DOJ school punishment directive

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

DOJ school punishment directive

Postby Geezer on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: DOJ school punishment directive

Postby pensfan1989 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm not sure how you can claim a "zero tolerance" policy is unfair to any gender or race. I think some of the zero tolerance stuff goes too far, but some of this stuff is ridiculous.

How do you come up with a discipline quota based on race anyhow? If a minority student is suspended for marijuana possession on school grounds, does the school also have to suspend a white student?
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm

"Examples of policies that can raise disparate impact concerns include policies that impose mandatory suspension, expulsion, or citation (e.g., ticketing or other fines or summonses) upon any student who commits a specified offense — such as being tardy to class, being in possession of a cellular phone, being found insubordinate, acting out, or not wearing the proper school uniform.

That's not a race issue.

It almost seems like they're saying "You show up late because of your skin color, you have a cell phone because of your skin color, you act like an a**hat because of your skin color, and you don't wear the right clothes because of your skin color".

They make it sound like the only kids who get in trouble for the aforementioned offenses do so because they're black (which couldn't be further from the truth), and not because they're terrible students.

The only thing I can think of in response to that is :face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:45 pm

I read the article and I don't really understand what is the current situation is, what is being changed, and what the new situation is. It seems like a bunch of complaining about different ways that people can be improperly punished.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to NHR