Conan Shows How the Main Stream Media is Scripted

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Conan Shows How the Main Stream Media is Scripted

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:14 am

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83754317/

Notice that NBC, ABC, and CBS affiliates are all reporting the story the same exact way. Makes you wonder.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Conan Shows How the Main Stream Media is Scripted

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:17 am

#TeamCoco
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:39 am

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that local affiliates recycled stories. Actually, considering the fact that most local news reporters can't spit out a sentence without fowling it up, I'd be pretty horrified to see what they would write if it was left up to them. ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:52 am

Rush has a montage at least once a week on his show going between all the evening network and cable news programs replaying their stenographed "reporting." No matter what the issue of the week is - there is a narrative constructed with heros and villians and facts that support it are reported and ones that don't are ignored. Nobody actually asks questions, they just comment on whether such and such event will hurt or help the "character" they are discussing.

This piece is a few years old, but it details how Rahm Emmanuel held a daily conference call with former Democrat operatives that were then working in media to plan coverage of the days events. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/18011.html
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:54 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Rush

I always turn to him for objective analysis of current events.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:54 am

Can't **** a ****
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:59 am

From the comments at the above link:

I work for a news station. The way it works is the Associated Press give various stories to local news stations, in the form of a complete story. Since this story does not belong to the local news station, they must repeat the story, line for line, as given to them by the Associated Press. Yes, half the news is scripted because it's required by law, or else it's plagiarism.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:09 am

columbia wrote:

That wasn't my point - he usually throws the Fox News gang in there too. The point is that the greater news media looks at the days events as part of a narrative that they construct. They squeeze the events to fit their story. Andy McCarthy recently wrote a great piece about it at National Review:

Politics is our reality. It only seems like soap opera because of the way it is covered: Right into your living room, day-in-day-out, celebrity journalists present the adventures of their fellow dramatis personae, celebrity pols. The journalists portray politics, moreover, as suspense, and not just such suspense as the news of the day may warrant by dint of its relative seriousness — an earthquake, the outbreak of a war, or the specter of millions losing health-insurance plans they were promised they could keep. The continuing suspense lies in the practice of politics.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/3 ... -mccarthy#!
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:12 am

I understand there will normally be a media narrative, coming from somewhere.

What Rush's montage usually highlight for me is the word choice. They will literally all use the same exact phrase or choice of words to describe something. Again - say what you want about Rush, but when you listen to the montage, you are not listening to Rush, you are listening to all the various major news outlets as well as the cable news outlets like Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc) and it's awfully odd how they all seem to latch on to the same exact phrase to repeat over and over again.

The clip Conan shows is as mentioned, the AP story just being repeated.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:16 am

And Rush says the same things that they say on FOX News and in the Weekly Standard and in Reason and in the National Review and as the Rush-clones on local talk radio, etc.

I rarely watch "the news", but it's usually News Hour on PBS.
BBC America and Al Jazeera America also do a reasonable job.....the rest of them are for the birds.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Factorial on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:17 am

Big surprise that MSNBC, FOX, and CNN commentary is not news. If you want actual news listen to NPR, watch the News Hour on PBS, read the hard news section of the WSJ, Washington Post, or NYT.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:28 am

Factorial wrote:Big surprise that MSNBC, FOX, and CNN commentary is not news. If you want actual news listen to NPR, watch the News Hour on PBS, read the hard news section of the WSJ, Washington Post, or NYT.

Its not just MSNBC, Fox, CNN.. its ABC, NBC, CBS. I've found the other outlets you've mentioned are just as bad as the cable news outlets in terms of either ignoring large stories (Washington Post reporter saying Kermit Gosnell is a "local crime story", really?) or pushing the same typical narratives.

Honestly - I think the best thing is to go straight for the opinion pieces from both sides (or a non flame fest political thread) and try to hash it out from there, I'd much rather have that then say being told I'm getting "all the news fit to print" or "fair and balanced".

I guess do that or if I want to feel like a hipster, go watch John Stewart make funny faces.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:29 am

Same thing with newspapers. They're just recycling wire stories to fill time. Has been going on for hundreds of years with different mediums...cute, but not at all a conspiracy or anything shocking or what have you...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:30 am

columbia wrote:And Rush says the same things that they say on FOX News and in the Weekly Standard and in Reason and in the National Review and as the Rush-clones on local talk radio, etc.

This is very true as well, I wonder if it's harder to be a political radio commentator for the fact that you have to read article after article in order to have material to talk about the next day than it is to be gifted enough to talk for a few hours a day without sounding like you are reading a teleprompter the whole time.

Show prep sounds pretty annoying, but I guess with the internet it's far easier to do today than it was years ago, then again lord knows what you read on the internet these days.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:32 am

So basically go find news sources you agree with, then go argue those points and site said source as a reference?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:33 am

mikey287 wrote:Same thing with newspapers. They're just recycling wire stories to fill time. Has been going on for hundreds of years with different mediums...cute, but not at all a conspiracy or anything shocking or what have you...

We need to go back to fun politics, where ghost writers attacked candidates, and used awesome pen names to hide their true identity.

With TV, we could turn it into WWE style theatrics, and have Jim Ross announce it.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:37 am

Troy Loney wrote:So basically go find news sources you agree with, then go argue those points and site said source as a reference?

Of course argue the points, and see what points the other side argues with... perhaps once in a while they actually do make a good point. Arguing is a good thing. I would say someone who understands both partisan viewpoints is far more informed than someone who is convinced they've got the 5 w's.

Of course I think this is way easier to do in person than it is to do on a message board. I got a guy here at work with a different political viewpoint, and we talk about things once in a while. never gets heated, and I think in the end good points are made by all.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:52 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
Factorial wrote:Big surprise that MSNBC, FOX, and CNN commentary is not news. If you want actual news listen to NPR, watch the News Hour on PBS, read the hard news section of the WSJ, Washington Post, or NYT.

Its not just MSNBC, Fox, CNN.. its ABC, NBC, CBS. I've found the other outlets you've mentioned are just as bad as the cable news outlets in terms of either ignoring large stories (Washington Post reporter saying Kermit Gosnell is a "local crime story", really?) or pushing the same typical narratives.

Honestly - I think the best thing is to go straight for the opinion pieces from both sides (or a non flame fest political thread) and try to hash it out from there, I'd much rather have that then say being told I'm getting "all the news fit to print" or "fair and balanced".

I guess do that or if I want to feel like a hipster, go watch John Stewart make funny faces.

I don't watch John Stewart so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

As for Kermet Gosnel, what exactly is your beef with the Washington Post's coverage of it as a news story. It's certainly been covered and mentioned in their pages:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/newssearc ... mit=Submit

Is it because they didn't cover it repeatedly as hard news within the context of current abortion laws? The story has nothing to do with abortion laws.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Anyone who doesn't watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is missing out on the most important political and social commentary of this generation, IMO.

There are people who claim to get their news only from The Daily Show, which is silly (as Jon Stewart often says), but it doesn't diminish the brilliance of the analysis. The fact that it's done with wit and hilarity (most of the time) is icing on the cake.

Again, IMO.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:44 pm

PDT Redux, Volume XVII
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:58 pm

redwill wrote:Anyone who doesn't watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is missing out on the most important political and social commentary of this generation, IMO.

There are people who claim to get their news only from The Daily Show, which is silly (as Jon Stewart often says), but it doesn't diminish the brilliance of the analysis. The fact that it's done with wit and hilarity (most of the time) is icing on the cake.

Again, IMO.

QFT. Some of the most brilliant satire of my lifetime. And Colbert, too.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Good grief. There is no "objective" news. Probably never was, at least beyond the local variety. It's always written/spoken by someone(s) with very distinct political views and it's pretty easy to spot once you realize what's going on.

The ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN/MSNBC/DailyShow etceteras are totally leftist. Nothing wrong with that.

FoxNews isn't 'fair and balanced'; it's just different from the leftist sources, and is what the majority of viewers agree with, according to ratings of the past umpteen years. If it was fair and balanced, you'd see way more leftist opinions presented in non debate settings, but you don't. And you won't.

Right wing talk radio is right wing; nothing wrong with that; except that leftists constantly try to silence them with hypocritical bs pc tactics that they have no problem holding as sabres when they sniff out the same injustices in the world.

Bottom line is that if you think your news is the 'correct' news, you're an idiot. Just like it for what it is, have fun debating people who don't agree with you, then shut up.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm

lol
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Troy Loney wrote:lol

x2
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:52 pm

columbia wrote:

Started hitting the eggnog a little early today, eh? :lol:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to NHR