"I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: "I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot" (NFL)

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm not denying Burns is a total dirtbag, but I don't understand what is unreasonable about an employer releasing Kluwe for doing something like that (and we don't even know if that's the case)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18 pm

tifosi77 wrote:In case no one has ever read the letter, here is the note that MD Delegate Emmett Burns sent to the Ravens' owner - on official state letterhead, no less - more or less ordering him to step in and muzzle his player, through the cunning use of Improperly Capitalized Words and ham-handed legalese.

This is an elected public official, presumably acting in his capacity as same, using his power and position to lean on a constituent, who just happens to be the owner of one of the largest businesses in the Delegate's district, whose business operation is under the purview of the MD House Economic Matters committee, and its Business Regulation subcommittee.... both of which Burns was a member of at the time he penned that letter.

Such a colossal breach of governmental power, I think, warrants the kind language Kluwe used in his now-infamous c**kmonster open letter. And, as a very vocal supporter of the issue and one who is not keen to look lightly on those who stand in opposition, I found it gutbustingly funny, too.

I'm not disagreeing with what he wrote in the "monster" letter, and as a fan there were quite a few parts that I laughed at.

But from an employer's perspective, you'd have to imagine they were pooping bricks every time the headline "Chris Kluwe reacts to..." popped up and were left wondering what damage control would be required for his next write-up.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:23 pm

I never knew about this Burns / Kluwe dispute. But if you don't think Burns deserves every bit of vitriol spewed by Kluwe, then this is just an agree to disagree and move one.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I never knew about this Burns / Kluwe dispute. But if you don't think Burns deserves every bit of vitriol spewed by Kluwe, then this is just an agree to disagree and move one.

I feel like I am banging my head against a wall. Burns deserves every bit of vitriol he gets, how many times do I have to say that? But as an employee of ANY company on Earth, you cannot go public with a statement like that and not expect to get fired. That's the point I am trying to make. Obviously everyone loves Kluwe for what he said, but even if the Vikings released him solely for writing that letter, I would have no issue with it. You may not like it, but you simply cannot do that and expect zero ramifications.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:32 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I never knew about this Burns / Kluwe dispute. But if you don't think Burns deserves every bit of vitriol spewed by Kluwe, then this is just an agree to disagree and move one.

I feel like I am banging my head against a wall. Burns deserves every bit of vitriol he gets, how many times do I have to say that? But as an employee of ANY company on Earth, you cannot go public with a statement like that and not expect to get fired. That's the point I am trying to make. Obviously everyone loves Kluwe for what he said, but even if the Vikings released him solely for writing that letter, I would have no issue with it. You may not like it, but you simply cannot do that and expect zero ramifications.

As you said early in the thread, it has nothing to do with the message and everything to do with the way it's delivered.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:33 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the player's union would not agree with that sentiment.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Factorial wrote:I'm pretty sure the player's union would not agree with that sentiment.

youdontsay.jpeg
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Factorial wrote:I'm pretty sure the player's union would not agree with that sentiment.

They're obviously not going to just come outright and saw that's what lead to cutting him. They'll do exactly what they did. Draft a punter and say goodbye. My question is, once he was cut, why didn't anyone pick him up if he really was as good as he claims to be? Probably a combination of what many others in this thread have said: salary is high, stats just aren't there, and age.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Yeah, I think the diary entries posted in the OP paint a sadder tale than meets the eye. The organization made it fairly clear about how to go about this while still supporting the cause, he told them to go kick rocks, I'll do whatever I want...and then the organization told him to take a hike...there's not much that's puzzling about this...

As for why he hasn't been picked up...simple, he's not worth the show. He's an average punter and he comes with potentially negative side effects because of this hoopla...I'd rather just sign an average punter without hoopla...he let his mouth get him in trouble (not because of what his message represents but because of the message itself) and given the marketplace for "average" that exists in sports, it's no surprise that no one wants him...

Look at Chris Campoli and Ron Hainsey in the NHL...you start talking all this sass and start bad mouthing the people that write your checks and you don't go about it the right way, you get left in the cold...Hainsey wasn't signed until mid-September and only because Pitkanen got hurt probably and Campoli never did get an NHL job back...

Other players have spoken out against the owners in the past, but most of them went about it in a better way...it's just common sense really...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:50 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I feel like I am banging my head against a wall. Burns deserves every bit of vitriol he gets, how many times do I have to say that? But as an employee of ANY company on Earth, you cannot go public with a statement like that and not expect to get fired. That's the point I am trying to make. Obviously everyone loves Kluwe for what he said, but even if the Vikings released him solely for writing that letter, I would have no issue with it. You may not like it, but you simply cannot do that and expect zero ramifications.

The issue is he wasn't fired when he was supposedly causing problems. And according to Kluwe, he ran this stuff by the PR department ahead of time, and he was acting with the blessing of the owner of the team.

That said, I do not question the ability of an employer to terminate an employee's status for things like conduct unbecoming or casting the organization in a bad light, morals clause violations, etc. But, as noted, Kluwe had the support of the owner of the team.

This sounds like a case where his coach wanted to cut him for being so vocal, but couldn't because of the cover provided by the owner. Enter in a raft of ho-hum stats, age and money issues, a surgically-repaired leg and boom.... all of a sudden there were valid football reasons for letting him go. And Kluwe doesn't seem to have caught on to that, yet. His coach can be a bigot, and he could have been let go because he was an expensive but mediocre punter.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:10 pm

he also slammed the Catholic church in the media. you can have those opinions but voicing them in a public forum will probably displease many of your team's Catholic fans. it did, and they called the team complaining.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:50 pm

count2infinity wrote:It's okay to be belligerent, rude and obnoxious as long as you're on the right side, amirite?

No.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 pm

lol... usually when someone says "amirite" they know what they said isn't right, right?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:58 pm

rite
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 pm

count2infinity wrote:lol... usually when someone says "amirite" they know what they said isn't right, right?

Double sarcasm.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Average punter shoots mouth off
Average punter has knee surgery
Average punter is cut
Average punter burns as many bridges as possible
Average punter is a bitter cry baby
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:54 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:he also slammed the Catholic church in the media. you can have those opinions but voicing them in a public forum will probably displease many of your team's Catholic fans. it did, and they called the team complaining.

His positioning as a football player that advocates for gay rights gives him some notoriety, but I'm fairly certain he'll never play football again. Being an athlete does not afford you credibility. Period.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:24 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

This. I agree with kluwe in his opinions, but just like the duck dynasty guy being canned, the vikings can cut kluwe or w/e they did. Remember the saying from the AMC thing? Just because you can say it doesn't an it won't have consequences. If his story is true, then preifer is absolutely a bigot, and the vikings can do what they please with their team.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 pm

In case people didn't know, the Duck Dynasty thing was a set up.
An A&E rep was in the room during the interview with GQ... whole thing was most likely planned and boy did it ever work. A&E knew what they were doing, the guys from Duck Dynasty knew what they were doing.. and the next season will be huge.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 pm

I agree that he was probably cut for business and football reasons, but I also believe all of what he said his coaches said/did. So while his release might have been for legit reasons, how he was treated by his coaches wasn't acceptable.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:In case people didn't know, the Duck Dynasty thing was a set up.
An A&E rep was in the room during the interview with GQ... whole thing was most likely planned and boy did it ever work. A&E knew what they were doing, the guys from Duck Dynasty knew what they were doing.. and the next season will be huge.

I have never understood the popularity of this show. Then again, I don't understand the popularity of most reality shows.

Which aren't reality to begin with.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:In case people didn't know, the Duck Dynasty thing was a set up.

I have never understood the popularity of this show. Then again, I don't understand the popularity of most reality shows.

For some guys who pretend to be stupid southern rednecks, they sure have made themselves a small fortune with that parody.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby dodint on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:25 pm

The Dan Whitney plan?
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am

llipgh2 wrote:

exactly. I watched this show for one episode maybe a year ago because I have several co-workers who watch it. I don't get it. this stunt did backfire in a mini way on A&E because the show was exposed for the non-reality fraud that it is thanks to the posting of family pics from the pre-show days.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 am

Kaizer wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

This. I agree with kluwe in his opinions, but just like the duck dynasty guy being canned, the vikings can cut kluwe or w/e they did. Remember the saying from the AMC thing? Just because you can say it doesn't an it won't have consequences. If his story is true, then preifer is absolutely a bigot, and the vikings can do what they please with their team.

Well, I think Shad's posts come off as Kluwe should have been fired for his letter to the politician. I don't agree with that, the Vikings have the right to cut him, sure, but there's a difference between could and should I think.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR