Any bowlers out there?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Any bowlers out there?

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:21 pm

The carry of a 15lb ball is exactly why I also dropped down too. There's little to no difference in pocket hits as far as I'm concerned.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 pm

ffemtreed wrote:I love bowling and since my body can't handle playing hockey anymore, bowling is my main sport. Bowling leagues is great! I tore my wrist up pretty good in the past (not sure how) but in short, I have two torn ligaments in my wrist (SLAC wrist) that they can't repair, so I am re-learning how to bowl. In my younger days I was a 210 - 220 average then took 10 years off and came back got back up to about 190 then started having wrist problems. Slowing been working my way up from a 110 average to my current 180.

For anyone who is serious about bowling you should really seek out a GOOD pro shop that understands the modern game and get a good fit that is tweaked. 90% of the bowlers I bowl with in league have a VERY poor fit, most of them with stretched spans and reverse pitch in the thumbhole when they don't need it.

I bowl with a Radical Reax for my strong hook ball and a Motiv Primal for my weak hook ball and of course a plastic ball to throw at spares. I can't say enough good things about the Reax ball, its by far the best ball I ever bowled with. Just make sure if you get one the pro shop watches you bowl and gets your specs (axis tilt, axis rotation, PAP, Speed) so that the Reax can be layed out correctly to match you.

I agree. I was really lost until I got hooked up with a pro. I was lost and averaging around 150. After a few lessons and a better understanding of modern equipment and oil conditions, I have a much more consistent game. Plus as you said, the pro can match a drilling to my style of bowling.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:The carry of a 15lb ball is exactly why I also dropped down too. There's little to no difference in pocket hits as far as I'm concerned.

I also see little to no difference with my 14s. In fact my highest series and highest games have been with a 14 lb. ball.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeanPronovost on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:46 pm

I've never been any good at bowling. My best score is 156, even though I grew up across the street from an alley. One of my childhood nemeses was Joe Berardi, who lived around the corner from me and is now in the PBA Hall of Fame.

Going to Vegas for a few days before Christmas and the hotel we're staying at has lanes, so we're going to play a few games. But my expectations are low.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby offsides on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:52 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
I bowl with a Radical Reax for my strong hook ball and a Motiv Primal for my weak hook ball and of course a plastic ball to throw at spares. I can't say enough good things about the Reax ball, its by far the best ball I ever bowled with. Just make sure if you get one the pro shop watches you bowl and gets your specs (axis tilt, axis rotation, PAP, Speed) so that the Reax can be layed out correctly to match you.

I have been looking at the Reax pearl as a selfie Christmas present. I think you just talked me into it, ho ho ho. :wink:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Ive bowled a few 300s in wii bowling.

289 buddy
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 am

offsides wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:

I have been looking at the Reax pearl as a selfie Christmas present. I think you just talked me into it, ho ho ho. :wink:

My wife has the reax pearl, its a stronger ball than the original reax. There is also an even stronger version (Reax version 2) that is out but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. If you want a ball that is a hook monster, get the version 2 Reax. Just make sure you get it from a good pro shop that understand layouts and knows your game. The beauty of the cores in the reax is their versatility of being able to be matched up to the bowlers game. A bad layout on the reax can spell disaster with your ball flaring over drilling holes or being out of spec on the weight balances or even worse yet, a ball that hasn't finished it PAP migration (core flip) before it hits the pins.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

used to bowl all the time, had BYOB lanes and we took full advantage bringing in pitchers of margaritas, 8 gallon kegs and party balls. Unfortunately the lanes closed and so did another chapter in my life.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am

Love bowling. I just dont' get to go too often right now. Back right out of college, I'd probably go twice a week with my buddies. It was unlimited games in 2 hours and $6 buckets of beer at two different lanes, so we'd go. Once I got married, that pretty much ended. It sucks, where I live, there really isn't any good bowling lanes.

I probably average around a 160-165 and my best game was a 242.

When my kids get older, I'd love to find a league.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:41 pm

I love to go bowling but am TERRIBLE at it. I also hate how expensive it is. 1 game with shoe rental at the local lanes is $15 per person. I remember going as a kid and we would play 3-5 games for $12.

Bowled my best game ever last time I went (back in March). 146. The time I went before that in spring of 2008 I bowled a 32.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:42 pm

32?
Did I read that correctly?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:44 pm

...yup

Like I said...I am TERRIBLE. Granted it was my first time bowling in about 10 years but it's not like I had any skill to lose. 32. I think there is a special school they send people like me to.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:48 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I love to go bowling but am TERRIBLE at it. I also hate how expensive it is. 1 game with shoe rental at the local lanes is $15 per person. I remember going as a kid and we would play 3-5 games for $12.

Bowled my best game ever last time I went (back in March). 146. The time I went before that in spring of 2008 I bowled a 32.

Most centers have different rates for different times of day and day of the week. You can buy a pair of bowling shoes for like 30 or 40 dollars. The ROI on them is pretty small and unless you bowl a lot they last forever. Most rates around here are 3.50 to 4.50 a game for prime time bowling, but as cheap as 1.50 a game during non peak hours. So since i have my shoes, I can go bowl 3 games on a Sunday morning for less than $5.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beerman on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 pm

I think I've gone once in the last 4-5 years and that was a family thing with my wife's side so I didn't have any of my stuff. I used to bowl constantly though and was in leagues from the time I was 7 or 8 until I was about half way through college. I bowled my first 200 when I was 10 and won about a 2K scholarship for winning a tournament, by the time I was a junior in HS my average was between 195 and 200. My high game was a 298, choked on the last ball, then started the next game with 6 in a row. I don't think I'll ever fully get over screwing that up. Also had one other game where I had 9-spare in the first frame then finished with 11 in a row, the 298 was much more painful. 2 or 3 other games in the 270's.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get back into it and I'm really hoping to do so after the start of the new year. I'm not even sure why I stopped but I pretty much just quit for no reason at all.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

32?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Happened to bowl this Saturday for the first time in probably 5 years. Bowled a 105 and a 150.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Spoiler:

Bowled a lot when I was a child and have several trophies. (Baseball and Football trophies are for punks.)

Bowled a lot in college at "Midnight Bowl" with music and blacklights.

Haven't bowled in quite a while. Think I could easily hit 150. Used to average 175 and my best was a 257.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:01 am

Since we are talking bowling, my youngest son went to a bowling party a few weekends back and is now obsessed with bowling. He has me taping pro bowling on ESPN and I don't even know what I'm watching. There's blue-colored oil, different oil patterns, Terrell Owens (?!), some dude throwing it two-handed (LOL), Pittsburgh Jack Rabbits, etc. What happened to bowling?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 am

Young Money took over the sport.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:49 am

Stepping on the foul line, dropping those 16-pound balls left and right and then making a big celebration when they get a spare.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 60sixx on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 pm

I love bowling. I'm not good at it, but I love it. I joined a women's league (luckily, I'm a woman) a few years back. I'm the youngest member by about 15-20 years - most of the women are 60s, a few 70s. My current average is 112, with a high game of 141 on the season.

I actually took bowling in college as one of my required phys ed classes. It was pretty funny - you'd meet at the local bowling alley, line up like a big chorus line on the lanes, and pretend bowl to get your form. We practiced some stuff like 3-step bowling, 4-step bowling, throwing a hook ball, etc. As long as you improved your average from the first class to the last class and could hand score a game, you got an A.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gabe on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:12 pm

60sixx wrote:I love bowling. I'm not good at it, but I love it. I joined a women's league (luckily, I'm a woman) a few years back. I'm the youngest member by about 15-20 years - most of the women are 60s, a few 70s. My current average is 112, with a high game of 141 on the season.

I actually took bowling in college as one of my required phys ed classes. It was pretty funny - you'd meet at the local bowling alley, line up like a big chorus line on the lanes, and pretend bowl to get your form. We practiced some stuff like 3-step bowling, 4-step bowling, throwing a hook ball, etc. As long as you improved your average from the first class to the last class and could hand score a game, you got an A.

my first year of college was spent at a community college in Minnesota. we had to take 2 physical education classes. I took golf and archery. My experience is much the same. Line up, mime the activity, and improve the score by the end of the course. Had a fun time, and a couple easy 4.0's on the transcript. Boosted my GPA for transfer.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Bowling at Penn State was no joke. I cruised through all my other Phys Ed classes with easy As but struggled to get a B in bowling. You had to get a certain average. I forget what it was but I barely skated through with a B. Screwed up my GPA that semester. :lol:

Apparently, the lanes at Rec Hall were taken out in the mid-90s per http://www.imakenews.com/psaanews/e_art ... ?x=b11,0,w.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby OutofFoil on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:28 am

Differential Equations and Organic Chemistry are what screwed my GPA up.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:03 am

When are the LGP bowling shirts going to be available?
I'd buy one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR