Anyone still waiting on UPS/Fed Ex to deliver Xmas gifts?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone still waiting on UPS/Fed Ex to deliver Xmas gifts

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:15 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Christmas on a Wednesday is the worst day for shippers, especially those that only run M-F

Why aren't packages delivered on the weekend? I would have assumed it costs less to deliver than to let things stack up for several days.

They dont pick up on weekends either so it doesnt really stack up on them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:26 pm

I ordered from the same website twice earlier this month. Both shipments were sent via UPS. One on 12/3, the other on 12/9. They both arrived on 12/13. No damage done in the long run, but I was getting nervous when the first one's status hadn't changed for like a week.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:38 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Christmas on a Wednesday is the worst day for shippers, especially those that only run M-F

Why aren't packages delivered on the weekend? I would have assumed it costs less to deliver than to let things stack up for several days.

It's more pickups aren't done on Saturdays. FedEx home delivery delivers Saturdays. These drivers load their own vans too and do no pickups.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Twisted Wrister on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:33 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:

Because most drivers already work 60 hours before Thursday and they are not really allowed to go over that.
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:35 am

I blame the online retailers. I was getting emails last Friday saying "Its not too late! Order today and get free 2 day shipping!"

I saw on the news that online sales were up 30% over last year. I'm sure the delivery companies couldn't anticipate the increase and were overwhelmed.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:39 am

My jersey is at the destination sort facility as of last night @ 10PM. Just curious how long it will sit there? The arrival date is still at New Years Eve.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 am

CERV96 wrote:My jersey is at the destination sort facility as of last night @ 10PM. Just curious how long it will sit there? The arrival date is still at New Years Eve.

What does it say on your tracking #? If it still says New Years Eve, it will probably sit there for a few days. Maybe a day early if you are lucky I would guess. Lots of backlog to go through plus new stuff, plus they probably won't be in a hurry if your delivery date is New Years eve. Hope I'm wrong though.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:53 am

I figured they will have it sit there. I should have just ordered it in person at the arena and picked it up on my way home from work. I saw the 10% discount and free shipping so I bit on it and went that route.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:29 am

Where is the destination facility, and what carrier? If it's FXG PM me the trk ID and I can guesstimate.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:31 am

Twisted Wrister wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

Because most drivers already work 60 hours before Thursday and they are not really allowed to go over that.

For UPS this may be true, but the only restrictions on FedEx Ground/HD drivers are you cannot work more than 2 14 hour days in a rolling 8 day week. These are DOT regulations not FedEx. Since drivers are independent contractors their entity determines their workloads, but it would not be uncommon for guys to work 4 - 12 hour days and 2 - 14 hour days in a 5 day week.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 am

I prefer UPS because the sort facility is about 5 miles from my house (Havelock, NC) whereas FedEx dispatches a truck from Wilmington, NC which is two hours away when they have to deliver something overnight or 2nd day. Any other package that comes from FedEX gets dumped at the post office at their leisure.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 am

#firstworldproblems
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:13 pm

mac5155 wrote:Where is the destination facility, and what carrier? If it's FXG PM me the trk ID and I can guesstimate.

I just looked it up. It's less than a 5 minute drive from my house. I requested them to hold it there. It's on route 60 @ cargo building 2. It beats waiting 4 more days for it to come to my door.

Update: 5 minutes later. I get a phone call saying the package is not there yet even though the tracking order says it is. She said it will be in on Monday most likely. So I guess I shaved a day off at least.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm sick of people blaming consumers for ordering "late" when they are told they can get shipments before Christmas and the delivery companies go along with it.

If a retailer says I can order Friday and get it on Tuesday and UPS agrees I better have it by Tuesday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:59 pm

I ordered a part for my car Monday afternoon. Delivered today. Shipped UPS ground Tennessee to Pittsburgh. Not bad considering Xmas day was in between.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm fairly certain that after the last two months of Amazon Prime, the UPS delivery guy could identify our home with his eyes closed
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:05 am

DelPen wrote:I'm sick of people blaming consumers for ordering "late" when they are told they can get shipments before Christmas and the delivery companies go along with it.

If a retailer says I can order Friday and get it on Tuesday and UPS agrees I better have it by Tuesday.

I dunno man, having worked for a retailer I think this is like walking on thin ice. You have every right to expect it to be there, but there are so many unforeseen circumstances that could pop up - like the item not actually being in stock.

You weren't promised it by a human with a name and a face that can help you and check the stock and then hand it to you - those exist at brick and mortar locations. theres no way a reasonable person could assume that an item could be shipped across the country with no chance of a hold up. what if a truck crashes? or plane is diverted due to weather? what about these animals holding up delivery drivers at gunpoint? or the mom with two sick kids?

I just see all the outrage by people at the shipping companies as extremely materialistic and kind of pathetic. if you went into a restaurant on a night that they were way over crowded and they cooked your steak well and gave you the wrong salad dressing would it surprise you? you'd be entitled to some degree of recourse but it shouldn't shock you.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 pm

DelPen wrote:I'm sick of people blaming consumers for ordering "late" when they are told they can get shipments before Christmas and the delivery companies go along with it.

The problem is, UPS/Fedex tell Amazon "if you get us the package by 2 PM on Monday it will be in zip 15210 by Wednesday" for example. So Amazon tells their consumers this, which may be true 51 weeks out of the year. But the week of christmas, this might not be true due to high volumes (and I am certain that the guarantees dont apply for certain days and retailers know this). Shippers arent going to purchase transportation or anything to make up for these weeks; it isnt profitable to expect a company to build their model around 1 week of the year. What I do know is this: When I get an email the Monday before christmas at 2 PM saying it's still not too late to order, I have the knowledge to call BS. There is no possible way that the warehouse can receive, select and package my order and get it to the carrier in time. No logical way. The blame goes all around, but retailers need to take the lionshare of it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Mac, is it WalMart company policy to not price match their own website?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:07 pm

canaan wrote:Mac, is it WalMart company policy to not price match their own website?

Seems like it. "Online price vs. store price" but I have played stupid with them saying, "I don't understand, it makes no sense, aren't you Wal-mart?" and eventually they get exasperated and give me the web price.

YMMV
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:22 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
canaan wrote:Mac, is it WalMart company policy to not price match their own website?

Seems like it. "Online price vs. store price" but I have played stupid with them saying, "I don't understand, it makes no sense, aren't you Wal-mart?" and eventually they get exasperated and give me the web price.

YMMV

I can't speak to Wal-Mart, but where I worked the store and the website were completely separate legal entities with [almost] completely seperate logistics chains.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:28 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:

YMMV

I can't speak to Wal-Mart, but where I worked the store and the website were completely separate legal entities with [almost] completely seperate logistics chains.

Ditto for when I worked at VZW. Online pricing and store pricing was hardly ever the same. Online pricing was almost always cheaper because way less overhead to the process. They were treated as different entities pretty much like Pit is referring to.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:32 pm

It just seems like an idiotic business practice to not match the price they have online, but they'll do free site-to-store of that better price.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:53 pm

canaan wrote:It just seems like an idiotic business practice to not match the price they have online, but they'll do free site-to-store of that better price.

Sears does it because they want to close all the stores down and need you to get comfortable ordering online. Seriously - that's why Shop Your Way rewards email address collection is their #1 priority (narrowly edging out extended warranty sales and charge card signups). Eddie Lampert bought the company in 2005 for the real estate it owned. He never had any interest running a retail operation.

The whole plan was/is to turn Sears into Amazon 2 and sell off the stores (the original plan was to use them as leveragable assets). Its just that their website is a sad joke and after 2008 happened and the real estate isn't as valuable anymore.

Try this: Call your local Sears store with a 412/724 number. Ask for electronics. You will get a call center in Chicago. They are part of the same entity as the website is. Say you saw on the website that they have a single Xbox One in stock and you'd like to verify that its there before driving over. You *think* a salesperson is going to look in a stock room or on a shelf for it because you called Ross Park Mall. You don't realize this poor guy in the call center is desperate to make a sale and has no way to check that. So he looks on the website and sees one in stock. Hes so helpful that he will charge your credit card and sell it to you on the spot - pick it up later this evening. When you get there you find out they have no Xbox One (the one in stock is the floor demo), haven't had one in weeks, and that website orders cannot be refunded same day.

This exact situation happened Christmas 2010 when a man drove from Indiana County to the Pittsburgh Mills to pick up a gift he ordered that didn't exist.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 pm

My wife says yes but YMMV as I've tried successfully before
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR