Official 2014 Penn State Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2014 Penn State Football Thread

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:18 pm

That's a very nice get for Franklin.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm

A bit odd though that he will be coaching the DB's?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Two more commits (both Vandy flips) today, 3* ATH Trace McSorley and 3* CB Grant Haley. McSorley will probably play safety. Haley had quite an impressive offer list.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Raiding Vandy a little too much?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:25 pm

relantel wrote:Raiding Vandy a little too much?

I think Vandy may have known this would happen and thus why they tried to keep him.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Id still rather have Holley and Vincent Jr. as opposed to the Vandy flips.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Apparently Vandy's new coach hadn't even tried to contact these two since his hire...you kind of have to wonder what's going on there. They had 18 commits, and now they have 9 decommits--4 of which flipped to PSU. Their class is really a wreck right now.

Update: 3* LB Donte Raymond flips commitment to Delaware, opens up another spot for Franklin.

Updated Update: Herb Hand on his was to PSU. Sorry Vandybros :?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 pm

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2014/1/21/5330758/football-coaching-staff-james-franklin-penn-state-hand-pry-spencer-shoop

Time will tell with regards to the staff, but at first glance it lacks experience at the highest level of college football, especially in the major conferences.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Hand and Spencer seem like guys who will most likely eventually move on to bigger and better things. The rest I agree with--Franklin seems to have placed recruiting strength as his #1 priority. That's okay, just...different. He seems to know what he's doing, these appear to be pretty strategic moves (making inroads with WPIAL football programs for example) and he had a pretty special thing going on at Vanderbilt (where almost all of these guys came from and liked him enough to follow here) so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I do like the fact that he's already addressed some glaring holes at offensive line and defensive back.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Hand and Spencer seem like guys who will most likely eventually move on to bigger and better things. The rest I agree with--Franklin seems to have placed recruiting strength as his #1 priority. That's okay, just...different. He seems to know what he's doing, these appear to be pretty strategic moves (making inroads with WPIAL football programs for example) and he had a pretty special thing going on at Vanderbilt (where almost all of these guys came from and liked him enough to follow here) so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I do like the fact that he's already addressed some glaring holes at offensive line and defensive back.

Makes sense, recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program. Its no shock that teams that recruit the best typically have the best results on the field.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Hand and Spencer seem like guys who will most likely eventually move on to bigger and better things. The rest I agree with--Franklin seems to have placed recruiting strength as his #1 priority. That's okay, just...different. He seems to know what he's doing, these appear to be pretty strategic moves (making inroads with WPIAL football programs for example) and he had a pretty special thing going on at Vanderbilt (where almost all of these guys came from and liked him enough to follow here) so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Makes sense, recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program. Its no shock that teams that recruit the best typically have the best results on the field.

While that's true, apparently Franklin was a little underwhelming on gamedays. Not like O'Brien wasn't though--that Indiana game made me want to fly across the pond from my flat in England to slap him in the face. Still gives me nightmares.

Another thing to consider is the staff as a whole is very, very young--hence their energy on the recruiting trail. They're going to be relentless, as you can already tell.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:34 pm

I like the defensive side. They seem to be pretty top-notch guys. The offensive side is a different story. John Donovan's background is sketchy at best and he has a former receiver (Ricky Rahne) as the QB coach. I wonder how happy Hackenberg and O'Connor are about those two guys? it seems the complaint I read about Franklin at Vandy was his offenses were very vanilla and he leaned on the defense to carry them. It seems like the staff he's hired might confirm that.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Guess Coach is not parroting the company line, so to speak:

James Franklin ‏@coachjfranklin 56 mins Two years ago we lost a #PSU legend! Remembering Coach Paterno today. We are proud & honored to add on to the foundation he built. #WeAre
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I like the defensive side. They seem to be pretty top-notch guys. The offensive side is a different story. John Donovan's background is sketchy at best and he has a former receiver (Ricky Rahne) as the QB coach. I wonder how happy Hackenberg and O'Connor are about those two guys? it seems the complaint I read about Franklin at Vandy was his offenses were very vanilla and he leaned on the defense to carry them. It seems like the staff he's hired might confirm that.

If we're headed toward the Michigan State model, I'm ok with that....maybe because as PSU fans we're use it...the difference is Franklin might have the ability to bring in top flight talent to play on that side of the ball, and if you have the horses they can get it done in any type of system.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 pm

"@FightOnState: The lights are on at Beaver Stadium at #PennState. Doubt it is a coincidence. http://t.co/6GlTKgMTlj"
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:I like the defensive side. They seem to be pretty top-notch guys. The offensive side is a different story. John Donovan's background is sketchy at best and he has a former receiver (Ricky Rahne) as the QB coach. I wonder how happy Hackenberg and O'Connor are about those two guys? it seems the complaint I read about Franklin at Vandy was his offenses were very vanilla and he leaned on the defense to carry them. It seems like the staff he's hired might confirm that.

If we're headed toward the Michigan State model, I'm ok with that....

That seems like low expectations for the program.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 am

Best team in the Big 10 is low expectations?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:31 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Best team in the Big 10 is low expectations?

I'm not talking about one season. If you mean to say that you think following what MSU did this season over the long haul -- top 10 defense plus an offense in the lower third in the NCAA -- is consistently winning the B10, then we disagree.

Penn State is a better program than MSU overall is my point. I took your post to mean that following MSU's model, where they have more of a challenge recruiting the most explosive offensive players, and therefore focus on the defensive side of the ball, would be the way for PSU to do it as being an underwhelming way of looking at the program.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 pm

slappybrown wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Best team in the Big 10 is low expectations?

I'm not talking about one season. If you mean to say that you think following what MSU did this season over the long haul -- top 10 defense plus an offense in the lower third in the NCAA -- is consistently winning the B10, then we disagree.

Penn State is a better program than MSU overall is my point. I took your post to mean that following MSU's model, where they have more of a challenge recruiting the most explosive offensive players, and therefore focus on the defensive side of the ball, would be the way for PSU to do it as being an underwhelming way of looking at the program.

I meant that I think Franklin has the recruiting prowess to bring in explosive offensive players, so a 'vanilla' offense will still be okay if they have the athleticism on that side of the ball...as long as the defense is very good, 'vanilla' on the other side will be okay...and over the long term I might agree with you, but at this point PSU is simply an average Big 10 team who will finish with an average Big 10 record for a few seasons while MSU has a legitimate shot to win the Big 10 again next year.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Its being projected that the Nittany Lions have the freedom to sign as many as 25 players in the 2014 recruiting class.
The class currently stands at 21 verbal commitments with just two weeks until National Signing Day.

The Nittany Lions are trying to make a late push for five-star offensive tackle Damian Prince and four-star prospects Saeed Blacknall, Koa Farmer and Derrick Nnadi, among others.

Should be an interesting 2 weeks....
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Its being projected that the Nittany Lions have the freedom to sign as many as 25 players in the 2014 recruiting class.
The class currently stands at 21 verbal commitments with just two weeks until National Signing Day.

The Nittany Lions are trying to make a late push for five-star offensive tackle Damian Prince and four-star prospects Saeed Blacknall, Koa Farmer and Derrick Nnadi, among others.

My guess is Blacknall is nearly a lock for PSU along with Amani Oruwariye (CB), with Farmer and Prince as outside shots. The last two are taking official visits to Penn State, which is pretty huge considering Farmer is from California and they got at Prince so late in the game.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Dysfunction from AD and BOT pushed BOB to NFL per John Bacon.

http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/road-satu ... ysfunction

After Penn State's 2013 season, according to insiders familiar with the situation, Joyner failed to follow through on his promises to boost O'Brien's budget for assistant coaches' salaries, recruiting and facilities. At the 2013 senior banquet, one witness said, the tension between the two men was "palpable. You couldn't ignore it."
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 am

I think that is more truthful than the "Paterno People" getting to BOB.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:06 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

My guess is Blacknall is nearly a lock for PSU along with Amani Oruwariye (CB), with Farmer and Prince as outside shots. The last two are taking official visits to Penn State, which is pretty huge considering Farmer is from California and they got at Prince so late in the game.

With this winter you might be better off with the guy from California not visiting.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

He is visiting Wisconsin too so I dont think weather will be a factor.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR