Anyone still waiting on UPS/Fed Ex to deliver Xmas gifts?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone still waiting on UPS/Fed Ex to deliver Xmas gifts

Postby canaan on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Dear god, that is horrific, ps33

also, thanks for the info, mac
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Try this: Call your local Sears store with a 412/724 number. Ask for electronics. You will get a call center in Chicago. They are part of the same entity as the website is. Say you saw on the website that they have a single Xbox One in stock and you'd like to verify that its there before driving over. You *think* a salesperson is going to look in a stock room or on a shelf for it because you called Ross Park Mall. You don't realize this poor guy in the call center is desperate to make a sale and has no way to check that. So he looks on the website and sees one in stock. Hes so helpful that he will charge your credit card and sell it to you on the spot - pick it up later this evening. When you get there you find out they have no Xbox One (the one in stock is the floor demo), haven't had one in weeks, and that website orders cannot be refunded same day.

This exact situation happened Christmas 2010 when a man drove from Indiana County to the Pittsburgh Mills to pick up a gift he ordered that didn't exist.

Best Buy gets maligned all the time at Consumerist and I guess I'm not sure why- I have bought a lot of things there and never had a real problem. Sometimes their price is good, sometimes it's not and I go somewhere else. One thing they do really well is their online in store pickup. Website says it's in stock, you order it, and an actual person goes and gets it, and you get a confirmation email that it's there.

I bought my wife a camera for Christmas, nearest place the one I really wanted was in stock was Boardman. 30 miles away, not terrible. Got an email about 1/2 hour after ordering it at 11 on Sunday night saying they didn't actually have it. I was a little ticked but at least I hadn't driven there before I found out. (they did not cancel the bag and memory card that went with the package when they didn't have the camera, duh, but all I had to do was not pick it up).

Then, found an alternative that was supposed to be in stock at the New Castle K-Mart (aka Sears). Was up there anyway, figured I'd stop by. No floor model by the price tag on the display, no person at the electronics counter to help. Went back to the office, still showed in stock. Ordered it on line, sure enough they had one. Stopped and picked up on the way home. So, in this instance the site did work for me, but if I had been just out shopping and decided to buy a camera as an impulse buy, no sale.

Sears/K-Mart is the bottom of the barrel for customer service as far as I'm concerned. I think they stay open only based on Kenmore appliances and Craftsman tools. I don't really see any other redeeming reason to shop there.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Interesting tidbit I learned today. Shippers were transmitting electronic package information 3-5 days before tendering the actual package to the intended recipient. In essence, they were shoving all the angry customers onto the shipping company's customer service.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm still waiting for a gift from Amazon someone bought for me. They bought it on the 16th. I'm guessing one of the items wasn't in stock and they haven't shipped any of it yet.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm

dodint wrote:I'm still waiting for a gift from Amazon someone bought for me. They bought it on the 16th. I'm guessing one of the items wasn't in stock and they haven't shipped any of it yet.

I think amazon gives you the option if you buy multiple items to wait and ship together or to separate for faster shipping...so you can ask and find out. I would definitely talk to amazon for a status
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm

I think if it is going to take too long though they will ship partials.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 pm

the option for multiple shipments comes at a premium price IIRC.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:17 am

Didn't know where to put this, but here seems like a good choice. Pretty cool video:

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:59 am

Turns out Amazon shipped it with that half-assed FedEx to USPS handoff, and I never got it. FedEx rarely delivers in person here because the nearest hub is in Wilmington which is two hours away. My sister claims Amazon told her they delivered it on the 24th, but my wife was home that day and we didn't get any parcels. Boo.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:18 am

you probably got free super saver shipping. that's not time sensitive.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:21 am

Right. But Amazon claims it was delivered by the USPS. But the USPS is a black hole which is why I never send anything through them, ever. I don't really care that I lost out on two BD movies and a Bosch manual on rebuilding brakes. I feel bad my little sister spent the money on it and now it's sitting under some USPS conveyer belt gathering dust somewhere.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:22 am

File a claim with Amazon, their customer service is pretty good.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

And start doing all of your online shopping through them and get amazon prime. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:27 am

I have Amazon Prime. It's epic, and they use UPS almost exclusively.

I guess I should gift my sister a Prime membership so I can get my own gifts on time twice a year?
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 am

There are like 7 people using my membership.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:34 am

My father-in-law won't get a computer because he thinks the government will track his activity, but has no problem calling my wife and asking that I go on Amazon and Prime him a very specific pair or Wranglers every few months. Amazons reach is pretty amazing in that regard.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:40 am

Haha.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:There are like 7 people using my membership.

I think I am up to 6
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens9192 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 pm

If you have any shipping problems with UPS, FedEx, etc. you can complain to them of course but make sure you complain to the place you purchased the item from. The retailer is UPS, Fed Ex, etc's direct customer. Amazon pays UPS to send stuff to you and Amazon passes the price on to you. They and other retailers (I assume) track shipping complaints and can use that data in contract negotiations with the shipper.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR