US allows cartel to smuggle billions worth of drugs

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

US allows cartel to smuggle billions worth of drugs

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:33 pm

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/13/u_s_dea ... _smuggled/

An investigation by El Universal (flagged by Business Insider) found that Sinaloa (believed to supply 80 percent of Chicago’s street drugs) has been working with U.S. authorities since 2000 to provide information in return for immunity and undisturbed drug trafficking. Court documents obtained by El Universal show testimony from DEA and DOJ officials affirming the relationship.

I'm thinking it's at least somewhat likely then that HSBC was laundering money for the cartels at the behest -or at least with the knowledge of- our DOJ, which was also supplying arms to cartels.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: US allows cartel to smuggle billions worth of drugs

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

GaryRissling wrote:http://www.salon.com/2014/01/13/u_s_deal_with_cartel_let_billions_of_dollars_of_drugs_be_smuggled/

An investigation by El Universal (flagged by Business Insider) found that Sinaloa (believed to supply 80 percent of Chicago’s street drugs) has been working with U.S. authorities since 2000 to provide information in return for immunity and undisturbed drug trafficking. Court documents obtained by El Universal show testimony from DEA and DOJ officials affirming the relationship.

I'm thinking it's at least somewhat likely then that HSBC was laundering money for the cartels at the behest -or at least with the knowledge of- our DOJ, which was also supplying arms to cartels.

Fast and Furious?
Seems that if true, the placement of a few traffic cones on the GWB would pale in comparision.

Although that raises the question about the timing of the revelation.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

how many of the arguments you pose on the board do you actually believe? 20%?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 pm

There is no discernible objective to our policy regarding the MEX/US drug trade beyond creating situations that influence the public to demand stronger law enforcement.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

GaryRissling wrote:There is no discernible objective to our policy regarding the MEX/US drug trade beyond creating situations that influence the public to demand stronger law enforcement.

Sorry, my question wasn't posed to you. It was to EPP drawing a connection with this article to the Christie scandal.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby roland on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 pm

One of the comments at the bottom of the article laid things out pretty nicely:

A VERY BRIEF HISTORY:

* Shortly after World War II, the OSS (the predecessor of the CIA) formed a strategic alliance with the Sicilian and Corsican mafia.

* During the 1950s, In order to provide covert funds to forces loyal to General Chiang Kai-Shek (they were fighting the Chinese communists under Mao Zedong), the CIA helped the Kuomintang (KMT) smuggle opium to Thailand from China and Burma. They even provided planes owned by one of their front businesses—Air America.

* During the long years of the cold war, the CIA mounted major covert guerilla operations along the Soviet-Chinese border. In 1950, for their operation against communist China in northeastern Burma, and from 1965 to 1975 [during the Vietnam war] for their operation in northern Laos, the CIA recruited, as allies, people we now refer to as drug lords.

* Throughout the 1980s, in Afghanistan, the CIA supported the Mujahedin rebels (in their efforts against the pro-Soviet government) by facilitating their opium smuggling operations. A small local trade in opium was turned into a major source of supply for the world's markets, including the United States. Thus Afghanistan become the largest supplier of illicit opium on the planet—a status only briefly interrupted when it was under Taliban control.

* Again during the 1980s, the Reagan administration, using cocaine smuggling operations, funded a guerrilla force known as the Nicaraguan Contras—even after such funding was outlawed by Congress. An August 1996 series in the San Jose Mercury News by Pulitzer Prize­-winner Gary Webb clearly linked the origins of crack cocaine in California to the CIA and the Contras.

Follow this link to an electronic briefing book compiled from declassified documents obtained by the National Security Archive. It includes the notebooks kept by NSC aide and Iran-Contra figure Oliver North, electronic mail messages written by high-ranking Reagan administration officials, memos detailing the contra war effort and FBI and DEA reports. The documents demonstrate official knowledge of drug operations, and also collaboration with, and protection of, known drug traffickers. Court and hearing transcripts are also included.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB2/nsaebb2.htm

* In November 1996, a Miami grand jury indicted former Venezuelan anti-narcotics chief, and longtime-CIA asset, General Ramon Guillen Davila. He had been smuggling many tons of cocaine into the United States from a CIA owned Venezuelan warehouse. During his trial, Guillen claimed that all of his drug smuggling operations were approved by the CIA.

* The Dirección Federal de Seguridad (DFS), a Mexican intelligence agency (spawned in 1947) was practically a creation of the CIA. DFS badges were handed out to top-level Mexican drug traffickers—thus giving them a virtual 'License to Traffic'. The Guadalajara Cartel (Mexico's most powerful drug-trafficking network in the early 1980s) prospered largely because it enjoyed the protection of the DFS, under its chief Miguel Nazar Haro, also a CIA asset.

For far more detailed information kindly google any of the following:

* The Big White Lie: The CIA and the Cocaine/Crack Epidemic by former DEA agent Michael Levine

* Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion by Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Gary Webb

* Whiteout: The CIA, Drugs and the Press by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair

* The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade by Alfred W. McCoy

* The Underground Empire: Where Crime and Governments Embrace by James Mills

* Compromised: Clinton, Bush and the CIA by Terry Reed, (a former Air Force Intelligence operative) and John Cummings (a former prize-winning investigative reporter at N.Y Newsday)

I was surprised that it wasn't the usual "Obama did it" response. After all, he IS President and this is still occurring on his watch...and you can't blame the previous administration(s)
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Troy Loney wrote:how many of the arguments you pose on the board do you actually believe? 20%?

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Juice on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Troy Loney wrote:how many of the arguments you pose on the board do you actually believe? 20%?

HE WILL PUNCH YOU RIGHT IN THE NOSE RUCKUS BOY
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:06 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Fast and Furious?

If this is true, it would make Fast & Furious look like a science fair project.

Law enforcement - at all levels - allow a certain amount of criminal activity to take place in exchange for information on other, bigger fish. And I'm okay with that, conceptually; I'd rather the street pusher be given some slack if he ultimately lets me get the guy who's supplying him with his product. But law enforcement is not supposed to be complicit with those bigger fish. That defeats the purpose.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:13 pm

We should just impeach everybody and start over.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Here's a link to the trial of the cartel leader's son where these allegations were first made:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... nd-furious

If they were given immunity why was the son of the cartel leader on trial? I can't read Spanish so can't read the article on El Universal.

With that said, the title of this thread should be changed to "US allegedly allows cartel to smuggle billions worth of drugs". Hopefully, someone will pick up this story in the US and examine what evidence El Universal has.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:There is no discernible objective to our policy regarding the MEX/US drug trade beyond creating situations that influence the public to demand stronger law enforcement.

Sorry, my question wasn't posed to you. It was to EPP drawing a connection with this article to the Christie scandal.

What are you talking about? Connection? Where did I say the two were "connected"?

I'm talking about the relative amount of media coverage of each event.

"Connection"? :face:

Zzzaaaaaaappppppp.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:19 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm talking about the relative amount of media coverage of each event.

I'm going to want a bit more information about this allegation before I lose my head over the media coverage. But one thing that I think the El Universal story has in its favor is that they only cite sources who were willing to be identified on the record. That's either incredibly brave, or a front for false flag.

At any rate, let's see what the next 24 hours bring.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 pm

At what point does ******** about media coverage on a hockey site change the news into an objective reporting source? Maybe up your complaints from every other post to 2 out of 3. Thats an a-hole way to put it, but we get it, really. Its a valid problem, but it isnt a backstop to counter every political event that wads up your pantes.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Kaizer wrote:At what point does ******** about media coverage on a hockey site change the news into an objective reporting source?

Did you miss the part that I wrote that said "If true..."

I'm not the one who quoted the source.

Not only that (and the "if true...") comment, but I also said that "the timing of the relevation was suspect".

Kaizer wrote:Maybe up your complaints from every other post to 2 out of 3. Thats an a-hole way to put it

Yep, you said it.

But hey, at this point I could say the sky was blue and ya'll would find some reason to point out that clouds are white.

It's all good. I actually enjoy it.

Zaaaaaaaaaapppppp!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Kaizer wrote:At what point does ******** about media coverage on a hockey site change the news into an objective reporting source?

Did you miss the part that I wrote that said "If true..."

I'm not the one who quoted the source.

Not only that (and the "if true...") comment, but I also said that "the timing of the relevation was suspect".

Kaizer wrote:Maybe up your complaints from every other post to 2 out of 3. Thats an a-hole way to put it

Yep, you said it.

But hey, at this point I could say the sky was blue and ya'll would find some reason to point out that clouds are white.

It's all good. I actually enjoy it.

Zaaaaaaaaaapppppp!

lololololololololololololol
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Isn't this the Danny Trejo plot on Sons of Anarchy?
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:13 pm

I now see where Godric gets it from.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Isn't this the Danny Trejo plot on Sons of Anarchy?

Very similar to the Romeo Prada character.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 pm

All this post baby Shaf does is lol.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to NHR