Women under 30 make more than men

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Women under 30 make more than men

Postby ulf on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

lol what a sexist article. Although I guess it's okay if you just call it "feminism"
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 pm

ulf wrote:lol what a sexist article. Although I guess it's okay if you just call it "feminism"

this
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 pm

My wife makes more than me. We don't have kids so the only time it sucks is when I realize how much more spending loot she has than I do.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 am

Many boys start falling behind as early as first grade, and they fail to catch up. Many men, meanwhile, still see school as a waste of time, a girl thing.

Uhh... what? Since when does ANY person think this, man or woman?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 am

To add to my previous post, any person, man or woman that is too short sighted to see the value in the opposite sex is themselves a wisdomless half-wit.

Men aren't obsolete and they never will be. Same goes for women. This comes back to the dirty truth about feminism. It isn't about equality. It's about domination and sexism veiled behind a politically correct word.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 am

I just read the article....wow. This woman is one of those horrifically obnoxious fem-idiots who absolutely hates masculinity in any form or fashion. And I say this as someone that has no issues with the fact my wife makes more than me, or doing more than my share of the housework (laundry, etc). Women like this are absolutely horrible, and I pray for the emasculated husband she marries.

I also saw she has campaigned against breastfeeding. And she's also infamous for saying "good riddance" to Jan Berenstain, of Berenstain Bears fame. Yup, seems like an obnoxious, feminist idiot to me.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 am

I only made it to the title, Men Are Obsolete. I don't need to read it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:10 am

She did before we met. I did after we met. We do now that we met.

Explain to me why I should read the article?

she trolls the mall parking lot looking for a close spot. I park at the closest open spot at the mall and dont shark circle. I win. She wins. Who the F cares?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:21 am

My first thought was that young people can't get corporate jobs these days, so women are making more as waitresses (and teachers) than men are at whatever they're doing.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I don't think this is a sign that corporate America has become egalitarian.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:42 am

I can just imagine the total chaos if a man wrote an article basically cheering for women to become obsolete.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:12 am

Mr. Colby wrote:I know a lot of women that make just enough to pay for the child care required while they're at work

My wife spent some time babysitting for a family where the mom had just recently returned to work. They were paying my wife $12 an hour. The mom was making $13 an hour. Seemed insane to me.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:15 am

count2infinity wrote:If I could, I'd be a stay at home dad in a heartbeat.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 am

I make 2x what my wife makes (4x last year thanks to a deployment), but I'm about to put her through three more years of school so she can get her Doctorate, at which point I fully anticipate and expect her to out earn me. We both hit 30 last year. We're DINKs though so the barriers to adult education and mobility are pretty low. I'd love to be able to sneak into the future and check out our tax returns from 2023 just to see if it's going well for us.

My point is that we work together as a team, like a small company, rather than a microculture of one uppmanship. So stupid to make something like a marriage adversarial when you can just support each other and both go far.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:23 am

dodint wrote:My point is that we work together as a team, like a small company, rather than a microculture of one uppmanship. So stupid to make something like a marriage adversarial when you can just support each other and both go far.

:thumb:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 pm

There's a big gap between our incomes. Id be a little surprised if the company I work for lasts more than 5-7 more years. So at that point, I'll probably have to get a lower paying job and she'll be approaching the upper limits of the teacher pay scale. So we may be even, eventually. The current gap isn't a big deal. My money is "our" money. And it's earmarked for an eventual home renovation or buying a new house, so there's no debate on what to do with our collective savings.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:16 pm

The biggest issue with the whole "pay gap" between sexes is that it's collected in a weird way. They average all males and all females and say for every dollar a male makes a female makes 76 cents or something like that. The interesting part is if you match up, male to female, education levels, job, and job experience for every dollar a male makes a female makes 99 cents (sorry, don't have the citation, just remember it from a paper I read). The choices that are made by both males and females is what leads to this "pay gap". For instance... my wife and I:

We are both going for our PhD in chemistry. We will have completely different skill sets once we both graduate as we've worked in different areas of chemistry. We have different aspirations for what we want to do once we get out of school (I want to go industry, she wants to go education). With those things in mind, yes, I will likely make more than she will, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's female and I'm male, it has everything to do with choices.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I guess seeing some post, and I understand if this is sensative info, but if you are married, do you have seperate accounts for your money, just pool all of your money and it is both of yours, or do you put in for major payments (ie. house, car) and then have your own spending money.

My wife and I are very close in income, although she is going to pass me this year. But even in the past when we had a some disparity, we just always saw the cash as "our" money and do not treat it like there is X amount she can spend and X amount I can spend, etc.

However, I know a few couples that still have seperate accounts, ask each other to borrow money if they are short, and just put thier major expenses together.

What does everyone else do?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:I guess seeing some post, and I understand if this is sensative info, but if you are married, do you have seperate accounts for your money, just pool all of your money and it is both of yours, or do you put in for major payments (ie. house, car) and then have your own spending money.

My wife and I are very close in income, although she is going to pass me this year. But even in the past when we had a some disparity, we just always saw the cash as "our" money and do not treat it like there is X amount she can spend and X amount I can spend, etc.

However, I know a few couples that still have seperate accounts, ask each other to borrow money if they are short, and just put thier major expenses together.

We just got married in October. January will be the first month that our paychecks get put into the same joint account. We still will have our separate accounts for a little bit just to feel it out, be we will likely be closing our other accounts or just leave them open and have very little money saved in them and go straight through the joint account.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 pm

newarenanow wrote:I guess seeing some post, and I understand if this is sensative info, but if you are married, do you have seperate accounts for your money, just pool all of your money and it is both of yours, or do you put in for major payments (ie. house, car) and then have your own spending money.

I think that having separate accounts is one of the oddest things a married couple can do. It reeks of distrust.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:00 pm

My wife and I have seperate accounts (checking, savings, IRAs, stocks, etc), but we do the budget together for the most part. It's more of an adminstrative thing than security. Our accounts are tied together so we can pass money back and forth but we don't see the balances. Because I spent the last two years paying down every cent of debt (except her student loans) there isn't much strain on our financial life so it works. I guess if we were scraping by to buy food and I kept showing up with new tools or more hockey gear it'd be a problem, but we have a pretty healthy buffer/savings which goes a long way.

We divide up the bills as well. I make 2x more, so I pay for the rent, DirecTV, and cell phones. She pays her student loans, electric, utilities, and 'her' stuff like her New York & Company card. Again, mostly administrative. I feel like if we tossed all our money in one big pot and paid out of it that way it'd create more ill feelings than what we do now. If either of us runs short, the other helps out without an issue. Hell, even at Christmas we divide the Christmas gift list and keep them seperate.

Seperate is just easier, I think it eases tension rather than creates it. If were checking her NY&C statements she'd feel more self-conscious in the store and not have as good of a time. If she was checking my Visa statement I'd be defensive about all the dumb **** I buy on Amazon. So long as we're financially healthy as a unit (see business analogy above) a little bit of independence goes a long way.

Bottom line, seperate accounts have their place in some relationships and are not a steadfast indicator of distrust.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 pm

We have separate accounts because we trust that the other person doesn't need monitored.

And there's no actual necessity to join things up, so what's the point?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 pm

I guess I could've just said that and saved some bandwidth. ;)
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:45 pm

shmenguin wrote:We have separate accounts because we trust that the other person doesn't need monitored.

And there's no actual necessity to join things up, so what's the point?

Our main reason for getting a joint account was for paying bills, buying groceries, and buying gas. "Did you pay it last month?" "Is it my turn to pay the cell phone or the electric?" "Did you buy the groceries last time or did I?" Now they'll all be paid from the same account. Makes life easier that way.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 pm

This is really, really important, in my opinion. Policymakers, the feminist movement, and others frequently quote the study that revealed women make X% lower than men in similar paying jobs. I recently read a study that this statistic is misleading (I believe it was in Freakonomics or Super Freakonomics). The study suggested that women tend to work less and spend more time with children or leave the workforce altogether. If this is true, women aren't compensated less. They just take their compensation is a form other than salary -- namely, leisure time.

This study seems to confirm that hypothesis. Women under 30 are less likely to have children or families. If they make more than men, than the salary discrepancy seems to come from something other than discrimination.

I'm not suggesting sex discrimination (subtle or overt, intentional or accidental) does not exist. I'm suggesting this important statistic does not support that assertion.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Yeah, I find it easier just having everything in one account. But that is just my opinion. I don't have to worry about following two account or more accounts. Some find it easier to have multiple accounts, some find it easier to just have it in one. I was just wondering what others do. I think the majority of the time, it doesn't have to do with mistrust or monitoring what the other is doing.

I do find it a little weird when one spouse is only allowed to have X amount of spending money and the other X amount. But then again, I guess I'm fortunate in that both my wife and I are able to spend responsibly without having to be monitored.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR