Beatles 50th Anniversary Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Beatles 50th Anniversary Thread

Postby redwill on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Dylan really influenced John, but it didn't press a huge amount into the band's work. Unless you want to take the position that he inspired the 'serious' material that the band started to produce in their post-"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" early years.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. IMO without Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited there would have been no Rubber Soul. And without Rubber Soul and what progressed from it The Beatles would not be the legends they are today. Then again ... who knows? They were extraordinarily creative, as I think most of us agree.

Of course, IMO Dylan next blew everything and everyone away with Blonde on Blonde. Haha.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I've always wanted to learn to play guitar.

You can learn. You don't have to strive to be a virtuoso, as it's fun to play even the easier songs. Get a Fender Strat and either find a local teacher or sign up to a website and work with a teacher online (there are a few good sites). I've played for 20+ years but it's never too late to begin.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm

I always considered Sgt Pepper as there best.
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 am

Sarcastic wrote:You can learn. You don't have to strive to be a virtuoso, as it's fun to play even the easier songs. Get a Fender Strat and either find a local teacher or sign up to a website and work with a teacher online (there are a few good sites). I've played for 20+ years but it's never too late to begin.

I've been wanting to learn to play the bagpipes. Is it too late for me?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 am

If you want to talk about influencing the Beatles, it's tough not to bring up Harry nillson. The man was the 5th Beatle. Some fascinating interviews and stories out there with their relationship and what impact he had on them.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:28 am

I guess the same thing could be said about Billy Preston who I believe Lennon actually wanted to join the band
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 am

redwill wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You can learn. You don't have to strive to be a virtuoso, as it's fun to play even the easier songs. Get a Fender Strat and either find a local teacher or sign up to a website and work with a teacher online (there are a few good sites). I've played for 20+ years but it's never too late to begin.

I've been wanting to learn to play the bagpipes. Is it too late for me?

Carnegie Mellon offers a degree in bagpiping.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:31 am

eddysnake wrote:I guess the same thing could be said about Billy Preston who I believe Lennon actually wanted to join the band

Yeah, I guess technically he was the 5th Beatles for a while. Nilsson, though, I think they only got know him and his recordings towards the very end of their career as the Beatles, if I'm not mistaken.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
columbia wrote:Well, Brian Wilson is a genius. :)

"Macca" is on record saying that he was incredibly inspired by Pet Sounds and that "God Only Knows" is a favorite.

No surprise then that 'Here, There, and Everywhere' in particular was directly inspired by God Only Knows.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 am

llipgh2 wrote:Carnegie Mellon offers a degree in bagpiping.

Sadly, here in Kansas they only offer degrees in bagsnipping.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am

No love for Brian Epstein and what his did for the boys?
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Gaucho wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I guess the same thing could be said about Billy Preston who I believe Lennon actually wanted to join the band

Yeah, I guess technically he was the 5th Beatles for a while. Nilsson, though, I think they only got know him and his recordings towards the very end of their career as the Beatles, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, you are right, it was around 1968. I love the story of Harry and Lennon heckling the smother brothers. Here is a great article on the Harry and the Beatles, man alive, could that guy party.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2382537/The-Beatles-When-Harry-met--John-Paul-George-Ringo-The-American-Beatles-18-month-lost-weekend-Lennon.html
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:42 pm

eddysnake wrote:If you want to talk about influencing the Beatles, it's tough not to bring up Harry nillson. The man was the 5th Beatle. Some fascinating interviews and stories out there with their relationship and what impact he had on them.

Nilsson schmilsson :D

Check out some of the names in the "Personnel" section of this Nilsson reh-cord (said like a Beatle would say it :) ) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy_Cats
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
eddysnake wrote:If you want to talk about influencing the Beatles, it's tough not to bring up Harry nillson. The man was the 5th Beatle. Some fascinating interviews and stories out there with their relationship and what impact he had on them.

Nilsson schmilsson :D

Check out some of the names in the "Personnel" section of this Nilsson reh-cord (said like a Beatle would say it :) ) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy_Cats

That's pretty awesome, I'm picking up the new Nilsson box set for my wife for her birthday this year, it's pretty impressive. Another great story relating to this is from the recent Nilsson documentary (Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him? which is streaming on netflix and is incredible). At Nilssons funeral, George Harrison broke out to his "You're Breakin' My Heart" (which I have to run to the ipod and change when it comes on around the kids) and everyone gathered around the grave singing as the casket was lowered. Seems kind of fitting.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Sarcastic wrote:

You can learn. You don't have to strive to be a virtuoso, as it's fun to play even the easier songs. Get a Fender Strat and either find a local teacher or sign up to a website and work with a teacher online (there are a few good sites). I've played for 20+ years but it's never too late to begin.

Thanks, Sarcastic! :thumb:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:51 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I always considered Sgt Pepper as there best.

I have a hard time listening to that one. Half the songs don't do anything for me. Hard for me to even locate much melody.

I think Magical Mystery Tour is amazing. I can listen to that with a smile on my face from start to finish.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:01 pm

blackjack68 wrote:No love for Brian Epstein and what his did for the boys?

In terms of inlfuence on their music, George Martin is probably the most underrrated in terms of recognizition vs. how much he affected their sound.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

If you decide, check out these sites. Prices vary, but you work with a teacher, 1 on 1. Whatever your level or desired style is. I know a few people who used these sites and loved learning that way. It isn't very expensive either. A local teacher would likely cost you more. But anyway, even if you got lessons for a few months just to get you started...

http://www.jamplay.com/
http://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php
http://truefire.com/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
Paul McCartney is an underrated bassist. No one really talks about him, but his lines were awesome.

A big reason I love "Paperback Writer" is because of the prominence of the bass. :)

Yeah. Very melodic bass player. Billy Sheehan, who's one of my big influences quotes Paul as one of his favorite bassists because his lines moved those songs along and added a lot of life to them.

I would argue that the two biggest, lasting musical impacts the Beatles had as musicians was 1) writing their own repertoire (Look at how many covers are on their early albums; that was par for the course in the 50s and 60s. The singer/songwriter didn't really exist until artists like the Beatles and Dylan came along), and 2) McCartney's bass playing. Before him, the bass was just the root note of the musical chord, maybe the odd I-IV combo. But McCartney played actual melodies on the bass, which was revelatory. Honestly, I would say he had nearly as big an impact on guitar players as he did bass players, simply because he turned the instrument into a feature rather than a bauble.

Sarcastic wrote:

I started in 1983 at the tender age of 10. Never had any career aspirations or anything, altho by my late teens I was actually pretty good. But I love being able to pick up a guitar and play a song that means something to me, or my wife.

FreeCandy44 wrote:I always considered Sgt Pepper as there best.

It's certainly my favorite. :thumb:
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:52 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

In terms of inlfuence on their music, George Martin is probably the most underrrated in terms of recognizition vs. how much he affected their sound.

I don't know that I'd call him 'underrated' by any means; if anyone can lay claim to being the '5th Beatle', it's him. Think of all the fabulous string and brass arrangements from Beatles songs..... that's Martin. The soundscapes.... Martin. I know Lennon in particular took to disparaging Martin after the Beatles broke up, to which I say Martin forgot more about musical arrangement and composition than Lennon ever knew.... and most of what he knew, he learned from Martin.

Honestly, this public rebuke of Martin's influence on the Beatles' music is a very big reason why I have a hard time embracing Lennon's music. I mean, his material has never been all that appealing to me. But when you add in him throwing Martin under the musical bus..... that's a bridge too far for me.

That might be the first time I've ever seen it expressed as a verb.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Everything you say about Paul is true, tif. :thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:28 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

I don't know that I'd call him 'underrated' by any means; if anyone can lay claim to being the '5th Beatle', it's him. Think of all the fabulous string and brass arrangements from Beatles songs..... that's Martin. The soundscapes.... Martin. I know Lennon in particular took to disparaging Martin after the Beatles broke up, to which I say Martin forgot more about musical arrangement and composition than Lennon ever knew.... and most of what he knew, he learned from Martin.

That's kind of my point. Yes, he's "known," but for those in the musical know, so-to-speak, the monumental impact of his influence is much greater understood and appreciated than just the casual (or even semi-hardcore) "I love The Beatles!" fan.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm struck every time I'm reminded how young he was when he died (32).

Was it Epstein's decision to oust Pete Best? I've read conflicting reports over the years.

While I agree that George Martin was critical to the musical success, I've always thought that Brian Epstein was the glue that held them together as a "band of brothers" (pun intended, sure). I read somewhere that the Beatles struggled to recover emotionally after his death, and I wonder if that's true.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

Honestly, this public rebuke of Martin's influence on the Beatles' music is a very big reason why I have a hard time embracing Lennon's music. I mean, his material has never been all that appealing to me. But when you add in him throwing Martin under the musical bus..... that's a bridge too far for me.

That might be the first time I've ever seen it expressed as a verb.

Imagine John Lennon saying, "It sounds so dirty." :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

If you decide, check out these sites. Prices vary, but you work with a teacher, 1 on 1. Whatever your level or desired style is. I know a few people who used these sites and loved learning that way. It isn't very expensive either. A local teacher would likely cost you more. But anyway, even if you got lessons for a few months just to get you started...

http://www.jamplay.com/
http://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php
http://truefire.com/

Wonderful. Thank you for taking the time!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR