"I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

"I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:01 pm

This article, written by Chris Kluwe describes what happened through his 2012 NFL year. It's interesting to see his side of the story. I remember hearing they (the vikings) drafted a punter in the 5th round and was pretty shocked about that. I can't wait to read the responses coming from the Minnesota Vikings organization.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player ... 1493208214
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: "I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm

The Steelers should sign Chris Kluwe.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:21 pm

I can't speak to whether this is "the truth", but it sure wouldn't surprise me if it were.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Read this earlier today. I agree with col, that I don't have a hard time believing this is how it played out. (And why) His candor regarding Priefer is very interesting.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm

I think its awesome.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:53 pm

columbia wrote:I can't speak to whether this is "the truth", but it sure wouldn't surprise me if it were.

This.

And while I think Crankshaft was joking, I did think the Steelers should have at the least given him a tryout. After reading this, I'm wondering if he was blackballed.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Just had this discussion with somebody on FB. I wouldn't be opposed the Steelers bringing him on a tryout. If you've seen the Steelers cap situation and the free agent pool for punters, more than likely it will result in one of two things: bringing in somebody who has been on the streets for a year (i.e. Kluwe) or drafting a punter. The only players available in free agency are Pat McAfee (makes $3m), Moorman (who punted worse than McBriar), the punter from the Eagles that had worse numbers than Kluwe's 2012 season, and the previously mentioned McBriar that finished 32nd in punting average.

But as far as whether what Kluwe said is true or not, I don't know. Like most of these stories that surface, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Let me preface this by saying I was a fan of the guy. Seemed like a good guy on twitter who didn't seem like the typical football player, he put up good numbers for most of his career in MIN, but was very vocal about his beliefs. However, there are ways of showing your beliefs and then there is Kluwe's way. I don't know whether he was cut or not because he had a strong belief in helping the LGBT community, but I'm sure making mention that "being gay doesn't turn you into a lustful (rooster)-monster" isn't the message the Vikings want associated with their team. Even the Ray Guy HOF incident, which although harmless to me, might be looked as insubordination within the team. He was told to remove the tape covering the HOF patch, and Kluwe said no; that the fine will be worth it.

But what's also is left out that he was a punter in his 30s with a high salary ($1.6m in 2012) that was in the lower tier of NFL punters statistically and coming off of knee surgery. 22nd in average, 31st in punts inside the 20, T-30 for touchbacks. The Vikings basically went out and found a punter that was less outspoken that could put up the same numbers for 1/4 the salary.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
columbia wrote:I can't speak to whether this is "the truth", but it sure wouldn't surprise me if it were.

This.

And while I think Crankshaft was joking, I did think the Steelers should have at the least given him a tryout. After reading this, I'm wondering if he was blackballed.

I was serious. The punters that the Steelers trolled out there were a joke. If his numbers would have translated into the top third of punters, they could have used him.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 pm

llipgh2 wrote:

This.

He was with the Raiders organization in training camp and was released.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

This.

I was serious. The punters that the Steelers trolled out there were a joke. If his numbers would have translated into the top third of punters, they could have used him.

He wasn't in the top third of punters in 2012.

Kluwe may be right. The Vikings may be right. Both could be right.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:05 pm

I think a Deadspin commenter may have said it best, it seems like Kluwe's activism is starting to become more about Kluwe than whatever cause he supports.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm

So, other coaches who get hammered on special teams won't take this guy despite him consistently putting ball 45 yards into the air with hang time (according to his words) because of gay rights. it makes sense.

As for punters, in a salary cap era - you can be in the top half, but because of what your vet min will be - my guess is that there are cheaper options that don't cost much in the way of punting avg.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 pm

On the other hand.

Vet min is something like 840k for an 8th year guy.
Steelers paid Moorman 900k+, and Kluwe had better numbers than Moorman
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan1989 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm

I think Kluwe's activism was becoming a distraction to the team, and that's what led to it.

It's not so much about what he stood for, but how he stood for it.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:I think Kluwe's activism was becoming a distraction to the team, and that's what led to it.

I would imagine that's what the Vikings front office may release. I know there will be a HUGE uproar from the LGBT community about this no matter how the Vikings and the coaches named respond.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:20 pm

I believe everything he said in that article, but yeah i think a lot about their problem with him was how vocal he was. I assume there is some biggotry involved as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 pm

How vocal was he? I honestly don't know.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Gaucho wrote:How vocal was he? I honestly don't know.

I don't doubt Kluwe's dedication to his causes, but he has always struck me as a vocal self-promoter, especially through sites like Reddit. It's one of those cases where I agree with the cause he champions, but I start to wonder about his motives.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:How vocal was he? I honestly don't know.

He's very vocal.

Click on the link in the story regarding the letter he wrote to the Baltimore politician who said a Ravens player should be cut for publicly supporting gay marriage. It's wonderful. I started following him on Twitter shortly after that.

He is also a published author. "Beautiful Unique Sparkleponies". Don't let the title scare you off LOL.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 pm

He seems like a good guy and I enjoyed the article. He's right: If no one ever says anything, nothing ever changes.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 pm

if you haven't google and read some of Kluwe's articles. IMO he is a really really good writer, funny and well written. i have no doubt 100% from reading his articles/columns/ he wrote in the Minny paper and following him on twitter that he is telling the truth.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:I think Kluwe's activism was becoming a distraction to the team, and that's what led to it.

Distraction how? Were teammates upset by it?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 pm

MWB wrote:

Distraction how? Were teammates upset by it?

My guess is like Shaf pensfan1989 disagrees with what he's pushing.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan1989 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Whether you disagree with a cause or not, if someone is using their position to push for that at work, it draws away from what your job is.

When I was working for a construction company in New York, and the unions were taking sides in the battle over the ground zero mosque, we were told specifically not to accept any literature/hard hat stickers from either side. I'm not sure that this is the best comparison, but the point I'm making is that management didn't want us to draw unnecessary attention to the company for any reason.

Kluwe seemed to me like he was toeing a line that could be distracting to teammates/the team in general. Combine that with what was said above about his stats and salary implications, it's easy to see why they would want to get rid of him.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Minny may have had reasons to cut him related to salary, distraction, etc.

however, i have no doubt that what he claims coaches said is 100% accurate
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to NHR