Hey Colorado, easy on the munchies.

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hey Colorado, easy on the munchies.

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:42 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:We drug test

As do I. I test a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Glad we're on the same page.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:10 am

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:We drug test

As do I. I test a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Glad we're on the same page.

Somehow, I see a limited customer line of site job for you on this project.

"Do you drug test here?"

"Yes, before you start."

"Good, gives me enough time to study."
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 am

reminds me of Out Cold:

Eric: Welcome to your first random drug test!
Pigpen: I don't have to write a test to tell you I do drugs...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 am

count2infinity wrote:reminds me of Out Cold:

Eric: Welcome to your first random drug test!
Pigpen: I don't have to write a test to tell you I do drugs...

Love that movie.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Colorado Symphony targets pot smokers:

The cultural revolution that is making marijuana part of everyday Denver life conquered another established front Tuesday as the Colorado Symphony Orchestra announced a series of performances sponsored by the cannabis industry.

While acknowledging that the arrangement is unusual, even ground-breaking, CSO executive director Jerry Kern said the concerts will help the orchestra reach beyond its conservative, fine arts demographic while raising money for an organization that has struggled financially in recent years.

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment ... ert-series
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Far out fluting man....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:00 pm

I guess they'll perform some Berlioz, if they want to pull in the opium crowd.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm sick and tired of the influence and power of Big Cannabis
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:32 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm sick and tired of the influence and power of Big Cannabis

:)

Should be interesting as legalization spreads to see if "Big Pot" happens. I have a feeling it won't happen ala big oil, pharma, tobacco, etc. My guess is it will be more like the craft brew industry.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:33 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm sick and tired of the influence and power of Big Cannabis

They're everywhere!!!

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri May 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Don't Giggle: A Sane Marijuana Law Really Passed in the House
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... aw/371875/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 30, 2014 9:50 pm

columbia wrote:Don't Giggle: A Sane Marijuana Law Really Passed in the House
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... aw/371875/

there's a video of the debate/unofficial vote on youtube. the opposing arguments were comical, on the verge of infuriating. and i'm a non-user.

when they did the yay-or-nay thing, there were a bunch of yes's and like 2 no's, but whoever was doing the tally (the speaker of the house? i don't follow this stuff) said that the no's were the majority, despite clear evidence of the contrary. then they did an open ballot vote and it passed. is this common, where if the speaker doesn't like the outcome, he just lies about who had more yays or nays?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:25 am

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06/col ... me-10.html

Not counting medicinal weed sales, Colorado sold nearly $19 million in their recreational weed market in the month of March, and $1.9 million of that goes straight into government coffers and towards building schools. At this pace, according to PolicyMic, Colorado will make $30 million this year in pot taxes alone.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:35 pm

count2infinity wrote:http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06/colorado-sells-19-million-cannabis-march-1-9-million-goes-schools-crime-10.html

Not counting medicinal weed sales, Colorado sold nearly $19 million in their recreational weed market in the month of March, and $1.9 million of that goes straight into government coffers and towards building schools. At this pace, according to PolicyMic, Colorado will make $30 million this year in pot taxes alone.

Serious, not trying to be contrarian question: how much of that $30 million are they spending in regulating/overseeing the sale of recreational marijuana. It sounds like when companies report $10B in revenue!!! Means nothing until you see their expenses in terms of profit.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:38 pm

no clue... also, how much money are they not spending on arresting people buying/selling marijuana and paying for their food and whatnot in jail, etc.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:39 pm

They dont require any oversight besides checking IDs for age, do they?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:46 pm

bhaw wrote:
count2infinity wrote:http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06/colorado-sells-19-million-cannabis-march-1-9-million-goes-schools-crime-10.html

Serious, not trying to be contrarian question: how much of that $30 million are they spending in regulating/overseeing the sale of recreational marijuana. It sounds like when companies report $10B in revenue!!! Means nothing until you see their expenses in terms of profit.

do you think it's really a significant amount? vendors probably have to pass an initial inspection (which they may have to pay for). from there, I'm sure they need to re-certify periodically. but again, it's possible that they pay for it. there are some clerical tasks and maybe spot inspections (like a board of health inspecting a restaurant) that need performed, which would be a state expense. however, the money that the state was formerly spending on marijuana prohibition would dwarf the new administrative expenses, i'm sure.

though speaking of regulation...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/03/maureen-dowd-tries-marijuana_n_5442224.html

while i think the subtext of the original article is supremely lame, it does bring up a valid point that vendors need to provide some sort of standard potency indicator on edibles, oils, etc. there's no reason you should sell a single cookie that has up to 16 doses in it. especially when that's not indicated.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Kaizer wrote:They dont require any oversight besides checking IDs for age, do they?

dispensaries have to comply with a number of policies. mainly relating to physical security and inventory tracking. the fact that they only collect cash and they have a valuable commodity behind their doors means they'd be a serious target for theft.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Sign me up for the cookie with 16 doses, and clear my schedule
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:26 am

A store near my house was raided for selling pot and artificial pot. It sucks because they had dirt cheap munchies.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:48 pm

pot now decriminalized in DC. it's something like a $25 ticket if you get busted for possession. similar policy goes in affect in a few months in Maryland. looks like DC will be voting on outright legalization in November. things are moving pretty fast at the state level. the feds will move a little slower, i think. while it looks like they're officially ending the raids of state-approved facilities, i don't think they're very close to considering outright decriminalization or legalization any time soon. my guess would be that they'll just let the states do whatever they want and leave it at that for a looooooong time. i think, at best, they'll remove it from the schedule 1 narcotic list within the next few years so it can be officially researched. at that point, i bet there will be a CBD (a non-psychoactive chemical in weed that helps with epilepsy and a few other conditions) drug released by big pharma for nationwide consumption. this "drug" is already gaining traction in more conservative states.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:51 pm

The best thing that happened from Colorado is that nothing really happened other than the state raked in the cash. I'm sure many state legislators are seeing what's happening and will likely follow suit soon.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm

count2infinity wrote:The best thing that happened from Colorado is that nothing really happened other than the state raked in the cash. I'm sure many state legislators are seeing what's happening and will likely follow suit soon.

there were 2 deaths in colorado this year that they're attributing to marijuana. it's pretty dubious. one was a guy who shot his wife and the other was a college kid who jumped off a balcony. i acknowledge that being intoxicated may have contributed to these deaths, but to call it the official cause is weak.

the red states are going to hold out for a while, i think - despite all common sense. as long as they can get on a morality high horse, state governments will be justified, in their opinion, for continuing prohibition.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

shmenguin wrote:pot now decriminalized in DC. it's something like a $25 ticket if you get busted for possession. similar policy goes in affect in a few months in Maryland. looks like DC will be voting on outright legalization in November. things are moving pretty fast at the state level. the feds will move a little slower, i think. while it looks like they're officially ending the raids of state-approved facilities, i don't think they're very close to considering outright decriminalization or legalization any time soon. my guess would be that they'll just let the states do whatever they want and leave it at that for a looooooong time. i think, at best, they'll remove it from the schedule 1 narcotic list within the next few years so it can be officially researched. at that point, i bet there will be a CBD (a non-psychoactive chemical in weed that helps with epilepsy and a few other conditions) drug released by big pharma for nationwide consumption. this "drug" is already gaining traction in more conservative states.

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:
count2infinity wrote:The best thing that happened from Colorado is that nothing really happened other than the state raked in the cash. I'm sure many state legislators are seeing what's happening and will likely follow suit soon.

there were 2 deaths in colorado this year that they're attributing to marijuana. it's pretty dubious. one was a guy who shot his wife and the other was a college kid who jumped off a balcony. i acknowledge that being intoxicated may have contributed to these deaths, but to call it the official cause is weak.

the red states are going to hold out for a while, i think - despite all common sense. as long as they can get on a morality high horse, state governments will be justified, in their opinion, for continuing prohibition.

I'm curious as to how many people in that time died while being intoxicated on alcohol (driving, OD, etc.) just for a comparison stand point.

I certainly agree red states will hold out for a while.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR