Any bowlers out there?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Any bowlers out there?

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:51 pm

columbia wrote:When are the LGP bowling shirts going to be available?
I'd buy one.

Me too, at least they would be unique\rare. I am sure I would get a lot of "What the **** is LGP"?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
offsides wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:
I bowl with a Radical Reax for my strong hook ball and a Motiv Primal for my weak hook ball and of course a plastic ball to throw at spares. I can't say enough good things about the Reax ball, its by far the best ball I ever bowled with. Just make sure if you get one the pro shop watches you bowl and gets your specs (axis tilt, axis rotation, PAP, Speed) so that the Reax can be layed out correctly to match you.

I have been looking at the Reax pearl as a selfie Christmas present. I think you just talked me into it, ho ho ho. :wink:

My wife has the reax pearl, its a stronger ball than the original reax. There is also an even stronger version (Reax version 2) that is out but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. If you want a ball that is a hook monster, get the version 2 Reax. Just make sure you get it from a good pro shop that understand layouts and knows your game. The beauty of the cores in the reax is their versatility of being able to be matched up to the bowlers game. A bad layout on the reax can spell disaster with your ball flaring over drilling holes or being out of spec on the weight balances or even worse yet, a ball that hasn't finished it PAP migration (core flip) before it hits the pins.

Ended up getting a Reax pearl and a Reax version 2. There may be balls out there that hit harder than the Reax 2, but I have never thrown them. Once the Reax 2 flips, it just blows up the pins. If I throw it right, it is without a doubt the strongest ball I have ever used. I also like the pearl version on slightly drier lanes. Thanks for the good advice!! :fist:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Bump. Just bought a reax pearl. Waiting for it in the mail. Bowlingball.com has them for 89$ w/free ship.

juice is gonna teach me how to roll like an adult instead of just aiming for the middle like a schmo.

wicked excited.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:08 pm

canaan wrote:Bump. Just bought a reax pearl. Waiting for it in the mail. Bowlingball.com has them for 89$ w/free ship.

juice is gonna teach me how to roll like an adult instead of just aiming for the middle like a schmo.

wicked excited.

Duck pins?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:21 pm

I went bowling today with work.i bowled a 300 in 2 games. Is this any good cause I feel like it was really good lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:41 pm

300 total or two 300 games?

:slug:

A 150 average is pretty good for an occasional bowler.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:56 am

Avg 180.

Old school balls: Hammer, Sumo, and Nitro.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 am

I average around 170-180, just use the alley balls though and aim for the middle like a schmo.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 am

I'm mainly in it for the shoes.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:35 am

If anyone is looking for some guidance on how to bowl, Richard Shockley has some really good youtube videos that really show you the correct way to release a bowling ball off your hand. Norm Duke also has some of his next level bowling segments on youtube as well (search next level bowling). Between those two sources anyone can get a good understanding of the basic's of the game if they we willing to put some time in on the lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RSvirtualbowling
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 60sixx on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:20 am

I've threatened to take bowling lessons for years - but never took the plunge.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:25 am

Willie Kool wrote:300 total or two 300 games?

:slug:

A 150 average is pretty good for an occasional bowler.

total. I know 300 is a perfect game lol.

My strategy was to just muscle theball down the alley
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 am

60sixx wrote:I've threatened to take bowling lessons for years - but never took the plunge.

bowling lessons? no need
just do a little reading, watch a few youtubes and start huckin em
ask anyone at the lane when you are throwing that seems to have a clue, people are more than willing to give a few pointers
lane time is the main thing that will make you better
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:47 am

YOU GUIS MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY COOL IN HIGH SCHOOL DOT SUIT AT A PIRATES GAME
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 am

Juice wrote:
60sixx wrote:I've threatened to take bowling lessons for years - but never took the plunge.

bowling lessons? no need
ask anyone at the lane when you are throwing that seems to have a clue, people are more than willing to give a few pointers

When i was bowling all the time, I bought a ball from a shop at one of the alleys. the dude in the shop spent some time with me, I think that's all you need. the stroke isn't particularly hard to understand, just hard to repeat.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

slappybrown wrote:YOU GUIS MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY COOL IN HIGH SCHOOL DOT SUIT AT A PIRATES GAME

TOPS
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:08 am

Juice wrote:

bowling lessons? no need

I used to think that way also, but when I started having major trouble with my wrist I went and got refitted for a ball and the pro shop operator was one of the top 100 bowling coaches in the world (according to some bowler institute). He coached a couple PBA title holders. Well anyways my game improved tremendously after getting a few lessons from him.

I have seen some of the advice people give out at the lanes and it can be downright harmful to someone and encourage really bad habits. The main problem with people who don't have a coaching background, think everyone should bowl like themselves and try and teach people to be more and more like themselves. Watch the PBA on TV some Sunday and see how many of those bowlers have the same form..... almost none of them do, which is where a good coach comes in and helps you find your own style that you can then perfect. 90% of being a good bowler is about consistency and repeatability!

Since i am still majorly struggling with my wrist I am going back to him next week and i am going to switch hands and learn to bowl lefty over the summer.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Juice on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
Juice wrote:

bowling lessons? no need

I used to think that way also, but when I started having major trouble with my wrist I went and got refitted for a ball and the pro shop operator was one of the top 100 bowling coaches in the world (according to some bowler institute). He coached a couple PBA title holders. Well anyways my game improved tremendously after getting a few lessons from him.

I have seen some of the advice people give out at the lanes and it can be downright harmful to someone and encourage really bad habits. The main problem with people who don't have a coaching background, think everyone should bowl like themselves and try and teach people to be more and more like themselves. Watch the PBA on TV some Sunday and see how many of those bowlers have the same form..... almost none of them do, which is where a good coach comes in and helps you find your own style that you can then perfect. 90% of being a good bowler is about consistency and repeatability!

Since i am still majorly struggling with my wrist I am going back to him next week and i am going to switch hands and learn to bowl lefty over the summer.

this is really the way to go, it's more about just getting started though
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Since we are on the coaching and learning to bowl, Brian Voss has a great book (Bare bones bowling) that really gets into the mechanics of your body while bowling.

I wouldn't suggest it for the casual bowler as they won't learn much from it. But anyone who really wants to improve can benefit from it. It is a VERY dry read because its full of technical information related to the different aspects of bowling, such as footwork, arm swing, hand positions, spine tilt and etc.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR