So you're a fast food manager/owner

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

So you're a fast food manager/owner

Postby Geezer on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm

and some of your burger flippers and drive thru window technicians walk off the job today to protest the fact that they don't make more than some mechanics, health care workers, etc. Assuming 7 walk off the job how many would you fire. I'd fire 2 and let the other 5 know their hours will be reduced and their schedules would probably be hours and times that they probably won't like much.
I would have been fair to anyone wishing to protest by telling anyone who wanted off could be off that day or for x hours if I could find co-workers willing to fill their slot. If I couldn't then they could not be scheduled off. I would have also been taking applications, hiring and fast track training people prior to that event. What these protesters need to understand is they have a right to protest, picket,etc. They don't have a right to keep a job if they leave without permission or skip a scheduled shift.

It's not surprising that union agitators are trying to portray minimum wage non-skilled as careers designed to support a family. these are jobs for teens and people working until they find a better job. One of my sons, my daughter and one of my daughter-in-laws worked together at a Wendy's when they were in high school. The franchise owner had a couple 40 hour employees that got paid a buck or so over minimum wage that he could rely on. The rest were kids, part-timers working a 2nd job, or people that just weren't capable of more demanding work.

I worked as a stockboy when I was 19 at a store similar to Kmart( called Gaylord's; now extinct). I got hired at a steel mill a few months later which paid a little over $3 / hour. Gaylords paid minimum which was $1.40 or slightly less than 1/2. Today's minimum is about $7.50 or about the same to okay starting wages of $15-16 per hour for what remaining industrial type jobs we have. I have no problem with people having absurd expectations but if they don't like their wages they can usually be replaced by someone who will work for amount.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: So you're a fast food manager/owner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 pm

This thread looks to get very political, very fast.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Fast food thread 1,000 by New Years

#FF1kNYD
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IamtheWaris on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:14 pm

If you want to make more money show me you can provide the company something the next guy waiting in line for a job can't.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Don't like the wage, don't work there.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Don't like the wage, don't work there.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:24 pm

I do feel sometimes for people my age or older still working fast food jobs on min wage, because I don't know everyones situation. But I don't think for a second 15-16 dollars an hour is deserved. I have a degree and 5+ years experience in my current industry and I make just enough to pay my bills and be somewhat comfortable, but thats because Im single with no kids. If that ever changed theres no way I could stay at my current position. But that doesn't give me the right to walk out or protest for a higher wage. I'd start searching for a better paying job.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Meh. I'd rather them get the money through mcdonalds than by the welfare office. God forbid they pay their employees a better wage.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I can see both sides of this. Say go get a better job is always easy to say, not always easy to do. Especially for people that are older. 16$ an hour to start is absurd, but living off of 7.50$ an hour even as a single person would be next to impossible I would think.

I'm thankful for the job I have, I don't make big money, but I make enough to not have to worry about money all the time at least. I look at someone like my mom who has been working at the same place(Giant Eagle)for 25 years, and I make more than she does. That bothers me, but what can ya do.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm

The path to financial security will come one burger flipped at a time!
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Geezer... I could probably write an essay in response to how short-sighted and morally bankrupt your post is, but I'll leave it to this.

What business is it of yours? Did you not get a fast food fix today or something? Well, frankly dear, I don't give a darn. What in the world do you have against paying people, who go to work every morning, work long hours, and deal with miserable people all day, a decent living wage.

Who says it has to be a career? I don't care if you believe the work is only for teenagers and the elderly. Its not. That is just factually incorrect. Don't believe me, here you go: 36% of Fast Food workers are between the ages of 25-54. http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/cep ... od-workers
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:42 pm

They're allowed to ask for money and the owner is allowed to tell them to stuff it. Why should they not be allowed to band together and ask, as a group, for higher wages? If the owner thinks they can fire everyone and hire a new staff and be as successful, that's certainly within the owner's rights too but I don't think it's fair of some people to pile on the workers and act as if they should be happy to make minimum wage because they're uneducated rubes.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54 pm

It's an economic conundrum of massive portions.

Certainly you want to see these folks make a "living wage". But it's not as easily done as said.

Automation has eliminated 100's of thousands of low skill positions. The current trend is toward self help screens at fast food locations which virtually eliminate the order taker.

It's also a fact, that the lowest wage earners *are* on social programs funded by not only the taxpayer, but by borrowing which steals from the future of not only our generations, but that of future generations.

There's no easy solution. From a workers perspective - Education. From the governments perspective it should be all about "Economic Growth". Create jobs. The more employed the better.

As for how to handle the workers, fast food workers are some the hardest workers to manage. I never realized how difficult they were until I had to do it.

Give me professionals any day.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:03 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
There's no easy solution. From a workers perspective - Education. From the governments perspective it should be all about "Economic Growth". Create jobs. The more employed the better.

It needs to be the right kind of education though. How many people with college educations are working service industry jobs? I just don't see higher education being the answer. Some of these people are not college material. I don't mean that as an insult, it's just that some people aren't "smart" enough for any type of education past the basics. High schools need to focus more on directing those types of students toward trades rather than college. But in many schools, even in rural areas, "vo tech" is viewed as a bad thing and the students are looked down upon so those students just muddle through high school and once they're done, they have no real skills or opportunities.

Frankly, I think America is too populated right now to support our society. There used to be copious amounts manufacturing jobs for workers who couldn't handle or afford college educations. As technology advances, many of those jobs are gone and never coming back. I just don't see where the replacement jobs are coming from. What "low skilled" jobs are companies going to create that can't be handled by machines/computers/etc?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I have 3 friends (well more than that but 3 in this scenario) 2 didn't make it 2 years in college and 1 never went. They all make 25-50% more than I do and I hate them
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Should have fired all of them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:48 pm

I'd hang myself.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:56 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:It's an economic conundrum of massive portions.

Certainly you want to see these folks make a "living wage". But it's not as easily done as said.

Sure it is. The ownership class (owners and/or shareholders) just needs to be forced to take a smaller piece of the pie.

In the end, it's the same thing Huey Long railed against (79 years ago next week).

Spoiler:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Should have fired all of them.

I agree with this.

More labor can always be found. When I worked for min wage back in '98 every 6 months we got a .25 raise. The longer you stayed the more $ you made above it. Show some loyalty.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't know if they're asking for 15 in hopes of getting 12 or if 15 is the actual end goal, but a raise to 15 will probably cause a price raise that will drop demand enough to force the restaurants to cut hours and reduce number of workers.

Thinking about the big picture, reducing demand for fast food wouldn't be a bad thing.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's an economic conundrum of massive portions.

Sure it is. The ownership class (owners and/or shareholders) just needs to be forced to take a smaller piece of the pie.

In the end, it's the same thing Huey Long railed against (79 years ago next week).

Spoiler:

No it's not. Investors aren't investing in McD's if they can get much much better returns in other ivestments with the same risk.

You don't force shareholders to do anything.

Nothing personal to you Willie, but people want to ignore the effect of capital flows in economics.

If you want these people to make a better living, frequent their establishments and give your order taker a tip. Nothing is stopping you.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:01 pm

I'd say that the demand for bad food for at the lowest possible price is the real driver. Why should the tax payers foot the bill for food stamps for the employees; let the people who are demanding the product pay the full economic cost.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:07 pm

columbia wrote:I'd say that the demand for bad food for at the lowest possible price is the real driver. Why should the tax payers foot the bill for food stamps for the employees; let the people who are demanding the product pay the full economic cost.

What about other minimum wage jobs?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Yes to those too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Ok just checking lol. Cause I want a raise too.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR