Official 2014 Penn State Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2014 Penn State Football Thread

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:"@C_AdamskiTrib: When it comes to 2015 prospects that were offered scholarships by both Pitt & Penn State (per Rivals) who have committed, the score?
8-0 PSU"

:pop:

Goddamnit Chryst.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Got my "Dominate the State" t-shirt today downtown. The weather has been absolutely beautiful this weekend. Drank my face off at the tailgate and Phyrst yesterday and walking around campus now. PSU in the spring during nice weather, can't ask for much more.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:54 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:"@C_AdamskiTrib: When it comes to 2015 prospects that were offered scholarships by both Pitt & Penn State (per Rivals) who have committed, the score?
8-0 PSU"

Goddamnit Chryst.

Why do you not go, gridiron sporting team from the state-affiliated institution of research and higher learning in Pittsburgh? :wink:

Just kidding, slappy.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Got my "Dominate the State" t-shirt today downtown. The weather has been absolutely beautiful this weekend. Drank my face off at the tailgate and Phyrst yesterday and walking around campus now. PSU in the spring during nice weather, can't ask for much more.

:thumb:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
8-0 PSU"

Goddamnit Chryst.

Why do you not go, gridiron sporting team from the state-affiliated institution of research and higher learning in Pittsburgh? :wink:

Just kidding, slappy.

Indeed they are making me the sad.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:55 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:With McLean's commit, PSU has the unanimous #1 recruiting class (jumping Alabama). Pretty friggin' unreal, all things considered.

I hope he can coach half as good as he can recruit.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:With McLean's commit, PSU has the unanimous #1 recruiting class (jumping Alabama). Pretty friggin' unreal, all things considered.

is there a link? or is this just opinion?

edit: nevermind.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... amRankings
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2015
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... M8RFxGPZB4
Last edited by count2infinity on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 pm

thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 am

Is it just me, or was B/W weekend really early this year? It used to be on the last weekend in April. I know it's a crazy Easter calendar this year but that isn't the last weekend in April.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:43 am

relantel wrote:Is it just me, or was B/W weekend really early this year? It used to be on the last weekend in April. I know it's a crazy Easter calendar this year but that isn't the last weekend in April.

It think it is usually around the 18th-22nd. Give that weekend is Easter I think they moved it up a weekend.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ad@m on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Franklin contacted rape victim

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10858666&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Djames%2Bfranklin%26oq%3DJames%2Bfr%26gs_l%3Dmobile-heirloom-serp.1.1.0l5.1705.6380.0.9607.8.8.0.0.0.0.859.2371.5-1j2.3.0....0...1c.1.34.mobile-heirloom-serp..5.3.2361.7Nnq-anukag%22%7D

In the filing, the defense says Franklin and strength coach Dwight Galt -- who left Vandy for the same jobs at Penn State this winter -- talked to the alleged victim four days after the rape during a medical examination.

Franklin and Galt told the victim "that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting," according to the filing. Later, the defense said, "Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

Franklin, when reached by phone on Tuesday, repeatedly said he was "not interested in talking."
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:16 pm

How is that positive for their defense?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:20 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
relantel wrote:Is it just me, or was B/W weekend really early this year? It used to be on the last weekend in April. I know it's a crazy Easter calendar this year but that isn't the last weekend in April.

It's been the first day of trout season since I can't remember when
It think it is usually around the 18th-22nd. Give that weekend is Easter I think they moved it up a weekend.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:02 am

If I read that right.. He told a girl to get fifteen girls together for recruiting, and then the alleged rape happened? That's no good.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan1989 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:04 am

I don't know much about Franklin and what happened at Vandy, but it's bad for PSU to have this come up, even if there's nothing there.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 am

ulf wrote:If I read that right.. He told a girl to get fifteen girls together for recruiting, and then the alleged rape happened? That's no good.

Nevermind, looks like he had her get her girls together after the indicident. I'm assuming he didn't know anything about it at that point.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CBear3 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

What I've read is he talked to her 4 days after the rape, and then had a private meeting with her after that where he asked her to gather the pretty girl squad.

If the worst recruiting violation they can pin on him is a pretty girl squad, I wouldn't be worried (having read reports of what else goes on in SEC territory).

I'm also not sure how you can fault him reaching out to her after the rape, unless you can imply that he was attempting to sway her from pressing charges. You could twist it that way, but I think she'd have said as much in her affidavit.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:25 am

Umm...am I missing something here? Isn't this gross?

In the filing, the defense says Franklin and strength coach Dwight Galt -- who left Vandy for the same jobs at Penn State this winter -- talked to the alleged victim four days after the rape during a medical examination.

So 4 days after she was allegedly raped, Franklin...attends(?) a medical examination of the victim? What?

Then, knowing that she may or may not have been raped by the football team, he asks her to gather a group of attractive women to, well, help in recruiting somewhere between the spectrum of "show and be pretty and flirt with recruits to get them to come here" on one end and you know what on the other.

That's horrifying, and I don't care to what extent it does or does not break NCAA regs. Its morally bankrupt.

Pay the players.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 am

I'm honestly skeptical, considering he was cleared by the DA several times in this case. I'll withhold judgment for now.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:31 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm honestly skeptical, considering he was cleared by the DA several times in this case. I'll withhold judgment for now.

But the DA is clearing him of a crime. I don't think, if what the defense alleges about Franklin's meetings with her are true, that Franklin committed a crime. That's what the DA cares about. I'm saying its gross.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 am

slappybrown wrote:Pay the players.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 am

slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'm honestly skeptical, considering he was cleared by the DA several times in this case. I'll withhold judgment for now.

But the DA is clearing him of a crime. I don't think, if what the defense alleges about Franklin's meetings with her are true, that Franklin committed a crime. That's what the DA cares about. I'm saying its gross.

As far as the "pretty girl" thing is concerned, it wouldn't surprise me if true, and it probably occurs at nearly every university with a large football program. I am far more skeptical that it had anything to do with covering up a rape or something. As someone else stated, he probably didn't even know what happened at that time.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 am

slappybrown wrote:Then, knowing that she may or may not have been raped by the football team, he asks her to gather a group of attractive women to, well, help in recruiting somewhere between the spectrum of "show and be pretty and flirt with recruits to get them to come here" on one end and you know what on the other.

I read over that part of the story and had a hard time believing that is what was written.

Has it been verified elsewhere?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 am

slappybrown wrote:Umm...am I missing something here? Isn't this gross?

So 4 days after she was allegedly raped, Franklin...attends(?) a medical examination of the victim? What?

Then, knowing that she may or may not have been raped by the football team, he asks her to gather a group of attractive women to, well, help in recruiting somewhere between the spectrum of "show and be pretty and flirt with recruits to get them to come here" on one end and you know what on the other.

That's horrifying, and I don't care to what extent it does or does not break NCAA regs. Its morally bankrupt.

Pay the players.

That was my thought as well. I, like ulf, originally read the article as her being a recruiting helper who was raped and then Franklin visited her because he knew her because she helped with recruiting. But instead its "Hey you were raped by members of my football team, let me make it up to you by having you and 15 of your hottest friends be the eye candy squad for potential recruits." That honestly seems worse to me.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 am

I agree about the pretty girl team being a common practice.

I'm saying maybe don't ask a potential rape victim, who's medical examination you attended (what in the ****), to trade on her sexuality to help your football program. This seems self-evident.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR