Any bowlers out there?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Any bowlers out there?

Postby offsides on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:39 pm

When I retired (about 3 years ago), I was looking for a year round sport that was not weather dependent. I guess you can consider bowling a sport. Took me quite a while and tons of practice to get a handle on the best way to bowl. I don't blow my own horn much, but here is a little toot. Last night I bowled my highest 3 game series so far, a 665. After 15 weeks (45 games) in this league, I have a 196 average. I can actually compete with some of the much younger bowlers. Really a pretty enjoyable sport.

Like I said, anyone else enjoy bowling?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Any bowlers out there?

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:49 pm

I average a gentleman's 46.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Malka is a big bowler. He almost bowled a 300 then his wife told him on the last ball to not mess it up. He messed it up. lol. I enjoy bowling. Average is like a 150, but I haven't been in about 2 years or so.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:16 pm

I definitely enjoy bowling, I just never have the occasion to go. The only time I go anymore is the Friday after Thanksgiving, my friends from back home and I go out. I bowl anywhere between 120-170, which I am pretty happy with considering how little I go.

I don't even bother with the hook. I start slightly to the right side of the lane and just aim for the pocket.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 pm

count2infinity wrote:Malka is a big bowler. He almost bowled a 300 then his wife told him on the last ball to not mess it up. He messed it up. lol. I enjoy bowling. Average is like a 150, but I haven't been in about 2 years or so.

I also took a 300 into the tenth and choked badly. I was shaking so bad, not sure how I didn't fall down. My high game is a 278, all strikes with a spare in the fourth.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:16 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I definitely enjoy bowling, I just never have the occasion to go.

Same here. It's fun but rarely go.

They have a "Kids Bowl Free" program at a lot of bowling alleys where you can take the kids for free 4 nights a week. They offer adult passes for like $12 for the summer and shoe passes also. My wife usually ends up taking them though. I can hit 120 on a good day. More with the bumpers lol
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Both the place i live now and my last apartment have bowlig alleys in walking distance. Closest i ever got to goig to one was callig it to see if they were airing a football game atthe bar.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:01 pm

This isn't Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 pm

I use to bowl weekly until I was 18. Did leagues, traveled for tournaments, etc. Wasn't too bad for that age, but didn't continue it once I hit college. Have gone maybe 5 times or so in the last 1 1/2 year. Hit around a 210 in one of the more recent games, but I'm generally terrible with any kind of house ball, as my hand doesn't typically fit well with the heavier weight house balls. So either I can throw a 10/12 that fits my grip, or i can throw a 14/16 that doesn't.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I average about 140 when I remember to bring my own ball, high is 217 think. Only time I got over 200. I was in a league once, and we lost the championship match to the other teams handicap.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:03 pm

I too bowled some when in my teens. Pretty much quit in college and after because of many hours of work, turn work, marriage and trying to raise three boys. Very different than the show "My Three Sons". Now that I'm medicare age, I am in three leagues that bowl weekly and try to practice at least once a week. I am also embarrassed at how much I have spent on balls over the last three years. As my Dad used to say, anything worth doing, is worth doing right! :)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I've bowled as high as 240 and as low as 50 during the same outting. Who the hell knows...
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Ive bowled a few 300s in wii bowling.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:14 pm

count2infinity wrote:Malka is a big bowler. He almost bowled a 300 then his wife told him on the last ball to not mess it up. He messed it up. lol. I enjoy bowling. Average is like a 150, but I haven't been in about 2 years or so.

Worst day of "bowling" in my life.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm

I bowl in two leagues one for "fun" and one a money league. I hold roughly a 187 average in both.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gabe on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm not sure which is higher, my bowling score or my mini-golf score.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Are you that good at bowling or that bad at mini golf? Or are you really really good at mini golf and really really bad at bowling?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gabe on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Are you that good at bowling or that bad at mini golf? Or are you really really good at mini golf and really really bad at bowling?

mediocre at both. :face:
i'd say my score is somewhere between 90-110 for each game.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I bowl in two leagues one for "fun" and one a money league. I hold roughly a 187 average in both.

Nice!! What ball/s you using?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:28 am

offsides wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I bowl in two leagues one for "fun" and one a money league. I hold roughly a 187 average in both.

I use a DV8 Brutal Nightmare pretty much exclusively. I used to run two balls but the DV8 hooks so much it's relatively easy to hit spare shots with it.

What about you?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
offsides wrote:

I use a DV8 Brutal Nightmare pretty much exclusively. I used to run two balls but the DV8 hooks so much it's relatively easy to hit spare shots with it.

What about you?

Got two Storm pearlized IQs at the beginning of the season. Had them drilled pretty mildly, but they still finishes nicely, at least on the lanes I bowl. One is 4000 grit and the other 1500. I sometimes switch according to changing lane conditions, I like the way a pearl ball stores energy and finishes strong. I also went to a 14 lb. ball this year as my shoulder and elbow were starting to bother me. I notice no difference in pin carry between a 14 and 15 lb. ball.

I still have a hard time with ten pin spares, definitely my nemesis. :)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:57 pm

offsides wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
offsides wrote:

What about you?

Got two Storm pearlized IQs at the beginning of the season. Had them drilled pretty mildly, but they still finishes nicely, at least on the lanes I bowl. One is 4000 grit and the other 1500. I sometimes switch according to changing lane conditions, I like the way a pearl ball stores energy and finishes strong. I also went to a 14 lb. ball this year as my shoulder and elbow were starting to bother me. I notice no difference in pin carry between a 14 and 15 lb. ball.

Haha tens are the same for me. I too went from a 16lb ball to a 15lb ball. Was putting too much torque on my elbow and was really starting to bother me.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:03 pm

I love bowling and since my body can't handle playing hockey anymore, bowling is my main sport. Bowling leagues is great! I tore my wrist up pretty good in the past (not sure how) but in short, I have two torn ligaments in my wrist (SLAC wrist) that they can't repair, so I am re-learning how to bowl. In my younger days I was a 210 - 220 average then took 10 years off and came back got back up to about 190 then started having wrist problems. Slowing been working my way up from a 110 average to my current 180.

For anyone who is serious about bowling you should really seek out a GOOD pro shop that understands the modern game and get a good fit that is tweaked. 90% of the bowlers I bowl with in league have a VERY poor fit, most of them with stretched spans and reverse pitch in the thumbhole when they don't need it.

I bowl with a Radical Reax for my strong hook ball and a Motiv Primal for my weak hook ball and of course a plastic ball to throw at spares. I can't say enough good things about the Reax ball, its by far the best ball I ever bowled with. Just make sure if you get one the pro shop watches you bowl and gets your specs (axis tilt, axis rotation, PAP, Speed) so that the Reax can be layed out correctly to match you.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
offsides wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
offsides wrote:

What about you?

Haha tens are the same for me. I too went from a 16lb ball to a 15lb ball. Was putting too much torque on my elbow and was really starting to bother me.

10 pins are easy stand on the 35 or 40 board and pick an arrow to throw the ball over (usually somewhere between the 4th(middle) and 3rd arrow. If you hit your mark and miss, then adjust your mark until you find what works for you and write it down. Then all you have to do is stand in that same place and hit the mark. Use a plastic ball or learn how to take all your axis rotation off your hook ball so it rolls dead straight. It take a lot of pressure off getting the 10 pin if in your mind you know exactly what to do when you get on the approach. Stand on 40 throw over the 17 board at the arrows and the 10 pin goes down.

in most cases with the modern balls today, a 15lb ball will carry better than a 16lb will. The reason for this is the 16lb hits too hard and throws pins in the air instead of keeping them low. Also most of the ball manufactures out there are designing their cores for 15lbs. Most of the people on tour have switched to 15lb balls. About the only ones still throwing 16's are the lower rev strokers that tend to play down and in (think Norm Duke). Some have even moved down to 14, but I am not sure how many.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to NHR