Cigar Enjoyment?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Cigar Enjoyment?

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 am

George Burns gained fame with one. Cuba can't sell one in the US (not that I know) and if you do get one from Cuba, it comes at a cost. Possible arrest? A day at the horse track or golf course, you see one being chewed on. In old movies, the rich guy with the monocle on a chain twisted one in his fingers between smoking one. Newer movies show the bachelor and friends enjoying one with a snifter or brandy, cognac, etc...

A quick search of a favorite weekend radio show that I missed today reveal there are at least two shows on the national talk show programming circuit that discuss the smoke, taste, burn time of each type, be it short and stout or long and lean. One show that is listed has "living the good life" is its show description.

Not generally welcomed to be smoked by the uninitiated smoker, I wonder the appeal?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Cigar Enjoyment?

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 am

Huh
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 am

mac5155 wrote:Huh

If you smoke one... por que?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 am

A cigar makes you feel like you accomplished something. I dont really enjoy them that much, but eery once in a while a cigar is nice. I know nothing bout them other than i like the bubblegum ones.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 am

I enjoy cigars, but I have nowhere comfortable to smoke them at home and my father in law got throat cancer a few years ago. So that enjoyment is somewhat tempered these days.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 am

I haven't smoked one since I was about 16 and got really sick.
No thanks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:13 am

I enjoy an occasional cigar. Only a quality cigar will do. Usually saved for special occasions.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I enjoy an occasional cigar. Only a quality cigar will do. Usually saved for special occasions.

Agreed.

I'm particularly fond of Padron Annv.

But hey, to each his own.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ulf on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 am

I have one a couple times a year. Last three occasions were a golf outing, pirates getting over 500, and just hanging with some friends outside in the summer. I enjoy it every once in a while, I just really really hate my clothes smelling like smoke
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:02 am

Rocky Patel Decades = cigar enjoyment for me. once or five times a year when I let loose, I usually throw back 6 or 7 from morning to night and put in a good dozen for the weekend, but those are special days (and a tougher week to follow). I usually have a few a month. Rocky Old World Reserves, CAO MX2, Gurkha Blue Steel, Punch uppercut are always in the humidor at home.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 am

eddysnake wrote:Rocky Patel Decades = cigar enjoyment for me. once or five times a year when I let loose, I usually throw back 6 or 7 from morning to night and put in a good dozen for the weekend, but those are special days (and a tougher week to follow). I usually have a few a month. Rocky Old World Reserves, CAO MX2, Gurkha Blue Steel, Punch uppercut are always in the humidor at home.

Decades are great. Have you tried the Oliva G and V series?

I'm more of a RP 1990/1992 man than a decade man, and I absolutely abhor the "sungrown" and "old world" lines.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Rocky Patel Decades = cigar enjoyment for me. once or five times a year when I let loose, I usually throw back 6 or 7 from morning to night and put in a good dozen for the weekend, but those are special days (and a tougher week to follow). I usually have a few a month. Rocky Old World Reserves, CAO MX2, Gurkha Blue Steel, Punch uppercut are always in the humidor at home.

Decades are great. Have you tried the Oliva G and V series?

I'm more of a RP 1990/1992 man than a decade man, and I absolutely abhor the "sungrown" and "old world" lines.

I've had the G series, I'm not a real big fan of Oliva. I recently finished off some Alec Bradley Tempus and those were really nice. I have a RP sungrown that's been sitting in the humi for a couple years, been meaning to pick it up, but haven't come across the right time yet. The 90/92 are great as well. If I'm going away to camp for a weekend or around a lot of guys, I like to pick up some 2nds, never had an issue with any of them.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Try a Fuente 8-5-8 for a decently priced "good" cigar. I like the Robusto size of it. Not too long a smoke.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:06 pm

I used to have 3-4 cigars a year, but have recently replaced that with pipe tobacco. Maybe 10% of the residual odor, only smoke half as long (I used to be bored with a cigar at the halfway point anyway), and a somewhat similar flavor in my unsophisiticated mind. Still, I smoke less than once every other month or so.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 pm

The best one I've ever smoked was a Cuban in the Dominican Republic. Can't remember the name but it was a popular one I believe.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm

I usually go with Ashton or Montecristo White Label Torpedo #2 when I find them....tried so many labels/varieties I can't remenber them all, and I've had Cubans from Montecristo to Cohiba and lesser names, and while I like Cubans I still go back to Domincans, and I'm not to fond of maduros...I will say that Cubans burn a lot better and I assume it's the leaf and wrap, which is what I like about them, and it used to be easy to get them brought in from friends who went to the DR and the Caribbean, but I don't smoke nearly as much as I did 10 or 15 years ago, so not sure if that's still the case. I used to live in Fla @ 25 yrs ago and had a friend in Lauderdale and every once in a while we'd go to Miami and I'd buy a few from the Cuban ex-pats that hand rolled them, and depending on the leaf you'd get a really good cigar, those old guys really knew what they were doing.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 pm

There are so many counterfeit "Cubans" when you go to the islands, I'm guessing the majority are fakes. Don't spend crazy money on a Cuban unless you know for sure it's authentic.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I enjoy an occasional cigar. Only a quality cigar will do. Usually saved for special occasions.

Agreed.

I'm particularly fond of Padron Annv.

But hey, to each his own.

I enjoy an ashton vsg typically once or twice a week. Its cheaper and more enjoyable than a shrink.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:13 pm

I used to be an Ashton, Partagas or Dunhill smoker. Don't do much anymore except on special occasions.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:14 pm

blackjack68 wrote:There are so many counterfeit "Cubans" when you go to the islands, I'm guessing the majority are fakes. Don't spend crazy money on a Cuban unless you know for sure it's authentic.

I don't get the appeal of cubans. I feel like they are popular because you can't get them here. Nothing special about what I've tried.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm

I received a box of phoney Cuban cigars from an aunt who went to Jamaica. The biggest tell was the cut leaf filler. Real Cuban cigars only use whole leaf filler.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Back when I smoked cigars I was a fan of Arturo Fuentes, Ashton, and Punch.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:17 pm

I feel like I paid like $8 for the one I smoked, so it was probably fake. Regardless it tasted great.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 pm

the best cigar i've ever had was a cohiba (cuban). fwiw.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm

That's what it was.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR