Literacy whistleblower

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Literacy whistleblower

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:12 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/ncaa-a ... ?hpt=hp_c2
I view these types as America's Salman Rushdie's. Point out how abysmal our public education is and the auto response is attack the messenger.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Literacy whistleblower

Postby Factorial on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:15 pm

This is more of a story of how athletes are treated in schools than it is with the school system itself.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Factorial wrote:This is more of a story of how athletes are treated in schools than it is with the school system itself.

Yes. Probably a reach on my part but I think those who revealed the massive cheating by teachers and officials to misrepesent school testing results (Atlanta one example) are pariahs in the education field. I think their are lots of functional illiterates or at least poorly educated youth who are handed high school diplomas " that they can't read'(B Clinton)
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Geezer wrote:
Factorial wrote:This is more of a story of how athletes are treated in schools than it is with the school system itself.

Yes. Probably a reach on my part but I think those who revealed the massive cheating by teachers and officials to misrepesent school testing results (Atlanta one example) are pariahs in the education field

Considering school funding is tied to those tests and they are already massively short on resources not cheating on those tests is a disservice to the students. A one time test gives zero reliable data to go off of anyway. It's like the satire comic shows. You're asking a fish, a monkey, and an elephant to climb a tree and then asking why 2/3 can't do it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Indeed. This is an issue I've ranted about for years, and am not at all surprised to see that study's results. Every year, thousands of 'student athletes' walk away with free, unearned college degrees - just because they can play ball.

Bread and Circuses without a doubt.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm

The problem becomes when you try to point out that the student athlete was somehow at fault you have 15 different fingers pointing back and demanding that his cannot possibly the case. Unfortunately, everyone went to school so everyone is an expert. What's happening in school today is akin to you or I telling a doctor how to perform surgery because we ready a research study that explains how it should be done. You cannot fight the cultural machine and as a result we live in a society of mediocrity.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:00 pm

I love all the typos in the literacy thread.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:05 pm

blackjack68 wrote:I love all the typos in the literacy thread.

Yeah, well I'm not writing a dissertation.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Yours wasn't the only nor the most amusing.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Willie Kool wrote:

Indeed. This is an issue I've ranted about for years, and am not at all surprised to see that study's results. Every year, thousands of 'student athletes' walk away with free, unearned college degrees - just because they can play ball.

I don't think there should be athletic scholarships. Change those to academic scholarships for low income students.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Geezer wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:

I don't think there should be athletic scholarships. Change those to academic scholarships for low income students.

I don't have a problem with limited scholarships but would like to see college out of the business of big time sports.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm

To me problems begin at the High school level. I like HS sports and having varsity programs but I'd like to see less dough speny on varsity programs and a large emphasis on intermural sports / physical activities involving a majority of students
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to NHR