"I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: "I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 pm

I agree with Kluwe because this is the same organization that more or less poo-pooed the sex boat scandal. Also, as far as the Steelers punter is concerned haven't they had like 48428 since Sepulveda?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Maybe the Bengals should have signed him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am

Factorial wrote:My guess is like Shaf pensfan1989 disagrees with what he's pushing.

Wait, are you saying I disagree with what he supports?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 am

Rocco wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
columbia wrote:I can't speak to whether this is "the truth", but it sure wouldn't surprise me if it were.

This.

And while I think Crankshaft was joking, I did think the Steelers should have at the least given him a tryout. After reading this, I'm wondering if he was blackballed.

He was with the Raiders organization in training camp and was released.

and the punter that won the job had the best yards per punt average in the league.

According to wiki, Kluwe was released in the last week of training camp. At that point, rosters were set around the league and the only thing he could do was wait. By the looks of it, there were 4 teams that brought in a replacement punter:
PIT - Started with Zoltan, who was released after 7 games. Replaced by McBriar.
BUF - Started with Shawn Powell, who was released after 5 games. Replaced by Brian Moorman, who had previously been with the team from 2001-12
CIN - Started with Kevin Huber, who was released after 14 games. Replaced by Powell, who was part of the Bills until week 5.
NYJ - Started with Robert Malone, who was released after 2 games. Replaced by Ryan Quigley, who had previously worked out with the team earlier in the year.

There were 3/4 of the punters who either had a history with the team that they signed with or they were at least active during the 2013 season. Is it possible that it was a numbers game where there were no available spots?

Edit: didn't know that Kluwe was also brought in by the Bears as a potential replacement for Adam Poldesh.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... for-bears/

the same Adam Poldesh who had a 40.3 yards per punt average, which was worst out of all NFL punters.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... fied/false
Last edited by JS© on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:42 am

My question is when have you ever heard of a players involvement in another cause being deemed a distraction? Has any player ever been accused of causing distractions with his support of, let's say, cancer?

Sadly the stereotype of football players\coaches being on the homophobic side are more often true than they aren't. So the iidea of the coach in question saying the things he is accused of saying is hardly far fetched. Before I posted this I took a look at the You Can Play website and the different videos they have supporting their cause and there is an extreme lack of football support at any level. (Also a lack of basketball support as well). It was a quick glance, so correct me if I was wrong.

It's not out of the question that his involvement in this cause led to his being cut, same could be said of his stats.

Too much he said she said in this that will never be proven either way.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 am

Factorial wrote:
MWB wrote:
pensfan1989 wrote:I think Kluwe's activism was becoming a distraction to the team, and that's what led to it.

It's not so much about what he stood for, but how he stood for it.

Distraction how? Were teammates upset by it?

My guess is like Shaf pensfan1989 disagrees with what he's pushing.

Patrick Burke agrees with Kluwe and yet he understands it.

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 9h
In any sport if your media presence outstrips your production you get cut. Ask Chris Kluwe. Or Tim Tebow. It's not about the issues.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:01 am

There is a large segment of America that finds homosexuality abhorrent. I am not in that segment but the subject is a divisive one that brings out strong feelings on both sides. I don't know anyone that is pro-cancer. I don't fault a business if they don't want their employees to take a strong stance on either side of debate. I also wouldn't be surprised if the allegations are true.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 am

Well let's be honest, a player supporting cancer research isn't going to get a whole lot of press.
From the article, it seemed like tons of media outlets were reaching out to Kluwe during the season. I'm sure the Vikings PR staff were getting more than they bargained for.

As for his punting - who knows. He says his workouts were great, but that could be self promotion. Who knows what he was kicking after the injury. Special teams coaches aren't going to risk losing their job because they pass on a guy who can help them with his leg simply because he writes gay marriage articles.

If he could put up the same numbers he did before, the Steelers would be stupid to pass him up, field position has been atrocious punting wise for the past few years.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:How vocal was he? I honestly don't know.

I don't doubt Kluwe's dedication to his causes, but he has always struck me as a vocal self-promoter, especially through sites like Reddit. It's one of those cases where I agree with the cause he champions, but I start to wonder about his motives.

What about writing opinion pieces that get published is "self-promotion"? Doesn't that make anyone who writes and reaches a sizeable audience a self-promoter? It's not like he got a reality show or used those articles to leap into new business opportunities; in fact, it seems to be that his writing and stances have caused him professional and economic harm.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:10 am

It doesn't seem like he was cut exclusively because of his opinion on same sex marriage, but it's pretty naive to think, after reading his account, that it had nothing to do with the Vikings' decision. I'd say it made their decision to go with the younger and cheaper option easier.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:39 am

Factorial wrote:
MWB wrote:
pensfan1989 wrote:I think Kluwe's activism was becoming a distraction to the team, and that's what led to it.

It's not so much about what he stood for, but how he stood for it.

Distraction how? Were teammates upset by it?

My guess is like Shaf pensfan1989 disagrees with what he's pushing.

lol, how can you say that based on the comments? They both said that it's likely nothing at all to do with what he was pushing, but HOW he was pushing.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 am

Let's be honest, it's not like this guy was an angel or NFL darling.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/371/788/kluwe2_original.jpg

Look at the crap Mendenhall stirred with his twitter account.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 am

I'll preface it by saying that he's 37 years old, but fellow LGBT rights advocate Brendon Ayanbadejo was released by the Ravens in April and went this past season unsigned despite 2012 being the best season of his career.

Then there is the previously discussed apparent blacklisting of pretty damn good possibly gay safety Kerry Rhodes.

http://deadspin.com/is-the-nfl-blacklisting-kerry-rhodes-1300128496

And while I do agree with Kluwe's opinion that his vocal support of his beliefs resulted in him losing his job and going unsigned, I also feel like he's a loud mouth self serving d-bag who doesn't spread his message and beliefs in a professional manner. Middle of the road punters don't survive by drawing attention to themselves.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 am

He was in the bottom third of the league in most statistical categories. He was older and had a higher vet minimum salary. Making a case to replace him based on statistics and money doesnt seem to be a stretch.

Kluwe was a media darling after his crass and profane article was published. They ate him up on Buzzfeed, Huffing and Puffington, MSNBC, Pro Football Talk, etc.

Had he written such a vulgar article opposing homosexuality (Phil Robertson?) those outlets would have been wall to wall with anti-Kluwe/anti-Vikings/anti-NFL coverage. Moveon.org would've organized the same student action groups who are protesting the Redskins name to show up everywhere the Vikings went.

I think they wouldve tossed him either way if he comes out that strongly on something that divisive, given the numbers he put up and salary he commanded. If Adrian Peterson had done it they wouldve tolerated (embraced?) it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I don't think for a second they would have embraced it if it were Peterson. There's also a difference between arguing for rights of people and demeaning a group of people (Robertson).
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:10 pm

MWB wrote:I don't think for a second they would have embraced it if it were Peterson. There's also a difference between arguing for rights of people and demeaning a group of people (Robertson).

Technically (in the post DropEmJayBird made), wasn't Kluew demeaning a group of people?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:11 pm

MWB wrote:I don't think for a second they would have embraced it if it were Peterson. There's also a difference between arguing for rights of people and demeaning a group of people (Robertson).

Have you read the way Kluwe writes? He is extremely offensive/insulting.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:24 pm

Peterson's had his share of transgressions and he's still on the team. Erin Henderson picked up his 2nd DUI and is still on the team. They're both good players. Average punters don't get the same leeway. No Steelers fans cared about Ryan Clark running his mouth when he was really good. Now that he's declined fans can't stand him and claim to have always been disgusted with him even though they never said anything about it from 2008-10.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Why was Cedric Wilson cut from the Steelers while James Harrison was retained when both committed similar crimes?
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Rocco wrote:

Peterson's had his share of transgressions and he's still on the team. Erin Henderson picked up his 2nd DUI and is still on the team. They're both good players. Average punters don't get the same leeway. No Steelers fans cared about Ryan Clark running his mouth when he was really good. Now that he's declined fans can't stand him and claim to have always been disgusted with him even though they never said anything about it from 2008-10.

I'm talking about this specific issue, not criminal issues, where the nfl has shown they could care less.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:46 pm

count2infinity wrote:

Technically (in the post DropEmJayBird made), wasn't Kluew demeaning a group of people?

If people have shown their complete lack of respect for other humans, I don't really care if they are demeaned by others. Kind of a show respect to earn respect thing. And it seems like kluwe got the first slap of disrespect.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

MWB wrote:
Rocco wrote:

I'm talking about this specific issue, not criminal issues, where the nfl has shown they could care less.

http://www.outsports.com/2013/9/4/46929 ... es-woodson

Most of those players are good at their jobs.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:31 pm

MWB wrote:If people have shown their complete lack of respect for other humans, I don't really care if they are demeaned by others. Kind of a show respect to earn respect thing. And it seems like kluwe got the first slap of disrespect.

Kluwe has a history of being unprofessional, arrogant, and lashing out at people through social media especially. I understand that the general consensus is that people that don't support gay marriage or whatever deserve to be demeaned (or at least what I am gleaning), but it's not that simple.

This is from September 2012:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kluwe/an-open-letter-to-emmett-burns_b_1866216.html

not only are you clearly violating the First Amendment, but you come across as a narcissistic fromunda stain.

To call that "hypocritical" would be to do a disservice to the word. "Mindf*ckingly, obscenely hypocritical" starts to approach it a little bit.

You wrote, "Many of your fans are opposed to such a view and feel it has no place in a sport that is strictly for pride, entertainment and excitement." Holy f*cking s*itballs. Did you seriously just say that

Are you worried that if gay marriage became legal, all of a sudden you'd start thinking about penis? ("Oh ****. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!") Will all your friends suddenly turn gay and refuse to come to your Sunday Ticket grill-outs? (Unlikely. Gay people enjoy watching football, too.)

Emmitt Burns may be the biggest dirtbag on the planet, but that doesn't excuse Kluwe's actions in any regard. I would have zero qualms about a team releasing him after sending out a letter like this.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:41 pm

It's okay to be belligerent, rude and obnoxious as long as you're on the right side, amirite?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 pm

In case no one has ever read the letter, here is the note that MD Delegate Emmett Burns sent to the Ravens' owner - on official state letterhead, no less - more or less ordering him to step in and muzzle his player, through the cunning use of Improperly Capitalized Words and ham-handed legalese.

This is an elected public official, presumably acting in his capacity as same, using his power and position to lean on a constituent, who just happens to be the owner of one of the largest businesses in the Delegate's district, whose business operation is under the purview of the MD House Economic Matters committee, and its Business Regulation subcommittee.... both of which Burns was a member of at the time he penned that letter.

Such a colossal breach of governmental power, I think, warrants the kind language Kluwe used in his now-infamous c**kmonster open letter. And, as a very vocal supporter of the issue and one who is not keen to look lightly on those who stand in opposition, I found it gutbustingly funny, too.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR