Women under 30 make more than men

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Women under 30 make more than men

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:53 pm

At one of my jobs, you could "donate" any sick leave to broader pool, which was available to other university employees.
There was a pretty formal process for those who gained them, but it really helped out people in really bad health situations. I made it a point to add to the pool at the end of the year, if I had any left over.

So I'm not heartless. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:58 pm

I always hated when people would take advantage of having kids to get extra days off or to make people feel bad around the holidays and guilt them into letting them take an extra day or two here for the holidays because they had kids. Like for example my current work and previous jobs usually had a policy no more than 2 people out of the office on the same day. I've had people before look at me like I was a d-bag because I had already Pre-planned time off around the holidays and they all of a sudden wanted to take a day off that there was not time available because there kids were coming home etc. It's like... I don't mind doing favors, but these people would do it all the time. I eventually stopped feeling bad and would tell them no. My time off to see my family was just as important as there's was.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:40 am

All of my family is in Pittsburgh, save for my wife, so I understand that feeling. Luckily a friend of my wife's at work donated her leave to her (wife was out of work for 3 weeks with a double mastectomy in November) so we could go home when she was well enough. We were very fortunate and grateful for her friends generosity.

When I worked for the Federal government we had a program that allowed you to donate leave to a pool like your university, I'd be more apt to donate myself if I ever go back to Civil Service due to the kindness we've been shown in that regard.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 pm

columbia wrote:My boss has a pretty liberal, "if you come in to work, but have to go to the doctor or get sick" policy and doesn't require anyone to use up sick or leave time.
We all benefit from it, so I can't complain too much. However, I looked at the staff calendar today and one person - who is constantly doing this - has 4 "events" marked for the next two weeks.

In the long run, it adds up and a number of coworkers have mentioned it in the past....Sure, it's allowed, but there's a point where it translates into taking advantage of the system.

She came in late and left early, due to being "sick." :face:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Maybe she's just not able. Since you obviously are able, why shouldn't you pick up some of her workload? Seems like the progressive thing to do.

(The above was tongue in cheek - obviously the "degree" is way off, but the underlying principle isn't much different from the larger point fiscal conservatives have been making for years.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Factorial on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:55 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Maybe she's just not able. Since you obviously are able, why shouldn't you pick up some of her workload? Seems like the progressive thing to do.

(The above was tongue in cheek - obviously the "degree" is way off, but the underlying principle isn't much different from the larger point fiscal conservatives have been making for years.)

:face: Holy extrapolation Batman!
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to NHR