesota! Anywhere but there! NOOOOOO!"
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:58 pm

canaan wrote:His comments were really mature. i admire that. if he wins one or a couple there, i wont have the same level of disgust as i would in miami. ive always hated that organization.

I disliked him since he was in hs... He does seem to have matured recently though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 pm

miami heat bout to suck
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:miami heat bout to suck

Wade should have no interest in re-signing. In related news, no one else should have interest in signing Wade.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:14 pm

It was all a huge farce orchestrated by Gilbert and James.

-FO ineptitude in cleveland results in James being surrounded by a garbage cast of players
-Organization unable to build championship team around current group
-Lebron leaves in FA to pursue title elsewhere
-Stage public "decision" that humiliates the Cavs and makes fans and leage stakeholders pity them
-League, in feeling bad for cleveland, awards them with #1 "lottery" pick 3 times
-lebron returns to a team with a young elite point guard, young assets and cap room
-Cleveland Cav dynasty begins
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:40 pm

I love that the Cavs still have a first rounder from Miami.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Now trending in Cleveland...

blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:51 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I love that the Cavs still have a first rounder from Miami.

That might go back to Miami as a part of sign and trade for him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:59 pm

IanMoran wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Am I the only person in the world who thinks the only thing wrong with the way Lebron left was not telling the team before The Announcement? I don't feel like he bailed on the city or team, he extended his initial contract with the Cavs and left a chunk of money on the table (altho that may have been with an eye on Miami from the get go), and generally gave them more than he got in return.

I mean, I say that as someone with a pathological hatred of basketball. But I listen to The Herd a lot, and this has been pretty much all they've talked about all week.

I think even having the announcement was a complete joke... If he signed with Mia in a similar fashion to how he just signed with Cle, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

I think it's crap that he didn't do "The Announcement v2.0"...I mean, equal opportunity trolling of fan bases. Come on. :pop:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:06 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Am I the only person in the world who thinks the only thing wrong with the way Lebron left was not telling the team before The Announcement? I don't feel like he bailed on the city or team, he extended his initial contract with the Cavs and left a chunk of money on the table (altho that may have been with an eye on Miami from the get go), and generally gave them more than he got in return.

I mean, I say that as someone with a pathological hatred of basketball. But I listen to The Herd a lot, and this has been pretty much all they've talked about all week.

I think even having the announcement was a complete joke... If he signed with Mia in a similar fashion to how he just signed with Cle, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

I think it's crap that he didn't do "The Announcement v2.0"...I mean, equal opportunity trolling of fan bases. Come on. :pop:

For me The Decision" wasn't the only thing. All I heard was "Hes a free agent, its his right, he doesn't owe Cleveland anything." From a lot of accounts, Gilbert and the Cavs bent over backwards for not only Lebron, but his childhood friends. I'm not sure what all the entailed, but I know his friends were all given first class treatment at games, and I heard some of the late night partying was brushed under the rug. The whole time teams were courting Lebron, it was reported he wouldn't return texts or calls from Gilbert. If all that was true, yes I feel he did owe Cleveland and Gilbert something. The city and fanbase was humiliated by the Decision. Business shut down and jobs were lost. At least this time he seems to realize how much he affects the area and from his quotes he seems like he feels he does owe his home area something.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 pm

columbia wrote:

Why? He's a free agent. Miami has no control over him. Unless I have no idea how the NBA works.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:11 pm

if lebron leaving town caused business to fail, they didnt deserve to be businesses anyway. Gilbert et al bent over backwards for lebron and his friends because hes a cash cow and a chance for an NBA title. He was a 20-something millionaire whos been told his whole life that hes better or will be better than the greatest of greats. He admits he didnt handle it well, but he was young. you have some real misplaced anger. he still doesnt owe anybody in ohio anything. never did. get real.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
columbia wrote:

Why? He's a free agent. Miami has no control over him. Unless I have no idea how the NBA works.

Since Miami is the last team he played for they can offer him more money than any other team (the max contract the last team played for can offer is higher than any other team). A sign and trade will allow the Cavs to pay him what Miami would've paid him if he stayed in Miami but it requires some incentive (ala a first round draft pick) for it to happen.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
columbia wrote:

Salary cap issues maybe
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:13 pm

I was talking in the arena district. Of course he brought business and boomed the economy down there. Now, I'm im no way saying he was obligated to stay because of that, but he realizes he's a huge economic impact for a not so great area.

But also LOL at all these butt hurt Heat fans. You went to four straight finals. Shut up
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:15 pm

The only thing LeBron did wrong was the televised display of heartbreak.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Man, imagine the people who bet on 60:1 odds on the Cavs winning...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:18 pm

+1
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:23 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I was talking in the arena district. Of course he brought business and boomed the economy down there. Now, I'm im no way saying he was obligated to stay because of that, but he realizes he's a huge economic impact for a not so great area.

then i don't know what your point is, exactly.

neither lebron nor the cavs organization were doing each other favors. you don't really think that either party (especially the cavs) ever operated out of the goodness of their hearts do you? they were using each other to make money. no one owes anyone anything. i'd wager lebron was still active as a figure in the community even after he switched teams. he lived in ohio in the offseason after all.

people can hate the TV special, but people who think it was wrong for him to switch teams have no idea how the real world works and is destined to be victimized by it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm

wasn't cleveland going to give him a max contract in 2010? I thought all the teams in the running were going to. if so that means (in my estimation) he left for two reasons:
1) he didnt think he could create a championship legacy on his own, so he conspired with wade and bosh
2) being a young rich celebrity in miami > being a young rich celebrity in the rust belt
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:37 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:wasn't cleveland going to give him a max contract in 2010? I thought all the teams in the running were going to. if so that means (in my estimation) he left for two reasons:
1) he didnt think he could create a championship legacy on his own, so he conspired with wade and bosh
2) being a young rich celebrity in miami > being a young rich celebrity in the rust belt

he left because cleveland didn't have the pieces to contend and they had inept people making personnel decisions. the latter might still be true, but with irving and the prospect of getting a guy like love, the former is not. he went to miami simply because it was an eastern conference team in a reasonable market that allowed him to be on a team with his 2 friends who happened to also be all stars.

of course he couldn't create a championship on his own. he's objectively the best player in basketball and his team just got smoked in the finals. you need at least a little bit of help to win.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:48 pm

shmenguin wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:wasn't cleveland going to give him a max contract in 2010? I thought all the teams in the running were going to. if so that means (in my estimation) he left for two reasons:

he left because cleveland didn't have the pieces to contend and they had inept people making personnel decisions. the latter might still be true, but with irving and the prospect of getting a guy like love, the former is not. he went to miami simply because it was an eastern conference team in a reasonable market that allowed him to be on a team with his 2 friends who happened to also be all stars.

of course he couldn't create a championship on his own. he's objectively the best player in basketball and his team just got smoked in the finals. you need at least a little bit of help to win.

A lot this.

I'm trying to think back and the only team that I can remember that doesn't have multiple Hall of Famers that won the championship is the 04 Pistons (or definite HoFers...maybe Chauncy and the Wallaces will sneak in). Lebron went to Miami to be with Wade and Bosh, a definite and a possible Hall of Famers.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR